Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

2013 Road.cc Tourist Trophy

Right then, new year, new challenge.

For 2013 I present the Road.cc Tourist Trophy - ride in a different county each month of the year.

Basically an excuse to travel round this country and remind ourselves how beautiful it is, visit some places you’ve always wanted to go, and maybe see far-flung friends you’ve been meaning to ride with for ages.

The rules are pretty simple – aim to ride in a different county every month of 2013.

You’re not allowed to count your home county as a tick for a month.

You can start from your home county and ride into a neighbouring one, but only to claim a maximum of two counties so that those within striking distance of many aren’t at an unfair advantage.

You’re allowed one Wild Card foreign destination for a month should you be lucky enough to travel overseas. A ride must be what you would normally class as a proper ride and not just a quick spin round the car-park to claim a county. A race will count as a ride.

There won’t be a trophy. Maybe just some socks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

73 comments

themanfromicon | 11 years ago
0 likes

hey Jo, cracking idea. I'm in!

I'm claiming my first "ride to neighbouring county" county. Couple of weekends ago I was meeting friends in Surrey, so decided to ride up from Brighton. We were meeting just over the border from Sussex, so did a quick(ish) lap of some of the Surrey Hills - Leith, Ranmore, Box - so it would count as a proper ride.

Next month: Kent. Maybe.

Blackhound | 11 years ago
0 likes

I did Powys (and Ceredigeon) yesterday. I live in Derbyshire.

Carlucci Cannondale | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm in for this. And started yesterday with West Sussex (I live in Derbyshire)

Carlucci Cannondale replied to Carlucci Cannondale | 11 years ago
0 likes
Carlucci Cannondale wrote:

I'm in for this. And started yesterday with West Sussex (I live in Derbyshire)

Think I'm gonna start a list...

8th Jan - West Sussex
23rd Jan - Cornwall (plus a bit in Devon)

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

great idea!

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

The IOW isn't a foreign place.

It's a foreign time.

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

i say go with whatever your conscience/pedantry is most happy with

i'm treating Sussex as the one county for my home shire because i live right on the East/West border so bagging the other half would be too easy

don't get too carried away with it or i may just class the Isle of Wight as a foreign destination Wild Card  3

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

We're going to need a bit of clarity before we get arguments - what's our definitive list of counties? Wikipedia's map of ceremonial counties?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counties_of_England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceremonial_counties_of_England

Though that lists Hampshire and the Isle of Wight separately, and they're more often conflated. Greater London and the City of London are spearately listed, too.

Still, since London's a bit of a pain to get round and the ferry's arguably more effort than just riding over a boundary, maybe that's fair.

Do we go with that then, the Wikipedia list? Your call, Jo...

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'll have a go. I thought that I was going to be in for an easy ride as I could do six counties in a day without having to go too far. Then I read the rules again. I still think that I can do it. It should be fun.

lob | 11 years ago
0 likes

Might give this a go also, and should get an overseas inclusion  1

Does London count as one county?  39

Blackhound | 11 years ago
0 likes

I will try for this, could be fun.

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well, I've already got the socks, so maybe I can take them on tour. Count me in.

mooseman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Socks, ooooh. Always need socks...
(disappears to match address book to maps...)

Pages

Latest Comments