Home

This time last year I said I was going to cycle 8000 miles. Im afraid I was just a little short of that total at 7238 miles though I think it was a good attempt.

Not sure what goal im going for yet as this will be a year of change for me work wise and possibly not the usual 23 miles to work and back.

Ill make a conservative estimate of 6500 miles but will be looking to do more.

Has anyone else got plans for 2013  39

53 comments

Avatar
SideBurn [890 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

My plan is a gold medal from the Dartmoor Classic.... again... same as last year. So far have tales of woe, bad luck and two bronze and two silver medals. So far I have snapped a chain one year snapped seat post another started too fast another and had to wait for my son who also snapped a chain. I do not usually have any problems but this ride has become a real pain. This is my year  16

Avatar
malmesburyclarioncc [26 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Like every year I will try to average 100 miles a week whilst always hoping to reach 6000. It's odd really, I used to manage that sort of mileage when I worked and I only do the same amount now I'm retired. I have no excuse not to do more.

Avatar
lob [18 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

4 day charity ride in May, do my first sportives to help prep for this, ride or use turbo a few times a week. Don't commute on bike so somewhere around 4000 miles will be an excellent target to reach and far higher than what I did last year (only got bike in Feb).

Hope to get 'cross bike later in year to use as winter trainer too.

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
SideBurn wrote:

My plan is a gold medal from the Dartmoor Classic.... again... same as last year. So far have tales of woe, bad luck and two bronze and two silver medals. So far I have snapped a chain one year snapped seat post another started too fast another and had to wait for my son who also snapped a chain. I do not usually have any problems but this ride has become a real pain. This is my year  16

Nice one mate. Im having a go at a route in the derbyshire hills later this year at this address

http://bit.ly/hathersageloop

Have fun on yours

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
malmesburyclarioncc wrote:

Like every year I will try to average 100 miles a week whilst always hoping to reach 6000. It's odd really, I used to manage that sort of mileage when I worked and I only do the same amount now I'm retired. I have no excuse not to do more.

Have fun gettin the mileage in buddy  1

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
lob wrote:

4 day charity ride in May, do my first sportives to help prep for this, ride or use turbo a few times a week. Don't commute on bike so somewhere around 4000 miles will be an excellent target to reach and far higher than what I did last year (only got bike in Feb).

Hope to get 'cross bike later in year to use as winter trainer too.

Thats a good target to reach lob and good luck with yer ride from London to Brussels in May. Enjoy yer training!!

Avatar
paulfg42 [386 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Get used to clipless pedals and join a club.

Avatar
andybnk [97 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I plan to start racing as a 4th cat! Have been building up to it for a year and hopefully am getting fast enough to keep up!

Avatar
Mooman16 [25 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Planning to do make more time for racing (4th cat) and time trialling this year. Up to now it has been mostly sportives.

Avatar
stepho [90 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Doing my first sportive (kendal) in may then my first Ton. Looking forward to a great summer of cycling

 1

Avatar
Spooks [59 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Geez respect to OP on mileage, I have a plan of a mere 3000miles for this year in comparison. Wanna do a night time coast to coast and potentially join a club as well as a few sportives.

Avatar
Squiggle [403 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Train hard and smart and hopefully follow it up with enough results to get to Cat 2.

Avatar
dave atkinson [6209 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

aiming to do the brevet cymru 400k audax in may. although i'll need to not be as fat and lazy as i am right now  39

Avatar
Yorkshie Whippet [521 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Paris-Roubaix Challenge again as they've changed the route and offer a 170km with 29 pave sectors. Would like to ride the World Champs routes but not seen anything yet. Tour de France routes around Leeds. Move towards more than 50 miles a ride.

Evans Ride It, Leeds
Captain Cook chall, (if it's on)
King of the Downs
King of Pennines
Ryedale Rumble
Complete the Mills and Hills this year.

And to be happy riding what I have and stop buying new stuff.

Already setting goals for 2014, Tour of Flanders, Etape de Tour around Leeds  1

Avatar
aende [32 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Carry on commuting 120 miles a week on the fixie, do another 50 to 100 over the weekend when possible on the roadie. Start running a couple of nights a week and do some boxing training - gain some all round fitness.

Update the 7 speed 105 to 9 speed Dura Ace on the bike.

Have another baby in May....

Avatar
badback [302 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I started last year with plans to do 5000 miles, I ended up doing 5000 km due to injury and illness.

My aim this year is to build on that and beat 2012's total and stay injury free.

Avatar
Raleigh [1665 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Moving up to the Junior Age cat. so get experience in road races proper (1st year u18 3rd Cat)

Hopefully get a place on my team's squad for the Junior Tours of Wales and Kent.

Avatar
James Warrener [1081 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Aiming to enjoy it and get out with some better weather.

Avatar
FMOAB [261 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Last year I aimed to complete a 200k audax and managed to achieve that by March, I then aimed for the Brevet 1000 (5 x 200) which I failed to do after running out of time on my fifth at about 180k. This year I intend to achieve the Brevet 1000, and complete my first 300k audax. Not bad progress for someone who a few years ago weighed 28 stone and had difficulty cycling more than 4 miles.

Avatar
Bedfordshire Clanger [344 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

The Tour of Wessex and La Marmotte are the headlines for me along with the road.cc metric century and tourist challenges, plenty of riding with my 11 year old son on his new road bike and as many trips to the Peaks as I can get away with.

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
paulfg42 wrote:

Get used to clipless pedals and join a club.

Nice steady goal mate. If yer a member of CTC there site has loads of clubs over the country same as BC if ya a member of them

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
andybnk wrote:

I plan to start racing as a 4th cat! Have been building up to it for a year and hopefully am getting fast enough to keep up!

Hope ya do andy

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Mooman16 wrote:

Planning to do make more time for racing (4th cat) and time trialling this year. Up to now it has been mostly sportives.

Hope yer right up there with the fast lads  1

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
stepho wrote:

Doing my first sportive (kendal) in may then my first Ton. Looking forward to a great summer of cycling

 1

Its great when ya get 1st ton in stepho. Great stepping stone to bigger rides.

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Spooks wrote:

Geez respect to OP on mileage, I have a plan of a mere 3000miles for this year in comparison. Wanna do a night time coast to coast and potentially join a club as well as a few sportives.

Which C to C are ya thinking of doing. Id like to have a go at the Way of the Roses from Morecombe to Bridlington at 170 miles. Too far for a nighttime ride? Dunno. Respect to you for whichever way ya go at it Spooks

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Squiggle wrote:

Train hard and smart and hopefully follow it up with enough results to get to Cat 2.

Nice One Squig

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

aiming to do the brevet cymru 400k audax in may. although i'll need to not be as fat and lazy as i am right now  39

Like ya style Dave Jus the word cymru puts fear in me legs!! Kudos for havin a go at a 400k. Thats tough.

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Yorkshie Whippet wrote:

Paris-Roubaix Challenge again as they've changed the route and offer a 170km with 29 pave sectors. Would like to ride the World Champs routes but not seen anything yet. Tour de France routes around Leeds. Move towards more than 50 miles a ride.

Evans Ride It, Leeds
Captain Cook chall, (if it's on)
King of the Downs
King of Pennines
Ryedale Rumble
Complete the Mills and Hills this year.

And to be happy riding what I have and stop buying new stuff.

Already setting goals for 2014, Tour of Flanders, Etape de Tour around Leeds  1

Respect for all that YW. Wish I had the time to do all that but havnt at the mo. Wheres the Mills & Hills ride. Sounds distinctly Yorkshireish!!

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
aende wrote:

Carry on commuting 120 miles a week on the fixie, do another 50 to 100 over the weekend when possible on the roadie. Start running a couple of nights a week and do some boxing training - gain some all round fitness.

Update the 7 speed 105 to 9 speed Dura Ace on the bike.

Have another baby in May....

Sounds like a busy year aende. Congrats for the baby when it arrives  1

Avatar
formereve [61 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
badback wrote:

I started last year with plans to do 5000 miles, I ended up doing 5000 km due to injury and illness.

My aim this year is to build on that and beat 2012's total and stay injury free.

Hope it goes well for ya mate  1

Pages