What are your plans for 2013 ......

by formereve   January 1, 2013  

This time last year I said I was going to cycle 8000 miles. Im afraid I was just a little short of that total at 7238 miles though I think it was a good attempt.

Not sure what goal im going for yet as this will be a year of change for me work wise and possibly not the usual 23 miles to work and back.

Ill make a conservative estimate of 6500 miles but will be looking to do more.

Has anyone else got plans for 2013 Thinking

53 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

stepho wrote:
Doing my first sportive (kendal) in may then my first Ton. Looking forward to a great summer of cycling

Smile

Its great when ya get 1st ton in stepho. Great stepping stone to bigger rides.

nige

formereve's picture

posted by formereve [65 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 1:49

7 Likes

Spooks wrote:
Geez respect to OP on mileage, I have a plan of a mere 3000miles for this year in comparison. Wanna do a night time coast to coast and potentially join a club as well as a few sportives.

Which C to C are ya thinking of doing. Id like to have a go at the Way of the Roses from Morecombe to Bridlington at 170 miles. Too far for a nighttime ride? Dunno. Respect to you for whichever way ya go at it Spooks

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 1:55

6 Likes

Squiggle wrote:
Train hard and smart and hopefully follow it up with enough results to get to Cat 2.

Nice One Squig

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 1:56

5 Likes

Dave Atkinson wrote:
aiming to do the brevet cymru 400k audax in may. although i'll need to not be as fat and lazy as i am right now Thinking

Like ya style Dave Jus the word cymru puts fear in me legs!! Kudos for havin a go at a 400k. Thats tough.

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:00

5 Likes

Yorkshie Whippet wrote:
Paris-Roubaix Challenge again as they've changed the route and offer a 170km with 29 pave sectors. Would like to ride the World Champs routes but not seen anything yet. Tour de France routes around Leeds. Move towards more than 50 miles a ride.

Evans Ride It, Leeds
Captain Cook chall, (if it's on)
King of the Downs
King of Pennines
Ryedale Rumble
Complete the Mills and Hills this year.

And to be happy riding what I have and stop buying new stuff.

Already setting goals for 2014, Tour of Flanders, Etape de Tour around Leeds Smile

Respect for all that YW. Wish I had the time to do all that but havnt at the mo. Wheres the Mills & Hills ride. Sounds distinctly Yorkshireish!!

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:04

3 Likes

aende wrote:
Carry on commuting 120 miles a week on the fixie, do another 50 to 100 over the weekend when possible on the roadie. Start running a couple of nights a week and do some boxing training - gain some all round fitness.

Update the 7 speed 105 to 9 speed Dura Ace on the bike.

Have another baby in May....

Sounds like a busy year aende. Congrats for the baby when it arrives Smile

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:07

4 Likes

badback wrote:
I started last year with plans to do 5000 miles, I ended up doing 5000 km due to injury and illness.

My aim this year is to build on that and beat 2012's total and stay injury free.

Hope it goes well for ya mate Smile

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:08

3 Likes

Raleigh wrote:
Moving up to the Junior Age cat. so get experience in road races proper (1st year u18 3rd Cat)

Hopefully get a place on my team's squad for the Junior Tours of Wales and Kent.

Im guessing youll be riding for Raleigh with ya name and all. I see a few lads riding from Raleigh round Holbrook and Coxbench particularly Drum Hill and Sandy Lane doing intervals. Good bunch of lads. Hope it happens for ya Smile

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:13

3 Likes

jimmythecuckoo wrote:
Aiming to enjoy it and get out with some better weather.

Can see you already do enjoy it with ya strava signature Jimmy. Nice one

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:15

2 Likes

FMOAB wrote:
Last year I aimed to complete a 200k audax and managed to achieve that by March, I then aimed for the Brevet 1000 (5 x 200) which I failed to do after running out of time on my fifth at about 180k. This year I intend to achieve the Brevet 1000, and complete my first 300k audax. Not bad progress for someone who a few years ago weighed 28 stone and had difficulty cycling more than 4 miles.

Nothing but respect for all youve done FMOAB. Been showing the lads at work yer post to show they can get fit if they want to. Well done mate.

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:17

5 Likes

Bedfordshire Clanger wrote:
The Tour of Wessex and La Marmotte are the headlines for me along with the road.cc metric century and tourist challenges, plenty of riding with my 11 year old son on his new road bike and as many trips to the Peaks as I can get away with.

Great challenge for La Marmotte. Enjoy!!

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 2:20

6 Likes

My year is geared around training for the Ride London 100 which I shall be riding for the Hospice that I work for. So I shalll be increasing the days that I communte to work and in slowly increasing my Sunday morning rides up from there current 30 miles approx level. Also aim to join the local club as well and do a bit of track riding at Calshot.

posted by Saint Mikie 41 [37 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 8:19

3 Likes

Go under 28 minutes for a 10.

Go under 2:25 for the 52 mile route of the Great Manchester Cycle.

Get out with the club as many Sundays as possible.

If I manage to switch workplaces to somewhere that's a good commuting distance, all the better.

Last night I would have considered trading a very loud baby for a really nice bike.

posted by notfastenough [3242 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 11:18

7 Likes

I'm gonna stop being a pussy ie rule #5 Big Grin

and just get out as much as poss and push for silver at my 3rd Dartmoor classic. Year 1 i crawled home with severe knee pain(sorted now) year 2 got screwed by awful head wind! Angry

So training, training and more training Devil

'Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you'

livestrongnick's picture

posted by livestrongnick [1838 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 11:32

3 Likes

Going to do my first big run for many a year, Virgin Cyclone 104 miles around Northumberland.

On a slightly different topic also going to do Hadrians Wall on my own for charity.

‘It is useless to meet revenge with revenge: it will heal nothing.’

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2782 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 13:24

3 Likes

Nige,

Mill and Hills is from Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire. It's actually called Mills Hills. But that just sounds wrong. Wore the wrong gear. Spent most of the route either overheating or shivering, often it felt at the same time.

Cheers

posted by Yorkshie Whippet [295 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 13:38

3 Likes

10k miles is my goal as it has been for the past 2 years both of which I've managed around 8.5k. Need to make the most of the summer and get a few 1k months in to compensate for the missed sessions in the winter due to ice/snow etc

posted by bike_food [93 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 14:30

5 Likes

well, aim high, keep it simple:

i'm hoping to improve my 25 mile PB from 50.21 to 49 something. i'd also like to bring my 10 PB down a bit from 19.42 to somewhere around 19.30, but i can take or leave this one.

that's about it. I'd like to enjoy riding my bike as much as possible and cut down on the travelling to get to races, i.e 3 hours in the car for 20 minutes on the road, or even less for some hill climbs = not so good.

posted by pj [139 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 14:52

4 Likes

To ride again! Haven't been on a bike since nov and the injury still playing up. Hopefully this will pass and I can have a fit and healthy remainder of the year!

posted by Super Domestique [1607 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 15:13

4 Likes

Liking the look of that Cyclone route Stumpy, plenty of scenery to keep your mind off the miles Wink

Hoping with the help of training peaks to push my fitness a bit further this year, improve a few sportive times and get some better placings in MTB Marathons.

posted by Saintyl [15 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 15:39

2 Likes

My plans arent too bold really. Commute as much as possible, maybe on of the Performance cycles mini sportives this winter and a few MTB enduros, the Forest of Dean Classic, Exmouth Exodus, London Triathlon (I know, I know!)couple of races (running)

Some bloke called Eddy once told me: "Don't buy upgrages, ride up grades"

spin cycle's picture

posted by spin cycle [56 posts]
3rd January 2013 - 17:13

4 Likes

Saint Mikie 41 wrote:
My year is geared around training for the Ride London 100 which I shall be riding for the Hospice that I work for. So I shalll be increasing the days that I communte to work and in slowly increasing my Sunday morning rides up from there current 30 miles approx level. Also aim to join the local club as well and do a bit of track riding at Calshot.

Thats sounds good. How many miles do ya do to work?

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 18:48

4 Likes

notfastenough wrote:
Go under 28 minutes for a 10.

Go under 2:25 for the 52 mile route of the Great Manchester Cycle.

Get out with the club as many Sundays as possible.

If I manage to switch workplaces to somewhere that's a good commuting distance, all the better.

Last line sounds a bit like me nfe! Are ya a member of BC? Theyve got some cracking training plans!!

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 18:52

3 Likes

livestrongnick wrote:
I'm gonna stop being a pussy ie rule #5 Big Grin

and just get out as much as poss and push for silver at my 3rd Dartmoor classic. Year 1 i crawled home with severe knee pain(sorted now) year 2 got screwed by awful head wind! Angry

So training, training and more training Devil

If ya need some training plans I got some from BC. I can send um to ya.

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 18:54

3 Likes

stumps wrote:
Going to do my first big run for many a year, Virgin Cyclone 104 miles around Northumberland.

On a slightly different topic also going to do Hadrians Wall on my own for charity.

Youve re awakened my desire to get up to Northumberland. Never been but still wanna go. Cheers mate and enjoy yer rides

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 18:56

4 Likes

Yorkshie Whippet wrote:
Nige,

Mill and Hills is from Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire. It's actually called Mills Hills. But that just sounds wrong. Wore the wrong gear. Spent most of the route either overheating or shivering, often it felt at the same time.

Cheers

Heard of Hebden Bridge and think its near Dewsbury am I right. Yea its nasty when youve got the wrong clothing on. Enjoy the ride mate

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 19:00

3 Likes

bike_food wrote:
10k miles is my goal as it has been for the past 2 years both of which I've managed around 8.5k. Need to make the most of the summer and get a few 1k months in to compensate for the missed sessions in the winter due to ice/snow etc

Nice Target! Hope ya get it in

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 19:01

1 Like

pj wrote:
well, aim high, keep it simple:

i'm hoping to improve my 25 mile PB from 50.21 to 49 something. i'd also like to bring my 10 PB down a bit from 19.42 to somewhere around 19.30, but i can take or leave this one.

that's about it. I'd like to enjoy riding my bike as much as possible and cut down on the travelling to get to races, i.e 3 hours in the car for 20 minutes on the road, or even less for some hill climbs = not so good.

Way out of my league!! Best 25 ive EVER done is 1'20". Sounds like a realistic goal too. Respect for that

nige

formereve's picture

3rd January 2013 - 19:06

3 Likes

Aims for the year are:

1. Do 1000 miles per quarter
2. Do at least one Sportive per quarter, increasing mileage in each event where possible
3. Cycle from home (Kilmarnock) to the in-laws (Dundee) roughly 110 miles by end of third quarter
4. Increase average speed
5. Lose a stone in weight.

If I can do all this by the end of the year I will be delighted. Lost three stone, quit fags and did my first sportive last year.

posted by Gman59c [79 posts]
4th January 2013 - 13:08

2 Likes

If it falls into place do Paris - London
Maintain my 200 pw
Increase my avg mph

giff77's picture

posted by giff77 [1058 posts]
4th January 2013 - 17:48

1 Like