Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Christmas : what I wanted vs, what I got

I can't air these views at home but with the anonymity of the web I can unleash my inner brat.

Wanted: Torque wrench. Got : Coffee machine
Wanted: Cycle lock. Got: a chocolate lollipop.
Wanted: Cycling cap. Got : a snood.

anyone else wanna go?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wanted: new Green day album.
Got: new Green day album and a flat car battery because glove box light was left on for 3 days, now car stereo wants code which I don't have and can't listen to CD in car.

SideBurn replied to bike_food | 11 years ago
0 likes
bike_food wrote:

Wanted: new Green day album.
Got: new Green day album and a flat car battery because glove box light was left on for 3 days, now car stereo wants code which I don't have and can't listen to CD in car.

Despite being left in the shed for several days my bike started first time; but I cannot for the life of me work out what bit is the stereo, let alone input a code  19 The birds and tyres make my sound track  16

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Asked for
21 days to glory - got In pursuit of glory (now got 2 copies)

scarf got wallet (now got 3)

cash to buy my own things got socks, chocolates and port.

In the end did some overtime at work and when i get paid it i will go and buy what i wanted.  2

SideBurn replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

In the end did some overtime at work and when i get paid it i will go and buy what i wanted.  2

I hope you didn't need to get your truncheon out.... It is (was) Christmas....

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

NorthWave Celcius GTX boots, Sidas Drywarmers and a bottle of Talisker. It doesn't get any more WIN.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

when you get older, you have to buy your own christmas presents because otherwise you'll never get them  3 That's what I've found at least.

stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes

Never really asked for anything as i had just bought myself a new ribble utralite racing bike (which i am very happy with)
Wife got me 4 sessions at the new glasgow velodrome (a complete surprise and very thoughtfull)
She also got me a 2 day holiday to berlin on the lash with my brother (she seems to want me out the house alot  39 )

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wanted: nothing, really!

Got: Bottle of Single Malt Whisky, Tyler Hamilton's Secret Race, Country and Western CD, Neil Young Bio and a New Fridge/Freezer

A full on 'win' as far as I was concerned!

Just happy watching junior open presents.

**Bought myself a new Bass amp head!

AWP | 11 years ago
0 likes

Asked for, and received, a couple of Brynje base layers one black one white. Looking forward to the sub 5 degs tomorrow  4

Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

My birthday was in November and none of my bike pressies arrived that I thought I would get...so Christmas was great this year; I wanted and got: new wheels/ tyres, casette, chainring, chain, bike tools and a bottle of old No 7...yahoo...

Yorkshie Whippet | 11 years ago
0 likes

Didn't ask for anything this year, but bought myself

Planet X carbon wheels
Dura Ace 7900 shifters, mechs and Fightdeck computer
Ritchey WCS bars and 260 stem
Sidi shoes, Cateye helmet and 2 new tops
Assortment odd and ends.

Best Christmass for quite a while with parcels arriving since November.:-D

livestrongnick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well i asked for Cash so that i can up-grade my components?  39

I got the cash (£120)plus bottle of Jack Daniels Honey and Sir Bradley Wiggin's Book 'My Time'

So pretty chuffed  4

Although being a chef i was looking forward to 3 days off and ended up cooking crimbo lunch cause my sister in-law got that Winter vomin bug...  14

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

Proper winter boots ... bought them myself as they cost
too much  1
New over shoes - the enduras finally died - got them  1
Thermal l/s base layer - got that too ....

All the other chocolate, sweets, cake, tolkien book and
the whole crimbo period with my wife and kids was a brucey
bonus  4

charliemac74 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I asked for nothing and got exactly what I requested.

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

I got a lot of chocolate… and I always want that… and a lot of prosecco, but that was more cos it was my birthday just before Christmas - I got Made in England too (for my birthday) which I'm really enjoying.

That lot pretty much took care of my want list apart from one of those Velo Re Tubelts made from recycled inner tubes (as featured in the road.cc shop). After some very unsubtle hinting I got one - love it, though it's too big (dunno how big my family think i am but it goes half way round me again) so will have to swap for a smaller one.

Apart from that wanted a spare part for my Topeak workstand and got it thanks to the nice guys at Extra.

And after a very mucky Boxing Day ride I thought of something else I want - a Bike Parka so gonna treat myself - well, the bike - to one in the new year… and maybe a new front mech too.

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Since it's just me and the missus, we spend months dropping not-so-subtle hints and generally they get picked up  3

Got the kilometre marker ornament as highlighted in our Christmas Gifts for Discerning Cyclists Guide (the Mont Ventoux one) plus the espresso cup and saucer they do (Col du Tourmalet).

Those were the two cycling-specific things - although once I've mastered using my macaron-making kit I also got, I'm planning to do a Tour de France-themed set of macarons next summer - yellow, green, white and polka dot  105

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry Dave, did you say 'heated insoles'  13 You will be wanting an engine next  19

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wanted Sex, Lies and Handlebar Tape (about Jacques Anquetil) Got it  16 and My Time  16 And a bottle of Balvenie Single Malt  16 And a solar powered thingy that tells you the pressure in your car tyres in PSi and other units along with air temperature and tread depth.... great  37 Obviously Father Christmas thought I was a good boy this year.... and I am neglecting my car...  16

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

wanted: castelli quindici wool socks
got: ten pairs of tesco formal socks i'll never wear

on the plus side, asked for heated insoles and got them, and they're grand  4

PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wanted: Velo by Paul Fournel, Got: Velo by Paul Fournel (well my sister did ask me what i wanted - i'll sacrifice the surprise element for a present i want!)
Wanted:my winter hack serviced, Got: money to get my winter hack serviced (so, no surprises there either!, but hey - i'm happy.
Does it count if you bought yourself something nice for Christmas? In that case (he said, not waiting for an answer), you can count a beautiful Red Wabi Woolens Sports Series merino wool short sleeved jersey - the best cycling jerseys in the world, no ifs ands or buts.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wanted: Mavic Ksyrium SR - Got: Green and Pink Hockey Socks

My big Christmas presents haven't arrived yet (new Team kit and Frame)

My Grandmother gave me 'My Time,' which I'd expressed an interest in.

My sister also gave me the new Batman Trilogy on DVD, which I had asked her for specifically.

Latest Comments