Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paul Vincent

Just thinking of one of Cycling Plus' greats, their tech editor Paul Vincent and what became of him. Back in the 90's and 00's he was the magazine's lynchpin - you could always rely on his verdict and thanks to him i bought myself my first superbike - Principia's Rex Linda McCartney.
Back then i was a subscriber but then the magazine gradually lost their way and went all sportive mad, so i stopped renewing my subs. I've only given the magazine a glance in the local Sainsburys whenever it isn't sealed (due to having a supplement attached), i.e. once in a blue moon! and sadly i noticed that Paul no longer seems to be a part of the magazine - the magazine is still no better, so it could do with him back.
Having just done an online search i've found out that he had a very bad accident on his bike while commuting to work and there's no follow up to that report. So, does anyone know anything about Paul and what happened to him. I'm hoping he made a full recovery and instilling is knowledge on cycling via another magazine.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have to thank you for keeping me right for years, not being a member of a cycling club i was relying on journalists like yourself for advice on all things cycling. Cycling + was such a source of information - from kit, to nutrition, to training with Joe Beer and Yoga with Karen Burt (i wonder where she is now!!!).
It would be great if you could contribute to Road.cc.

dave atkinson replied to PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes
PRINCIPIA PHIL wrote:

Yoga with Karen Burt (i wonder where she is now!!!).

she's in our 'yoga for cyclists' series for a start  1

TheHatter replied to PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes
PRINCIPIA PHIL wrote:

I have to thank you for keeping me right for years, not being a member of a cycling club i was relying on journalists like yourself for advice on all things cycling.

+1

PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes

Glad to hear Paul's still out there, i was worried that i'd put my foot in it. I knew there were a few of his colleagues on board the good ship Road.cc so they'd be able to answer the post.
@SPAM Naval, i agree about your comment on Cycling Weekly (and i've subscribed to it for the past couple of years!), i've been yo yoing about cancelling my direct debit with them for ages as i'd rather the magazine concentrated on men's and women's road racing (and they've ignored the women's scene to concentrate on Clydesdales on bikes) as well as the usual fitness and tech. But Dr. Hutch is hard to give up!!!

Hedgesteeper replied to PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for remembering me from my days at Cycling Plus. Just returned from an excellent Core bike show where I hooked up with many old friends including TonyF and DaveA. May the rise of the road bike continue.

SPAM Naval | 11 years ago
0 likes

Actually I think Cyycling Plus has much improved over the last couple of years..gone from a very bland mag to something that's a good read most months. Actually it's Cycling Weekly that need to get off the Sportive bandwagon. They are definitely overdoing that one....the answer to cycling writers block it seems  4

Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes

Timely reminder PrincipiaPhil… I got a voicemail from him a few weeks back and have been meaning to ring him back ever since. That's my New Year's resolution sorted.

Simon E replied to Tony Farrelly | 11 years ago
0 likes
tony_farrelly wrote:

Timely reminder PrincipiaPhil… I got a voicemail from him a few weeks back and have been meaning to ring him back ever since. That's my New Year's resolution sorted.

Tsk tsk, that's not a resolution Tony, that's a reminder. Come on, you can do better than that!

SPAM Naval wrote:

Actually it's Cycling Weekly that need to get off the Sportive bandwagon. They are definitely overdoing that one....the answer to cycling writers block it seems  4

Plenty of once devoted readers of the comic despair at the direction it has taken. I guess the team is trying to make a living, and to be fair there's surely not much to be gained from printing race reports 5 days after you've seen the results (and lots more besides) online. But it does seem rather pathetic, with repetitive 'filler' trotted out all too often. I mean, what is there to be said about sportives each week that hasn't been said a thousand times already?

C+ always appears to be for gearheads so has little interest for me and I don't find I am any wiser as to a product's merits after reading a review (unlike the team at road.cc).

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

paul left cycling plus, knocked about for a bit making his own frames (that was the prototype bike TheHatter remembers) and then went off to work for Pashley. from there he went on to Ison Distribution in Cambridge (Halo, Identiti, Gusset, Salsa, Surly etc) and he was working there until very recently although i think he's now left. i saw him there earlier in the year when we were over visiting, he's fully recovered from the accident i think. not sure if he's hooked up anywhere else yet.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sad to hear Paul's had an accident - I always enjoyed his columns and a particular article on how to build a bike cheaply sticks in the memory.

I seem to recall he had a prototype of a new bike featured somewhere (maybe on here) a few years back but didn't hear any more.

I guess Tony will know some more?

Latest Comments