Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New to road bikes and cycling help needed please

Hi ive recently lost 6.5 stone 92 lbs And now i fancy doing some road cycling.

Im 6,3 and 102kgs i would like to start off with a bike £1000 and under and be comfortable and be able to do 10-15k a day on it.

All the advice you can give me would be grateful.

Regards
mark ward.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Peter_Mould | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was speaking to a man at the BMW garage in Chelmsford and he was looking for a few good second-hand road and mountain bicycle for himself. He decided to use the bicycle on certain days to go to work in order to get fit. I helped him find some contacts to buy second-hand bikes and I think he is making the right decision to do so for health reasons. I think more and more people should do this, as obesity is becoming an issue nowadays.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Congrats.
It's also really nice to see a thread updated, as often on forums people get feedback then never post again. So thanks mate.

Really nice bike. My wife now has a TdF with a few mods to make it girly. She loves it.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good choice - its amazing value and leaves you plenty to get the essentials which at the moment means mudguards and a decent waterproof!

If you get bitten by the bug and later buy something more exotic then this will make a great winter bike.

big fud | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well i tried a few bike's today and found this was right up my street for a starter bike i road it home 3 miles and it felt great  1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_...

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

For a first road bike you might want to consider getting a second-hand bike. Plenty second-hand bikes on the market which have hardly been used. That way you can see if road cycling is for you and get to know more about bikes, then spend a bit more on a bike when you know what you want.

And as said: good gear is just as important as the bike!

big fud | 11 years ago
0 likes

Many thank's ive looked at 100s tbh lol Bigger guy not a problem ill have a look around the site and keep looking see how i get on.

If i see a few ill post them up and i would appreciate the advice and go off that when i comer to purchase.

Many thanks

mark

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

For comfort then at your budget a Specialized Secteur is worth a test ride.

For 2013 they even do a disc brake version if that appeals as a (hope you don't mind me saying) bigger guy.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Click on the tech tab on this site and there's plenty of reviews and grouptests. To be honest for 15km rides £1k bike is overkill.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Also buy a garmin, bestest training aid for the money.

And a good pair of shorts,

And shoes.

AND, my new revelation; Pedals are the most underrated contact point, a bendy axle and your power is sapped constantly.

Enjoy.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

One word. Canyon. Check out their website. You will not find better value or quality anywhere.

Latest Comments