Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin problems

Since having bought a Garmin Edge 500 last March I have since had to replace my speed/cadence sensor in August as it was not reading cadence or speed.

My speed/cadence sensor has just broken again! I am getting cadence but no speed. This means that it could cost me an extra £50 (minimum) a year to keep speed and cadence data!

Anyone else experience similar problems?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Bagpuss | 11 years ago
0 likes

Like Charlie not wanting to state the obvious but have you checked the battery. Mine did the same swapped the battery and back as it should be.

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have not had the problem personally but have heard this several times. Checking adjustments, as stated above, can sort this as can using a more powerful rare earth magnet for the cadence sensor, v cheap on ebay, but it should be a warranty claim really rather than shelling out yourself. Also agree with Bagpuss below.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

The guarentee is terrible, after 2 months of trying previously to return it I ended up buying a new one, now it's gone again I may just use the ... GPS. Sigh

pirnie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed with Ic1981. I've not had this problem specifically but I have had warranty issues with Garmin sports equipment before. They were more than helpful sending me a brand new watch as a replacement for mine on which the strap broke. They were pretty quick about it too

lc1981 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Need it cost you money? Isn't this covered by the guarantee?

charlie bravo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not wishing to state the obvious but have you tried fiddling with the positioning of said sensors. It's happened a few times to me and a little bit of movement can make all the difference - especially after washing the bike down with a brush/sponge or similar

we8ster | 11 years ago
0 likes

I started using mine, but after a rather wet ride, it started playing up, and neather speed or cadence were reading!

I have taken it off and just using the head unit on its own!

Disappointing, but still a great piece of kit on its own!

Latest Comments