Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cyclist : The Thrill of The Ride

I don't normally buy magazines, but occasionally purchase a Cycling Weekly.

Yesterday, I took the plunge and shelled out a fiver (ouch) for the above magazine, because it looked different.

Beautifully put together, in depth articles, loveley pictures - all in all, very good.

However, from my point of view, it is what I would call "top-end", or "out of my league".

This month's review bikes start at just over 3 grand, and top out at 11, Chris Boardman is punting his new Air models, starting at just over 5 grand, there are articles on Santini and and interview with Bob Parlee.

All very nice, but put simply, I can't afford any of it.

The othr half skimmed through the mag and said it was like buying Top Gear magazine and reading about Ferraris.

Nice to look at and dream.

Anybody else seen it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, Road Bike Action is pretty good, except for all the US specific stuff like the racing.

Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes

Personally I love the fact that so far, Cyclist has been written for the more, shall we say, discerning cyclist.

There's plenty of magazines that feature cheaper bikes, funnily enough they're cheaper magazines. This is good.

Think about it this way, when you read a Top Gear magazine and they review Ferraris, you had the option to buy a What Car magazine or Auto Express that reviews £15000 hatchbacks.

Another really good magazine you should pick up if you see it is Road Bike Action from the USA. It's a bit expensive for it's size probably thanks to being an import but their reviews always seem concise and fair.

It's difficult to say that Rouleur is a better magazine as such because they're completely different.

All I want now is the same sort of magazine for mountain bikes as Cyclist is for road bikes due to that all of the current one just seem like comic books.

Super Domestique replied to Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes
Municipal Waste wrote:

All I want now is the same sort of magazine for mountain bikes as Cyclist is for road bikes due to that all of the current one just seem like comic books.

For me it was the other way round. I love Singletrack for my mtb stuff but needed to find a road equivalent. Cyclist seems to be just that.

stealth | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its not as good as Rouleur (I think), but the bike tests & Boardman? If you know cycling, you can take something from these reviews & interviews and us it for your next big buy or even on your current ride. The Chris Boardman interview is particularly enlightening if you really read it...

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, I really enjoy the mag. Just got hold of first 2 issues as I bought issues 3 and 4.
So far it really seems like the sort of mag I was looking for. Not beginner focused like so much of cycling active.
Less sportive focused than cycling plus. The cheaper end of the market is catered for in these to me. Although something around the £1.5k and up bracket would be ok I guess. Almost everything below that and its just a battle ground of 'cycle to work scheme.'
I had a sub to procycling which I had cancelled as it just didn't hit the spot.
Cyclist is like the car mag EVO for bikes (same publisher) which is good imho.
I have taken out a sub and love it.
As has been stated the pictures are amazing. The in-depth behind the scenes
articles are right on target.
I like the fact they use experts from big name stores and companies to back up what is said.
Of course there will be repeated subject matter, but it's a natural thing for any mag touching on one sport or genre of something.

KiwiMike | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have all 4 issues to date and have subscribed hard and soft copy. It is beautifully put together and the 'Big ride' section is inspirational. The tech sections are likewise very well pitched, and the personal/company profiles are akin to Roleur in a good way. But I agree, only reviewing bikes with an RRP more than a decent family car is a bit snobbish/elitist. That bit of the mag is totally wasted on most folks. While I could buy a £5k bike if I really wanted, it would be at the expense of a bunch of family holidays and kids bikes, and I'd rather enjoy riding with family than being selfish. Plus it would set a spousal precedent for high-end kitchen kit that I'm not keen to entertain.

Would it really kill Cyclist mag to regularly review at £1-2k, 2-3 and 3+ price ranges?

stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes

A great mag, beautifull pictures and well written articles.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

A man can dream  4

Latest Comments