Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Be careful out there

I went out for an hour-ish at lunch time just to stretch my legs and keep the pedals turning. I normally have a couple of close passes and maybe one near miss each week or so, but in one hour I lost count of the litany of hair-raising moments. You name it, cars pulling out of side roads, a learner who (presumably with the blessing of their instructor!) passed me with inches to spare alongside a parked car, a woman in a tank who blatantly (not even amber-gambling) ran the red light to avoid me setting off in front of her, only to turn right into the shopping centre 20 meters later...blah blah blah

Anyway, I concluded that they're perhaps still running round like headless chickens doing Xmas shopping etc. Goodwill to all etc!

Have a great holiday everyone.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Peter_Mould | 10 years ago
0 likes

As a cyclist, you need to always be extra careful, both on the sidewalk and on the streets. This is because you neither belong there nor do you belong here. Pedestrians despise you, and so do drivers. Some cars will try their very best to avoid you but some of them might pretend they do not see you and that is when the danger sets in. Majority of drivers know that they are larger than you so YOU should avoid them, and not the other way around. Drivers of faster cars like BMW, Audi and such also have such mentality that you are slower, so YOU should avoid them. Just be extra careful and try to avoid everyone and everything if possible.

Forester | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm sticking with the turbo trainer till Christmas Day- roads already terrible with pot-holes, and bad-tempered pre-Christmas drivers make it just too dangerous. Why, when most drivers give you room, does some idiot suddenly decide to give you 1mm clearance when you are approaching a sunken drain cover? Only fell off once this year and that was off road, and done nearly 5000Km so looking forward to next year's Sportives.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Great news Keith! Congrats.

Comrade | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gkam, I wish you hours of delight on the trike. Congratulation!

Comrade

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had a nice white van man deliver my trike today....Just to make up for all the bad ones out there  3  3

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had a UPS van splash a puddle onto me today so...

meh

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Same, especially be careful of Tescos and Sainsburys vans. Driving around like they're on commission...

Some Fella replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Same, especially be careful of Tescos and Sainsburys vans. Driving around like they're on commission...

Likewise Fed Ex and all the other lazy thieving bastard couriers - but never UPS.
Never, ever had a run in with UPS and they are also the most reliable couriers.

Latest Comments