Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Frame Suggestions

Hi everyone. Was just after some advice, I have a 2010 Trek 1.5 road bike, but unfortunately I have damaged the frame and the forks in a crash such that they are now unuseable. As the other components are still fine, I'm looking into getting a new frame and forks which I can transfer the components over to. Does anyone have any suggestions for frames which are suitable? I really need something quite cheap (student budget) but which isn't too difficult to deal with, as I'm no mechanic! A friend suggested kinesis frames, does anyone have any experience with them at entry level?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

The only things that you need to look out for are the bottom bracket size and steerer dimensions. The chances are that a different frame may require a different sized bottom bracket but is is not a problem as they are cheap and easily fitted. Your steerer is likely to be a standard size 1-1/8'' but you should check and you may find that you need more or fewer spacers on the new one. That's all that I can think of. These are standard bits of kit made to fit frames of all manufacturers.

chewie000 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry by third-party I meant anything that isn't a Trek, so including Kinesis and Kaffenbeck. It was just what someone I spoke to about it today suggested would be an issue - I wasn't really sure because, as I said above I don't have much experience with this kind of thing.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

What do you mean a 3rd party frame?

I'm pretty sure that the componentry will be transferable.

Why would they transfer onto a Kinesis frame like you wanted, but not a Kaffenback?

chewie000 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Will look into the second had bike suggestion. Having spoken to someone else I know, they advised against going for a third party frame as it might not be compatible with my current components - can anyone advise further?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Otherwise PX Kaffenback.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Go second hand. You may find that you can pick up a full bike for a price that fits your budget. Don't be afraid of building the bike up yourself, it's easier than you might think as long as you have the tools to play with. You are guaranteed to take more care with it than the majority of bike shop mechanics too as it's your own steed. Have a look at eBay and elsewhere, you may not come across something immediately but the right thing will turn up eventually.

Latest Comments