Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New frame ordered - Guess what it is

I just ordered a new frame, if you can guess what it is, I'll give you a Christmas present. Here's a clue: Its a British based company. Intriguing  22

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

54 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yay! Finally got it!

I'll try and find a little prezzie, although it will be small as you had two guesses.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Never heard of them! (Phian or VO2 that is, but which is it?)

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, which one is it?
I was beginning to wonder if you knew something we didn't and that Cervelo had secretly moved to Barnsley.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Vo2!

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Congrats.

Gutted btw, not that I didn't guess it but that no one laughed at my spesh joke  3

0 likes

That's nothing, there was a lion and a witch in my wardrobe this morning. I asked what they were doing there, and they told me "Narnia business!"

The cheek!

(None of your business... etc)

I'll get my coat.

0 likes

Try searching for reviews of those bikes without drowning in stuff about ramp tests and oxygen uptake...

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can't get the photos to upload, so here's a link.

Should be with me in 4 weeks or so.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aldephotographer/8288523910/in/photostream

0 likes

Looks good.
Is that the colour you are getting?

I love orange and black.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, Vo2 Development Team colours!

But that's another story...  4

0 likes

Fess up then! Have you got signed to a dev team or something?

Looks stunning. Add matching 50mm rims and that'll look smashing.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, in 2013 I'll be riding for the Vo2 Development Team.

So Excited, this is probably THE best thing that has happened in my cycling journey so far.

I've also got team kit in the post, including a rather fetching black and orange skinsuit.

I'm kitting out the frame with Sram Force, 3T finishing kit, and a PX saddle and AL30's.

Although I'm sure a set of race wheels will be down the line.

4  4

0 likes

Congratulations!

Tell us more.

How did you get picked up by VO2 and what will you be doing with them next year?

0 likes

Crikey, that's exciting! Dave/Tony/Simon, there's a story here!

So come on then, what's your team role, and you you have any individual season goals?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well...

I'd seen them racing at Hillingdon earlier this year, looking spick and span in matching team kit etc. So, I contacted them to ask whether there would be a new rider intake for 2013 in October, and on provision of my 2012 season's racing results, I was invited to Newport Velodrome to undergo a selection process.

The invitees were watched on the track, mainly on technical ability, but also on stamina and speed, before an interview. They'd asked us to bring another copy of our Cycling 'CV's,' so I made a real effort to make mine look nice, with photos, a personal statement outlining my goals and why I thought I'd suit the Vo2 development team. Nattily, I'd thought to print out two copies and put them in plastic folders, and gave one each to the two interviewers. If that didn't get me in I don't know what would. (!)

Later that week, I got the fantastic news that I'd been accepted, and would be riding with the team in 2013.

We had a road session down in Kent, where I was surprisingly strong, especially when we were asked to test ourselves on a hill. We had one more session in Newport, just to build up technical skills like riding shoulder to shoulder and in very tight formation, before breaking up again for the holidays.

We've got a few more sessions scheduled, including one more at the track, before the Team Launch at the Vo2 Sportive, which looks like its going to be a fantastic event, again in Kent.

We have little seminars after the road sessions, and in that first one, we talked about how to train effectively, how to taper for a big event, and goal setting. The team's main race is the Junior Tour of Wales (JToW), in which they take a selection of u18's over to the four day stage race and look after them as a pro team would. Massages, team bus, feed stops and kit preparation are all de rigeur.

That has become a real goal for me, although I'm going to have to put a lot of work in, building on all the miles I have put in since my season started on October 1st.

The team roles are assigned leading up to races, but it seems like for the first part at least, mine will be to 'screw up' the first part of the races, to set up the more experienced u23's. Presumably, after I have screwed up enough races, I will have a chance to have a go myself, with other people screwing them up for me.

I don't want a news story to be made about it just yet, but I'd gladly to a little series of Blog Posts throughout the year just to talk about what training I'm doing and how races go.

**Excited**

0 likes

Congrat's and I hope you have every success at the new team mate.  16

0 likes

Not surprised you're excited, that sounds awesome!

LOL at getting good at screwing up...

In all seriousness, I think you're right not to underestimate the value of presenting your CV properly and making an effort with the little things. I'm sure they see a lot of fast riders who don't think/bother to look and act professionally.

Congratulations!

0 likes

VO2

0 likes

Phian

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nein

russyparkin | 11 years ago
0 likes

Holdsworth?

David Arthur @d... | 11 years ago
0 likes

SwiftCarbon?

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Definitely road, keep it going. I'll give you a little longer.

I don't want to give you any more clues, you've run through a comprehensive list of british based carbon road frame producers.

Erm.

In a review I read, it was compared to a Cervelo R3.

0 likes

Orange?

On the note, is it road? If mtb that opens things up.

On one 456 carbon

AWP | 11 years ago
0 likes

SAB?

Now British I believe.

0 likes

Ok Spesh - what can be more UK than that? Most homes have 1! Lol

Dolan

0 likes

What the British cycling team used but the name escapes me!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

(And Super Domestique - NOPE NOPE)

Super Domestique replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

(And Super Domestique - NOPE NOPE)

I just am a big kid who loves games like this

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, the picture thingy aint workin

Pages