Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Welsh SPOTY 2012

Still time to vote for Geraint Thomas as Welsh BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2012. Voting closes 18.00 hrs tonight.
Details here http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/wales/20546409

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

jollygoodvelo | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd like Gareth Bale to win.

For proving that Tom Daley's not the only top-class diver  3

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

The logic of my argument is clear. You are saying you don't understand when you don't agree, if you don't agree that's fine.

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

You are extrapolating the scale of my point to make it seem illogical, which is a straw man argument. The fact is this prize is from the BBC so it is a copy and reduction of the full SPOTY prize. If it was called the 'Welsh Sporting Excellence' award that would be find. There is a Sunday Mail Scottish Sports Award 2012 but no Sottish or Northern Irish or English or Cornish SPOTY, so why is there a Welsh one? If you think I am having a go particularly at the Welsh you are missing my point.

Simon E replied to Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

You are extrapolating the scale of my point to make it seem illogical, which is a straw man argument.

I haven't yet seen any logic in your argument.

Quote:

The fact is this prize is from the BBC so it is a copy and reduction of the full SPOTY prize. If it was called the 'Welsh Sporting Excellence' award that would be find.

So it is the title of the award that bothers you. I give up.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its ok, I have a sports personality of the year in my house, every single year, for some reason. I always win the award. 28 years running, but be a Guinness world record  19  19

Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is there any point to this award, perhaps next we should have a Yorkshire SPOTY? Or the Isle of Man SPOTY as it is an autonomous area: Cav wins again!

0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

Is there any point to this award, perhaps next we should have a Yorkshire SPOTY? Or the Isle of Man SPOTY as it is an autonomous area: Cav wins again!

Are you having difficulty recognising Wales as a politgical and cultural entity in its own right? Read and learn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wales

Leviathan replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am well aware of Wales cultural heritage and identity, but the British SPOTY already exists. Creating this prize just dilutes its value. Will Brad get an English SPOTY or a Northern SPOTY when he inevitably wins tomorrow?

It is this type of division of previously British institutions that encourages separatism. You should read Tam Dalyell's book 'Devolution: The End of Britain?'

Next you will want to give the Manic Street Preachers a Welsh 'Brits' award.

0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

I am well aware of Wales cultural heritage and identity, but the British SPOTY already exists. Creating this prize just dilutes its value. Will Brad get an English SPOTY or a Northern SPOTY when he inevitably wins tomorrow?

How on earth does having a Wales SPOTY lessen the value of the British one? Do the guests in the London studio feel their achievements and the recognition are the poorer because there is a similar regional event for which 95% are ineligible? Surely it is merely showcasing a smaller group of athletes.

Should a writer have not suggested a 7 wonders of Wales" for fear of diluting the 7 wonders of the world?

If the Wales Tourist Board decided to promote Wales Heritage Sites does that somehow undermine the UNESCO list or make Buckingham Palace and Tower Bridge less interesting for tourists?

Do the Commonwealth Games devalue the Olympics? Does the yellow jersey of the Dauphiné make the yellow jersey of the Tour de France less prestigious?

Perhaps the solution is to scrap the BBC's SPOTY. Let's have a single European or worldwide award, a sporting version of 'Eurovision'. By your logic the BBC's award really just dilutes the whole point of the Olympics.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

NO NO NO

Mark Colbourne is the winner  3

Latest Comments