Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best long johns / base layer leggings

Hi

I'm after some advice on what leggings to get. I've got the top half of me sorted - Odlo evolution light or warm, jerseys and a Gore windstopper jacket, now I just need to get base layer leggings. These are to go over my padded shorts and under a pair of DHB winter tights.

I was looking at the Odlo evolution warm ones, but wiggle have sold out of my size and I don't know anywhere else that does them.

I've also seen Finnisterre Zephyr merino long johns, but I was just wondering if anybody can recommend anything? I commute on my bike and the temp can be around zero to minus 5 and I need something warm. They should also be tight (or have stirrups) so they don't ride up when I pull on my outer tights.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

djgorey | 11 years ago
0 likes

I borrowed a pair of my wife's tights yesterday and they made a difference. My mum(!) has now sent over three pairs of really thick (for tights) women's tights so we'll see we how go with those

colhum1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Altura winter tights for me...fleece lined...relatively waterproof too
Use them on my early morning commute -4 this week....£33 Wiggle

Adey | 11 years ago
0 likes

the tights do work!!
i work on building sites through the winter and when its really cold i'll wear a pair of the mrs's tights under my trousers  9

djgorey | 11 years ago
0 likes

The tights I have are the unpadded dhb Pace Roubaix ones - I bought them because I wanted something to go over my padded shorts so I didn't need to buy long winter bibs in addition to the summer ones. They're comfortable tights, but they don't cope brilliantly with freezing and below.

I might steal a pair of my wife's tights and see how that helps - it might just be the little bit I need.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've read that ladies' tights can work well under cycling gear as they are very thin but will trap warm air next to the skin.

A couple of winters ago I tried some M&S longjohns under my leggings but found I got too hot after a while. How about roubaix (fleece-lined) legwarmers?

djgorey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips - it sounds like merino tights are the way to go. I'll have a look at Aldi and see if they have any left!

CycCoSi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Merino wool long johns, in Aldi's ski offer last week about £16, if you're quick they may still have some, needs to be very cold though to wear under tights at least minus 5

Jaltham | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have a set of Funkier bib tights, which are the bomb! Stirrups to keep your feet in the right place, microfleece to keep you warm, and they seem to hold up quite well i Devon's wind/Rain (Of which there is lots!)

One size larger tights and leg warmers underneath? OR a pair of ripped Tights with leg wrmers underneath (My current setup)

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've never heard of anyone wearing anything under tights, wouldn't have thought there was any room. You can get tights with windproof panels or made from softshell material. Wouldn't these be warm enough on their own?

Latest Comments