Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

BBC 'War on Britains Roads'....

Sensationalist crap that just wanted to show the juicy footage ( over and over and over again).

Ok, respect to the Lady who lost her daughter and became a share holder to effect change in the company that ran her daughter over.

Apart from that, opportunity missed and not helpful to the discussion.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

Perfection! Sums up the whole debacle.

"Its not about cyclists versus cars, it's about normal people versus idiots"

tarquin_foxglove | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was amazed that Cemex lorries killed 1 person a year & they didn't consider doing anything until Cynthia Barlow bought shares and called them to account.

mattbibbings | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dr Hutch was very good on Radio 4 this morning.

"Its not about cyclists versus cars, it's about normal people versus idiots" ( or words to that effect)

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I liked the bit where the cyclist stopped another cyclist from going through a red light!

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I enjoyed it. It showed that some cyclists are absolute prats and the same for drivers.

All in all it could have been better, it could have shown cyclists as angels and all drivers as the devil which would have pleased some contributors to these pages but it wouldn't be the truth.

The truth is though we, as cyclists, are to blame for some of the negative stigma thats about at the mo but not as much as drivers.

pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, utter c**p. The only good thing I can say is that the grizzled old cabbie (or anyone else for that matter) didn't say that cyclists should wear helmets. The Cemex driver seemed to have a pretty poor attitude bearing in mind the company's history. He seemed to blame all HGV collisions on cyclists.

daddyELVIS replied to pjay | 11 years ago
0 likes
pjay wrote:

Agreed, utter c**p. The only good thing I can say is that the grizzled old cabbie (or anyone else for that matter) didn't say that cyclists should wear helmets. The Cemex driver seemed to have a pretty poor attitude bearing in mind the company's history. He seemed to blame all HGV collisions on cyclists.

Watched it on i-player last night - its wasn't too bad, and at times was quite balanced. I thought the Cemex driver wasn't blaming anyone, but actually just pointing out the reality of situations, i.e. when a lorry turns left there is a huge blind-spot. I cringe with fear when I see (almost everyday) cyclists riding in the gutter up the inside of slow moving taffic, especially at junctions. From what I see most days, there are many cyclists that need educating as well as drivers.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

There was a clip from Scotland.......

I thought on the whole the program wasn't that bad

Mountain goat | 11 years ago
0 likes

Let's give this programme some balance. Road.cc should run several articles on child abuse at the BBC and the hundreds of paedophiles and rapists who worked there.

joemmo replied to Mountain goat | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hundreds? Really? Let's not sink to the level of the mail.
Didn't watch the programme, should I? Did it feature anywhere that wasn't London?

paulfrank | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agree with all above comments but it was not as bad as I thought it might be. Could have been worse, it did try to be balanced but they were only ever going to pick the worst footage.

vexedveloist | 11 years ago
0 likes

Completely unrepresentative of UK cycling. No utility cyclists, no female cyclists, no child cyclists. No clear indication illegal race was professionally filmed and staged. Sensationalist crap indeed.

musicalmarc | 11 years ago
0 likes

wouldn't have been very watchable if they just showed journey's where nothing happened. Would like to see a program on how cycling has helped people i.e people who want to lose weight/ get fit, as an aid to recovery from diseases, save money travelling, discover new places etc.

Rvizzle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, nothing new, nothing constructive, just cheap TV (mostly contributed from road users themselves).

Feels rather more C4 than BBC

Latest Comments