Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Exmoor Beauty 2013

Entries have just opened for next year's Exmoor Beauty (the antidote to 'The Beast').
Last April's inaugural edition of 'The Beauty' proved really popular, with approaching 800 signing up for the ride through the Exmoor National Park. However, truth be told, the event didn't quite match our original concept. We'd intended it to be a nice day out on the bike - a very doable, early season, leg stretching challenge. In reality, the route chosen was a bit too lumpy and a tad too long for the time of year. So, in order to address those issues, next April's event will start in Tiverton and the distance will be down to 100 km. max. The new start will mean that the opening and closing sections - along the roads od the Exe Valley - will be relatively flat. The exact route, north of the Oakfordbridge / Bampton area is currently under discussion, so any suggestions from those with a good knowledge of Exmoor will definately be considered. The location of the new H.Q. venue will knock about an hour off the previous journey, to get to the event's start and, with the start time window extended to 9:30 a.m., things should be much easier for those travelling from further afield. Therefore, overnight stays should not be necessary for the majority of participants. The early birds are already signing up and entries will be capped at 1500. To book a place, for Sunday 21st April, visit www.exmoorbeauty.org

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Ron Keegan | 11 years ago
0 likes

At a shade over 60 miles, the route of 'The Beuty' is now finalised and a new map and profile are now up on the event's website; www.exmoorbeauty.org Entries are now pushing 700

0 likes

Well, with it being stated, in Cycling Weekly, that I'm Torquay's answer to John Bishop and Cycling Plus clainming I bring to mind a Scouse Johhny Cash, I have a big enough identity crisis without football legends further confusing the issue.

Skardy | 11 years ago
0 likes

Is that Ron Atkinson or Kevin Keegan?

Fringe | 11 years ago
0 likes

Only £29 ... Is it me or are sportives just getting a wee bit overpriced?.

Ron Keegan replied to Fringe | 11 years ago
0 likes

In answere to your posting Fringe.

1. Yes it's you.
2. No they're not.

Most popular and well organised sportives, on open roads, are about the price of 'The Beauty', give or take a few quid. To effectively stage a successful event, which meets the needs of the riders and appropriately supports them, organisers must raise sufficient revenue to pay for everything that is required. The total cost of the exercise runs to thousands of rounds and, if the event is being run commercially a fair and reasonable profit may be expected, but is not always realised.

Fringe replied to Ron Keegan | 11 years ago
0 likes
Ron Keegan wrote:

In answere to your posting Fringe.

1. Yes it's you.
2. No they're not.

Most popular and well organised sportives, on open roads, are about the price of 'The Beauty', give or take a few quid. To effectively stage a successful event, which meets the needs of the riders and appropriately supports them, organisers must raise sufficient revenue to pay for everything that is required. The total cost of the exercise runs to thousands of rounds and, if the event is being run commercially a fair and reasonable profit may be expected, but is not always realised.

1.Yep your probably right
2. Depends what you call exspensive I spose.

How much is fair and reasonable profit from £29? Not being funny or anything just curious?

Ron Keegan replied to Fringe | 11 years ago
0 likes

15% - 20%

Ron Keegan replied to Ron Keegan | 11 years ago
0 likes

With temperatures being so bitterly cold at present, it's a wonder that any of us are even thinking about entering an early season sportive. However, over the past few days, there's been a surge of interest and bookings for the Exmoor Beauty. Approachibg 600 riders are now signed up for the event (on April 21st) and, with over 6 weeks still to go before the on-line entry system close, a much bigger field - than last year's 700+ - is now expected. Many of those who've already secured a place are from The Midlands and The Home Counties, so it looks like mooving the event H.Q. to Tiverton is proving popular.

vorsprung | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do those roads sometimes in the summer.

I assume the intention is to go up the A396 to Black Cat, Climb on the B3227 road to South Molton, then North Molton, and up past that pub and across the moor to Withypool, then climb up and up and up to the road to Simonsbath, but go to Wheddon X. At Wheddon X, climb up again, cut across to Upton and Moorbath. Then through Bampton and back through the Lowman Valley

It's quite a hilly route but it's easy for Exmoor. If you hate dirty lanes or lots of climbing don't do it! I never go up there if the weather is predicted to be poor, it can be rather unpleasant

My favourite route (starting from Uffculme nr Tiverton) is up the Lowman Valley to Bampton, possibly past the radar station if it's nice weather. Then on the A396 for a little bit turn off to Dulverton at Exebridge. In Dulverton get on the road to Winsford Hill and turn off to go down to Withypool. At Withypool take the first R after the bridge which eventually gets you to North Moulton. Before the bridge in North Molton take the left. Then R at T, L sp Whitechapel, 1st Exit at RBT on A361, 1st R sp "local services", across RBT to head back to Black Cat on the B3227, then back on the A396 to Tiverton

One time I worked near South Molton and used to ride to work on the B3227 from Uffculme. In the winter. On a single speed. Not every day, that would have hurt my legs.

Ron Keegan replied to vorsprung | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry vorsprung but your assumption is incorrect. The route is to be ridden anticlockwise; so lots of descending on the homeward leg. Also, the sections of the route on lanes - as opposed to classified roads - is extremely low. So, given reasonable weather, riding conditions should be quite pleasant.

0 likes

The route map of The Exmoor Beauty is now up on the event's website www.exmoorbeauty.org The geographical spread of entrants suggests the new H.Q. location is going to prove a great hub for a big sportive. Of the well over 300 already signed up ( with 3 months still to go ) significant numbers are from the west of London, the West Midlands and South Wales. All are only a couple of hours or so drive to Tiverton via the M4/M5.

Latest Comments