Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

My local roads

So nearly a billion pounds being promised to London for roads and cycling infrastructure.....My local paper The Press and Journal yesterday ran this story. That Aberdeenshire council needs to spend £100 million just to get roads upto an "acceptable standard"  14

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd class Renfrewshire as "south of Glasgow"  3 True, the city of Edinburgh has some shocking roads too, especially considering it's the capital! But outside the city most roads aren't too bad?

Spooks | 11 years ago
0 likes

I commute from spring till early winter in Edinburgh and its truely horrific, I can't see how ANY where can have worse roads. I stay in west Lothian and if you can avoid the glass you will end in the pot holes. So far my limited rides through Ffie have been reasonable with some real nice roads until you try and cross the water .....

lob | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm in north Shropshire, and roads like A53 from Shrewsbury to Stoke are beginning to suffer. Wife had incident a few weeks ago with potholes on a country lane which resulted in two wheels being written off. That lane now to be avoided  2

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah i love Ayrshire, but its roads are best explored on a mountainbike  29

Jaltham | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have any of you guys been on the roads down here in Devon? It's like a proper mountaineering course just to get to the group meet, let alone the actual routes!

stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes

I now live in ayr, and while the roads around ayrshire have magic scenery, variety and great climbs the condition of said roads are shocking.  102

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hadn't realised before you're an Aberdonian Gkam. I'm up that way for work regularly and i can tell you: the roads in Lanarkshire are still worse! I'd say east and south of Glasgow have the most shocking (!) roads in Scotland.

giff77 replied to Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dutchie wrote:

Hadn't realised before you're an Aberdonian Gkam. I'm up that way for work regularly and i can tell you: the roads in Lanarkshire are still worse! I'd say east and south of Glasgow have the most shocking (!) roads in Scotland.

Take a wee detour through renfrewshire mate. The roads here are truly awful. But hey the snp has found some money to repair something like 18 miles of road so I wonder what post code will get that one  19

Littlesox | 11 years ago
0 likes

I think it's all over - a combination of a harsh winter 2 years ago, a very wet year in 2012 and budget cuts all over the place.

I was driving her indoors Kia Picanto on the A495 in Shropshire the other night, and hit a pothole that the little car nearly disapreared into. I thought I had hit something in the road it was that bad.

I'm glad I didn't hit it on my Giant - I think I would have ended up over the handlebars.

If it ever stops raining, I'm going to photograph it and report it to Shropshire Council when they re-open.

A lot of the roads in Shropshire appear to be in poor order.

Simon E replied to Littlesox | 11 years ago
0 likes
Littlesox wrote:

If it ever stops raining, I'm going to photograph it and report it to Shropshire Council when they re-open.

You don't need a photo, just go to www.fillthathole.org.uk and fill in the boxes stating where it is, size etc. You get an email to confirm it was reported and you can go back and update the report or add more info yourself.

I have been reporting potholes and damaged road surfaces (e.g. around inspection covers) for a while now and to be fair to Shropshire Council's team they repair most of them reasonably promptly.

If the pothole is on a trunk road (A5, A49 etc) it's the responsibility of the Highways Agency and they are crap. They would rather waste money installing traffic lights on roundabouts.

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

don't say it bro just let some air out of your tires, it's just like suspension!

veseunr | 11 years ago
0 likes

And as for the Isle of Wight .... the whole thing is falling apart!!!

Worcestershire insist on gravelling rather than a resurface or proper repair.

Might have to go back to ..... dare I say it .... MTB  13

Latest Comments