Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How Fast Can A Dog Run?

I'm tired of being chased by dogs. I've never been caught by one, but after yesterday's chase I started wondering just how fast a dog can run, and for how long they can keep going? I know how fast a cheetah runs and for how long, but I haven't been chased by one of them yet. I would feel better knowing the facts, and therefore how long I should expect to keep pedaling.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

The Mail on Sunday pays three times more than any other paper.

LEAVEITYEAH

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

yes we can. and we will. it's part of a larger behind-the-scenes revamp that's currently going on...

tarquin_foxglove replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

I like the Daily Mail's system of up & down arrows, with a couple of tweaks it could be perfect.

SevenHills replied to tarquin_foxglove | 11 years ago
0 likes
tarquin_foxglove wrote:

I like the Daily Mail's system of up & down arrows, with a couple of tweaks it could be perfect.

You do realie the amount of abuse you have let yourself in for in admitting
A) You read the Daily Mail
B) You like something about it

giff77 replied to SevenHills | 11 years ago
0 likes
SevenHills wrote:
tarquin_foxglove wrote:

You do realie the amount of abuse you have let yourself in for in admitting
A) You read the Daily Mail
B) You like something about it

That and the handle the guy's opted for. Prepare to be flamed tarq  3

Mountain goat | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dave, can you introduce voting on comments like in the Grauniad? so many good comments here that I would love to be able to say "+1".

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, lick you to death is their true spirit.
Regards,
Trikeman.  3

Karbon Kev | 11 years ago
0 likes

I doubt the two dumpy looking dogs in the pic could catch much quite honestly. Some dogs can run fast enough to catch a speeding cyclist, but not those two I doubt.

trikeman replied to Karbon Kev | 11 years ago
0 likes
Karbon Kev wrote:

I doubt the two dumpy looking dogs in the pic could catch much quite honestly. Some dogs can run fast enough to catch a speeding cyclist, but not those two I doubt.

You obviuosly don't know staffy's.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

giff77 replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes
trikeman wrote:
Karbon Kev wrote:

You obviuosly don't know staffy's.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

Yep' chase you down and lick you to death if I know staffy's  3

robert_obrien | 11 years ago
0 likes

There are 2 types of dog chase. Territorial and non-territorial. Territorial happen near the dog's home and the threat diminishes the further you get from their patch - so pedal harder. Non-territorial happen on common land e.g. parks and could be caused by non-audible noises coming from your bike as above. The best way to stop these is to stop yourself. The dog would probably not attack a normal pedestrian and once you reveal yourself to be one the chase should end. After millions of years of evolution dogs have had 100 years to get used to cyclists and to distinguish them from other fast-moving prey / predators. (BTW I am not now and have never been a dog owner - so this could all be (the dog's) bollocks.

Low Speed Wobble | 11 years ago
0 likes

@trikeman - interesting!

@gazza_d - that is indeed my current solution!

musicalmarc | 11 years ago
0 likes

is that a two headed dog or have I been enjoying Sunday too much?

trikeman replied to musicalmarc | 11 years ago
0 likes
musicalmarc wrote:

is that a two headed dog or have I been enjoying Sunday too much?

Ha! no, not a two headed dog but two young pups at the time - I will admit they are quite close, though now they are a bit older but certainly not Zoso.

An enjoyable Sunday it must have been.  1

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ah! now found the photo, that helps the explanation for my question further up.

A riding buddy, Greg, had the very same problem - always him. If we rode without him, no problems. However, the minute he was with us the inevitable 'run to the hills' would be performed by him whilst in hot persuit was the mutt,,,,, any mutt. Even dogs on leads would pull and start barking at him, it was hilarious. We honestly thought that it must be his unwashed shorts.  13

However, I had his bike on the stand one day and as I turned the back wheel my two pups (photo below as they sat there - note the ears) would start cranking their heads and the smaller one would start barking - stop the wheel and the barking would stop.

I stripped the rear wheel and the bearings were 'rusty dry'. I cleaned them up and lubed them and 'voila' no more ear pricked staring and the barking stopped.

We went for our normal ride and it was quite boring as no dogs chased Greg after that - must have been some sort of noise that they could hear (and annoyed them) and we couldn't.

Food for thought.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

cidermart | 11 years ago
0 likes

Surely she already knew the naughty words as she was French  1

lc1981 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Maybe we need to ask Philippe Gilbert.

Johnbosley replied to lc1981 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Has he got a dog?  7

pwake replied to Johnbosley | 11 years ago
0 likes
Johnbosley wrote:

Has he got a dog?  7

Maybe, but he had an 'incident' with one in this years Tour and a small French girl got to learn some naughty words, I'm sure.
It'll be on YouTube...

CycCoSi | 11 years ago
0 likes

When my collie / lurcher cross was younger, he's 12 now, he could manage 30 mph for more than a mile.

He can still do a steady 15mph for a good 10 mile.

So if we're talking about outrunning a lurcher or greyhound that's a decent sustained sprint you need  1

gazza_d | 11 years ago
0 likes

surely you just need to outrun your mate, not the dog!

mb429 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Our dog back at home can follow the quad, uphill might I add, at 40km/h... and he's a fat labrador!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

How Fast Can A Dog Run?
A dog can run up to nineteen miles per hour when running at full speed., but the members of the greyhound family are the fastest, they can run up to 42 miles per hour.

http://www.sybilsden.com/caresheet/dogs2.htm

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not too sure how fast they are, depends on breed I would imagine - greyhound quite fast I would think.

Slightly away from the speed of the dog - you haven't got a dry BB, pedal or wheel bearings have you???

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

Latest Comments