Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon road bikes

I will, hopefully, be in the lucky position of ordering a new road bike next month. I have decided on a Canyon due to their uber competitive pricing and glowing reviews.

I now have the lucky problem of deciding which groupset to choose with it. The dura ace and ultegra di2 prices are very similar so I wanted to throw this out there.

Would you go for Dura Ace mechanical or electronic Ultegra?

My heart says di2 but my brain says Dura ace would be better in the long term. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

My Ultimate AL has too short a reach for me so I'm trying to get hold of a 130mm stem from Canyon. Anyone else know why Canyons come with such a short reach? Leg positioning is pretty much perfect but reach makes me feel like I'm riding a hybrid or something.

Thank God I didn't go for the 58. I reckon I could almost ride a 62.

GTDan | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ordered and received my Roadlite in under a week. Excellent build quality and feels strong with even my 16 stone on it!

Tom Amos | 11 years ago
0 likes

My bike turned up this morning and I took it for a 40 mile spin.

It is an incredible bike. I bought the Ultimate AL and it is *nothing* like my previous alu bike frame. Canyon could probably getaway with naming it Carbon Fibre and noone would notice.

Tom Amos | 11 years ago
0 likes

(deleted)

StantheVoice replied to Tom Amos | 11 years ago
0 likes

That's not a Canyon thing, it's a bank thing - they're so hot on fraud that any unusual purchase overseas (which usually means ANY purchase overseas) is flagged up.

0 likes

I've ordered an Ultimate AL in a size 60. I've heard great things about the bike and I'm just hoping that I haven't ordered too big. I'm somewhere between a 58 and a 60 usually but I don't fancy going all the way to Koblenz just to find out what I take in a Canyon.

The Good Shepherd | 11 years ago
0 likes

I recently bough an Aeroad with Ultegra Di2. It's pretty much one of the best decisions I've ever made. Di2 is awesome for adjusting. No fiddling with barrel adjustors - you can do it all via the shift levers in the adjust mode. It's a really cool little feature.

This is my second Canyon, and to be honest, I'm quite confident that I'll be buying from them for a long time. They are fantastic.

0 likes

Dave,

Yup, the recent fall in sterling hasn't helped  2

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

canyon pricing depends on the euro exchange rate so it does fluctuate, although i suspect the base price has also gone up a bit

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Although the price has jumped a bit hasn't it?! Bout £400 I think.

0 likes

nfe,

Yup, have read the reviews several times  26

0 likes

You know this site gave the AL Di2 their bike of the year award, right?

I think you'll be fine. That said, if my current project (via my LBS) doesn't get off the ground and I look to Canyon instead, I'll be going for the Carbon Ultimate CF 8.0 with mech Ultegra and Ksyrium Elites.

chiv30 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I decided on the ultimate cf 8 with ultegra and I have to say it's a phenomenal ride it soaks up everything and weighs in at roughly 7kg  3

0 likes

Just wanted to refloat this topic up the list on the forum.

Planning on going for the Ultimate AL with di2 but just wondering if I should go for a carbon frame and stick with mechanical groupset.

I like the idea of that magic carpet ride on the carbon frame. I'm really wondering if the aluminium frame is going to live up to expectations?

I have a bTwin aluminium road frame at the moment (rubbish, I know) and it is a very harsh ride sometimes.

0 likes

Thanks for all the good advice!

Di2 it will be.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd go for electronic ultegra, but if you do go mechanical i'd opt for ultegra and upgrade the wheels

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

I'd go for electronic ultegra, but if you do go mechanical i'd opt for ultegra and upgrade the wheels

He's right, you know.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ultegra's a whole lot cheaper to replace too - for the bits that are likely to wear out or break. Well, apart from your deraillieurs. Then you'll just have to cry.

Canyon make lovely frames though. Lucky you!

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd find this a tough choice too. My view would probably end up the same as notfastenough's. I'd be likely to go for the electronic system, mainly because I've heard that once it's set correctly there really isn't anything to do to keep it functioning sweetly and it self-trims as notfastenough says. I'd be a bit paranoid initially about the battery failing miles from anywhere but I've heard this is pretty unlikely unless it gets very wet.

0 likes

Tough one. A guy on the club run has just gone through the same thing and opted for mech DA since it is so well-proven and either are beyond his capabilities anyway. It did spark a discussion as to what level of bling is acceptable on club rides!

I believe the cable tensioning is automatically set on di2, and the auto-trim is ace. If you're mechanically useless, di may be better, but if you like tinkering, probably dura-ace.

Latest Comments