Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear Derailleur Issue

Hi

I'm having a bit of trouble with my rear derailleur. With the cable loose etc. the derailleur does not shift the chain to the smallest cog, but the 3rd smallest. I've never had this issue before, it doesn't seem to be anything to do with the limit screws. Does anyone know what might be causing the issue and how to solve it?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

gillerz960 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. I managed to sort it in the end, think the problem was the derailleur wasn't on properly which was strange because it had worked before, I had only changed the chain.

Taking it off the bike and putting it back on sorted it out.

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you have had an accident then it could also be bent derailleur or derailleur bracket.....

Most likely a really good clear (take it off the bike and give it a good going over with degreaser and a toothbrush) should sort it out.

Presumably it did work at some point in the past?

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like the mechanism is jammed up with crud or something.

Just to re-iterate - cables loose, limit screws out, index screw on lowest point

You should be able to move the mech with your hand through the entire range of the cassette - can you do this?

Latest Comments