Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Shimano vs. campagnolo

Hi!
What is better Shimano or Campagnolo? What do you think?

Cadence Performance gives a unique opportunity to test out 2 significant new product launches from the component industry’s undeniable leaders: Campagnolo Athena EPS and Shimano Dura Ace 9000.

WHEN : Saturday, Dec. 1st at 12:00pm
WHERE : Cadence at 2a Anerley Hill, SE19 2AA - Crystal Palace. London
0208 676 8825

There’ll be two presentations followed by a Q&A session and YOUR CHANCE to test-ride the groupsets afterwards on our Tacx Genius Virtual Reality turbo trainers.

CADENCE PERFORMANCE
0208 676 8825
http://www.cadenceperformance.com
@cadenceperform
http://www.facebook.com/cadenceperformance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

Fai Mao replied to roughwaters99 | 11 years ago
0 likes
roughwaters99 wrote:

Shimano is like driving a Honda Civic. Great quality and it will go on and on but when has anyone felt passionate about a Honda Civic? Campag is a Maserati: yes it'll probably go wrong at some point but it's fantastic until it does.
A simple choice between reliable conformity or soul....

Comparing Shimano to Honda insults Honda. When a Honda needs maintenance it can be repaired. You throw Shimano away. Indeed, this years Shimano often does not even work with last year's stuff so you have to replace everything. A better comparison would be that Shimano is Yugo if Yugo had a better reliability record

Campagnolo parts last far longer. You can argue about ergonomics and which shifting you prefer (Vague & mushy but requiring less strength or more positive and tactile but requiring a slightly longer throw) but Campagnolo is simply better quality stuff. It almost never wears out and is repairable after an accident.

Shimano is also over priced. I mean really really, it is made in China or Malaysia where the labor cost is practically nil. Why does Dura Ace cost as much a Super Record given the higher production cost in Italy?

I think Campagnolo has real problems with marketing their products but not in the design and manufacture of their products

gazer117 replied to Fai Mao | 11 years ago
0 likes

Campagnolo parts last far longer. You can argue about ergonomics and which shifting you prefer (Vague & mushy but requiring less strength or more positive and tactile but requiring a slightly longer throw) but Campagnolo is simply better quality stuff. It almost never wears out and is repairable after an accident.

Shimano is also over priced. I mean really really, it is made in China or Malaysia where the labor cost is practically nil. Why does Dura Ace cost as much a Super Record given the higher production cost in Italy?

1. Dura ace is the same price if not a bit cheaper than Super Record if you shop around. What about the price difference between DI2 and EPS ?

2. Most if not all Campagnolo compononets are made in Romania now. All that happens in Italy is that the part have either very light finishing work, or just packaged into boxes

3. Shimano stuff is replaceable, however many people just cba to source the spare parts.

Chris James replied to roughwaters99 | 9 years ago
0 likes
roughwaters99 wrote:

Shimano is like driving a Honda Civic. Great quality and it will go on and on but when has anyone felt passionate about a Honda Civic? Campag is a Maserati: yes it'll probably go wrong at some point but it's fantastic until it does.
A simple choice between reliable conformity or soul....

I don't get passionate about a load of sprockets and springs, and I'm a mechanical engineer!

I think you need to get out a bit more...

Pages

Latest Comments