Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Your expert bike opinions sought - please???

Gentlemen, your professional opinions sought.  26
This is my new Specialized Roubaix 7900 Dura Ace built on a 54.5 SL3 Expert frame – though it’s no ‘normal’ spec’d Roubaix SL3. This bike, now just finished, has been in a turbo trainer to set up gears and road tested (in clear weather) for a 30 mile ride and it’s smooth, quiet and superb, way above me, and it’s bloody light too.  4

However, being a Colnago nut, how much do you consider this would be worth?  39

I'll come clean, a good friend is selling his C59 that I have had my eyes on for ages (though not as well spec’d as this one), Oooh the temptation to go into big debt and have both is so strong – oh, hide the credit card.

Anyway, spec for your consideration.
Specialized SL3 Roubaix Expert Zert frame and uncut fork with special insert.
Specialized Roubaix post clamp.
Specialized Roubaix pave’ 27.2 zert seatpost.
Specialized toupe’ saddle.
Specialized shallow drop bars.
Specialized S-Wrap bar tape with sponges.
Specialized 4 way stem.
Twin Elite bottle cages.
Token blue chain catcher.
Continental GP4000s.
Continental race tubes.
Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels.
Dura Ace 7900, Cables, Compact crankset (172.5) Brakes, Shifters, Front and Rear mechs.
Ultegra Bottom Bracket and 11-28 cassette.
Top of the range, hollow pin KMC chain (still sticky).
I would keep the CS200 though.

Curious on how much this would be worth if I considered selling it – I know, just finished it - this bike is nice to have for next season, however WAY above my ‘station’ – lordy, I still have to face the Wife.  2

Let me have your thoughts, by PM if necessary.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Btw, what must the Venge be like then?

0 likes

My mate that started my Spesh obsession by getting a secteur has just got the standard roubaix after getting knocked off and having his pride and joy written off.

So I know the roubaix is lovely.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Ha! Nice one SD,  1

I still have the S-Works Tarmac 'Blackbird' stealth - that won't go.

These Roubaix are a cracking bike and VERY comfortable too. The comparison between the Tarmac and the Roubaix is like night and day - the Tarmac is aggressive, really fast and it's 'point, aim, fire' attitude is really fun, with little compromise - it keeps you alert for sure.

The Roubaix is a 'different' fast (sounds crazy, but it really is) but is a luxurious fast with calm reactions and a bike that makes you relax and just pedal with no dramas.

It would be a hard call if I was made to choose just one. As the years tick away the enjoyment of the Roubaix is nice - but sometimes I still like to go out and frighten myself - enter the Tarmac.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

0 likes

Should have built another Tarmac instead -  3

Well you did ask  16

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Interesting reply notfastenough, thanks.

It is a superb bike and I understand it is technically 'second hand' way above me  39 - I know a brand new bike off the rack in a shop has 20% Vat inclusive, shop, wages etc to recoup. Strange old world aye?

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, tough question. A brand new SL3 with Ultegra and DT Axis 3.0 wheels is in the sales for £2.7k, yours probably has circa £1k more value as a shop bike, but of course technically it's 2nd hand (I know, I know, but what can you do?). Ask for 3k and settle for 2.8?

Latest Comments