Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Choosing new bike size based on old bike.

Hey,

Now I ride a 58 cm Trek with the following geometry (in mm) :

Seat tube: 553
Head tube: 190
Frame reach: 391
Frame stack: 596
Chainstay: 441

"Effective top tube": 573

Seat angle: 73 deg
Head angle: 73.8

I ride it with a 90 mm stem (short arms!), +10 degrees, 1 cm spacer.

Saddle height to centre of BB is 81 cm.

For my new bike, I can only choose between 57 and 59 cm:

57/59:
Seat tube: 570/590
Head tube: 163/180
Frame reach: 394/397
Frame stack: 563/581
Chainstay: 406/406

Top tube: 560/575

Seat angle: 70/70 deg
Head angle: 73/73.5 deg

Before you ask, I am ordering it by mail so I can't really try it out. I understand that it's supposed to be a "racier" geometry, it's a lot more money as well!

So, which of the two should I choose? And with what stem and spacers? Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

how tall are you Redbeard?

redbeard497 | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's a similar company: ROSE. rosebikes.co.uk

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

are you buying a Canyon per chance?

Farky | 11 years ago
0 likes

Based on the top tube, Id say the larger of the options as it matched your existing closest. Youc an always put a seat post up but theres only so much you can add in a stem.

I ordered my new bike in much the same way but I used measurements form ground as they are more relevant. I actually bought a small frame where I was riding a large as I needed a slightly shorted top tube, seemed really small at the time but its paid off...no more lower back pain.

I used an app called size my bike and it created a sound base that pointed out what I knew, that my frame was too long for me, but it also suggested a starting point that made me realise i should look at smaller frames so its fairly good.

Looks like your existing frame is a lot mroe upright and the new one more racing designed but its meaurements from the ground that will tell you that. Only thing that remains fixed is top tube and seat tube, the rest are design.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Based on that, If your legs are ok with reaching the little bit further, I'd go with the 59 and then get a slightly shorter stem, maybe a 75mm. Unsure about spacers though  26

Latest Comments