thermal underwear

by Adey   November 25, 2012  

anyone wear this?
i wear the under armour now its colder but is it worth investing in thermal underwear? or is it classed as the same thing?
confused!! Confused

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Overly sweaty nut sack? No thanks Wink

posted by stepho [102 posts]
25th November 2012 - 20:28

2 Likes

I wear HH longjohns over my shorts if a little nippy but go for the proper leggings if cold. Agree on the sweaty nuts thing no thank you.

cidermart's picture

posted by cidermart [460 posts]
25th November 2012 - 21:40

2 Likes

I get cheap thermal tops from Asda or Matalan which do a fine job. Never considered the bottoms

Dutchie's picture

posted by Dutchie [52 posts]
25th November 2012 - 22:35

4 Likes

The best thermals are your regular bibshorts. I wear my bibs and regular long jerseys and jacket with bibtights over the shorts. If the bibtights come with padding I take that one out. If it is too cold to wear the bibtights on their own, whats the point of them being padded?

Suffering from Low Cadence.

bikeboy76's picture

posted by bikeboy76 [1261 posts]
26th November 2012 - 3:36

1 Like

Bib tights, a couple of base layers and a cycling jacket is plenty for even the coldest scottish day.
If im still cold then im not riding hard enough Devil

posted by stepho [102 posts]
26th November 2012 - 7:03

3 Likes

I would still like to be using my knees in 30 years time. 7/8 degrees is the cut off point for tights depending on the wetness. But I regularly see black tights and yellow jacket types in June. Cool

Suffering from Low Cadence.

bikeboy76's picture

posted by bikeboy76 [1261 posts]
26th November 2012 - 14:46

2 Likes

I was actually brought up with "longbibs under 15 degrees"! Mind you, this was in the days before 3/4 bibs.

Dutchie's picture

posted by Dutchie [52 posts]
26th November 2012 - 21:47

3 Likes

I'm confused too.
Windproof kit really helps to keep out the cold. I agree with BB76 that you can wear your ordinary kit under some unpadded bibs - unpadded super roubaix bibs in my case. Merino base layers are great for keeping you warm on top or bottom.

Ah! Condor

posted by Bedfordshire Clanger [310 posts]
1st December 2012 - 2:20

1 Like