Do I need a TT frame?

by TheHatter   November 25, 2012  

I'm thinking of building up a bike for TT'ing next year as this year I was using my road bike and I fancy stepping it up a bit and give myself a project over the winter.

I don't want to spend a pile and as i have plenty of bits around including bar end shifters. My question is what frame should I get - do I need a TT specific frame to get in a good position or can i get away with a road bike frame ?
Your views as ever are appreciated:)

15 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

If you're building a bike purely for racing in time trials then it really ought to be a TT-specific frame. Anything else would be rather similar to what you have now.

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [2183 posts]
25th November 2012 - 17:40

0 Likes

Yeah a TT specific frame would be better, but if you are after a frame and bars at a decent price, can't go far wrong with this........Make me an offer on this Trek

http://road.cc/content/forum/70246-fs-couple-bikes-sale

I'll take the wheel's off because that are for single speed. Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9163 posts]
25th November 2012 - 19:37

0 Likes

Cheers Gkam - but I think I'll keep looking for a TT specific frame for a bit. Depending on if you're looking to split I may come back to you as while I have bars and shifters I'll need some cheap brakes and levers if you end up splitting it.

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [811 posts]
25th November 2012 - 20:05

1 Like

You could do worse than the Planet X offerings...

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1734 posts]
25th November 2012 - 21:45

0 Likes

Raleigh wrote:
You could do worse than the Planet X offerings...

Indeed, you could do worse and get one of the Cervelo P range Devil .......But Planet X is a good shout on a budget

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9163 posts]
25th November 2012 - 21:51

2 Likes

Funnily enough:

I have a Raleigh Special products Alloy aero TT frame in the shed that I would be willing to part with for £60....Paint is all good and it really is very aero 54cm top tube.

My knee hurts!

posted by aende [37 posts]
26th November 2012 - 10:16

0 Likes

Hi Aende
I'm really interested in your frame though it may be a little small - I ride a 57 road bike and I'm 6' tall - do you think it would fit?

TheHatter's picture

26th November 2012 - 12:31

1 Like

I seem to recall Chris Boardman used to favour TT bikes that were a bit small for him, he sometimes used MTB seatposts because they extended higher before reaching the limit.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice...

posted by notfastenough [3589 posts]
26th November 2012 - 12:45

0 Likes

@TheHatter

TT frame top tubes are generally shorter - so that your elbows are on the bars....leading to a more forward position, i.e. broken back. I am 5 ft 11" tall and 54 to 55 is good for me in a TT position, I just adjust out with layback seatpost and stem length, but keeps the wheelbase really short.

No forks with the frame, but has a cane creek headset!

My knee hurts!

26th November 2012 - 12:46

0 Likes

thanks Aende -

In that case can you send me a pic when you get a chance - be good to see one of the frame built up if you have one too. From what you say though I'm really interested as it sounds ideal.

just a couple of other Q's I presume its for 700 wheels? Also is it a 1" fork?

TheHatter's picture

26th November 2012 - 12:56

1 Like

@The Hatter;

yes - 700c 130mm oln spacing, 68 British thread BB. It is a 1 and 1/8th fork/headset. It was fitted with Campag Record originally.

I will PM a pic tomorrow.

My knee hurts!

26th November 2012 - 12:57

1 Like

@Aende, cheers will look forward to the pic

TheHatter's picture

26th November 2012 - 19:53

2 Likes

Bugger - forgot to do this last night. Written on hand!

My knee hurts!

27th November 2012 - 14:14

0 Likes

Finally! Apologies for the delay:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some light/soiled usage marks, will look better with a good clean up! No dents. Comes with Cane Creek headset, seatpost collar and mech hanger.

My knee hurts!

29th November 2012 - 11:08

1 Like

Hi Aende,
apologies for the late reply but I've now sent you a PM
Paul

TheHatter's picture

22nd December 2012 - 12:18

0 Likes