Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Do I need a TT frame?

I'm thinking of building up a bike for TT'ing next year as this year I was using my road bike and I fancy stepping it up a bit and give myself a project over the winter.

I don't want to spend a pile and as i have plenty of bits around including bar end shifters. My question is what frame should I get - do I need a TT specific frame to get in a good position or can i get away with a road bike frame ?
Your views as ever are appreciated:)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Aende,
apologies for the late reply but I've now sent you a PM
Paul

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

Finally! Apologies for the delay:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Some light/soiled usage marks, will look better with a good clean up! No dents. Comes with Cane Creek headset, seatpost collar and mech hanger.

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bugger - forgot to do this last night. Written on hand!

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

@Aende, cheers will look forward to the pic

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

@The Hatter;

yes - 700c 130mm oln spacing, 68 British thread BB. It is a 1 and 1/8th fork/headset. It was fitted with Campag Record originally.

I will PM a pic tomorrow.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

thanks Aende -

In that case can you send me a pic when you get a chance - be good to see one of the frame built up if you have one too. From what you say though I'm really interested as it sounds ideal.

just a couple of other Q's I presume its for 700 wheels? Also is it a 1" fork?

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

@TheHatter

TT frame top tubes are generally shorter - so that your elbows are on the bars....leading to a more forward position, i.e. broken back. I am 5 ft 11" tall and 54 to 55 is good for me in a TT position, I just adjust out with layback seatpost and stem length, but keeps the wheelbase really short.

No forks with the frame, but has a cane creek headset!

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I seem to recall Chris Boardman used to favour TT bikes that were a bit small for him, he sometimes used MTB seatposts because they extended higher before reaching the limit.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Aende
I'm really interested in your frame though it may be a little small - I ride a 57 road bike and I'm 6' tall - do you think it would fit?

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

Funnily enough:

I have a Raleigh Special products Alloy aero TT frame in the shed that I would be willing to part with for £60....Paint is all good and it really is very aero 54cm top tube.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

You could do worse than the Planet X offerings...

Gkam84 replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

You could do worse than the Planet X offerings...

Indeed, you could do worse and get one of the Cervelo P range  19 .......But Planet X is a good shout on a budget

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Gkam - but I think I'll keep looking for a TT specific frame for a bit. Depending on if you're looking to split I may come back to you as while I have bars and shifters I'll need some cheap brakes and levers if you end up splitting it.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah a TT specific frame would be better, but if you are after a frame and bars at a decent price, can't go far wrong with this........Make me an offer on this Trek

http://road.cc/content/forum/70246-fs-couple-bikes-sale

I'll take the wheel's off because that are for single speed.  3

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you're building a bike purely for racing in time trials then it really ought to be a TT-specific frame. Anything else would be rather similar to what you have now.

Latest Comments