Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon bike hunting, any ideas?

Been reading road.cc articles for a few years now, but never looked at the forum before. So hi  9

Anyway, i'm on the hunt in the winter sales for a carbon bike, on a budget of a thousand pounds. I had my heart set on either a Cube Agree 105 or a Focus Cayo 3.0. But neither of them seems to come down in price yet, while i see other nice bikes appearing and getting sold out. Anyone got an idea why these two bikes are not getting reduced (yet)? Or what else to get in my budget? Few limitations: i'm a Shimano man so no Campa or SRAM, and good as they may be i'll pass on Boardmans.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

34 comments

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Some interesting insights there Nzlucas

Municipal Waste wrote:

39 Interesting... A carbon fibre road bike with full 105 that's on sale for 45% off when nearly every major bike manufacturer has sold out of their stock months ago, must be a cracker  10

I think there are more factors in bike sales than the quality of the bike that determine whether there are stocks going away at discounted prices at the end of the season. Trade is not as straight forward as that.

Also love how several people have stated i'm wrong in looking for a carbon bike and coming up with aluminium bikes without knowing anything about me, the type of rider i am and my demands from a bike  3

Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes

39 Interesting... A carbon fibre road bike with full 105 that's on sale for 45% off when nearly every major bike manufacturer has sold out of their stock months ago, must be a cracker  10

Nzlucas replied to Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes

I work in the trade and here's my 2 cents.

The wiggins effect means road bikes should so well over summer there was no need the discount them heavily cause there were not many left.

Secondly, 2013 bikes are getting de-specc'ed for a slight or no price decrease so 2012 bikes offer better value money, if you can find one.

Thirdly cube agrees sold very well and we had none left before the end of the summer, BUT the internal routing has the potential to upset the rear gear changes so this years cabling in external again.

Cheers

Littlesox replied to Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes
Municipal Waste wrote:

Don't know - they seem to be OK. Guy I know has a Ridley Noah for TT, and it's a decent bike.

Wiggle are also offering a Felt F5 for 1100 and a Raleigh SP Comp for 1000.

Both are carbon and with 105

Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes

Frankly for £1000 I wouldn't be looking at a carbon fibre bike, it simply isn't enough money to get a decent bike, especially if you're after a 105 groupset as well.

Cannondale CAAD8 would be where my money went and it WILL be a better bike to ride than anything you can get in 'carbon' at this price in terms of comfort and performance.

Littlesox replied to Municipal Waste | 11 years ago
0 likes
Municipal Waste wrote:

Frankly for £1000 I wouldn't be looking at a carbon fibre bike, it simply isn't enough money to get a decent bike, especially if you're after a 105 groupset as well.

Wiggle have got Ridley Orion 1105B in Small and Medium for £999

Seems to fit the bill.

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry guys, not been online much lately. More good ideas there but: the Giant TCR Composite 2. This is the bike i rode in summer and the bike that won the argument for getting a carbon bike for me. It fitted me like a glove and with prices dropping to 1099 it became my preferred option. But stocks seem to be going fast, so i ordered one before Crimbo to not miss out. Now just to wait for spring to ride it  20

If you're bargain hunting and are after something specific: a lot of bikes seem to be selling fast. Maybe it's the great uptake in cycling over the past few years? Good luck with the hunt!

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

CRC have an Ultegra beone ex demo for £1049 if you fit a 56. I've got the same frame and its very nice.

robcrow | 11 years ago
0 likes

worth checking the ridley outlet shop online,its updated all the time,you can often pick up some great bargains.

AWP | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've just bought a Planet X SL Pro with flatbars to use as commuter/winter bike; really light, comfortable and quick. The drop bar versions are £999. You can't wrong as far as I'm concerned.

Timbo13 | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Dolan Mythos

Adam Buckland_ASD | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd keep an eye out for a Giant TCR Composite (Hopefully they'll get down to your budget). Although 'composite' is Giant's entry level carbon grade it is a fantastic frame, far better than some other brands higher spec offerings.

If you can look past carbon and are willing to venture down the aluminium route it's so hard to fault Canondales's Cad10 - amazing bike and if there are any left can be had for about a grand!!

Bryin | 11 years ago
0 likes

You might try the used market, ebay ect.. There are many guys that try out the sport and decide it is not for them and they sell their stuff super cheap. Also ebay has more and more new bikes at good prices. Or try Pedal Force, some good deals there.

HarveyMorcombe | 11 years ago
0 likes

There's always the brilliant canyon bikes  39

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Oh and just so I keep on topic, for the OP I have a mate with a Cayo 105 and he loves it. Keep hunting for what you really want IMHO. You'll end up regretting it otherwise. Trust me, I have been there in the past.

bicicleta | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Dutchie,

Maybe you could try to go to Cadence Performance for FREE advice and even ride with them.

Cadence Cycling Performance Centre - South London's best cycling community

0208 676 8825
www.cadenceperformance.com
@cadenceperform

Super Domestique replied to bicicleta | 11 years ago
0 likes
bicicleta wrote:

Hi Dutchie,

Maybe you could try to go to Cadence Performance for FREE advice and even ride with them.

Cadence Cycling Performance Centre - South London's best cycling community

0208 676 8825
www.cadenceperformance.com
@cadenceperform

Just watched your you tube vid. Looks really interesting. Any plans for opening more centres? I can see one going down well in Surrey, etc.

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm hoping to buy a Canyon in the near future. Just trying to work out whether to buy their standard carbon frame or throw the extra money at their Super Bike frame. Apparently the weight difference is tiny - even for weight weenies.

gazer117 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have you thought about a chinease carbon bike perhaps ? you could easily build one up for the 1K mark, and then have it built exactly as you want ?

Eg3ftp1 replied to gazer117 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good suggestion. I've just got hold of a FM066 from Hongfu, £450 for the frame, fork, headset seatpost, stem and handlebars, and based on the 50miles I've done so far it's fantastic. Very stiff and responsive and surprisingly smooth over the bumps. 1070g frame weight for the 60cm full T1000 carbon frame. You could easily build that up with Shimano 105 and have enough left over for a pair of fulcrum 5s. You might even be able to stretch to a set of carbon clinchers from china too.

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input guys. The Cube seems indeed sold out by now, never been on sale. Some interesting alternatives mentioned there! But hanging on till after christmas might also be a good idea.

I have a few bargain second hand bikes in my shed, but this time i do want new. As for Ribble: one of my mates has a carbon Ribble and he is happy with it. But my winter bike came from Ribble and i had a few issues with them over that... i will never buy so much as a inner tube from them again.

Chuck replied to Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dutchie wrote:

The Cube seems indeed sold out by now, never been on sale.

It's maybe stating the obvious, but retailers will only sell things at a reduced price that they can't sell at full price. Why would they do otherwise?

So if you want something very popular, don't be surprised if it's not heavily discounted.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Many people slag them off but i know a few people who ride Ribble bikes and they love them. Carbon Frame for well under a grand.

Ben Burns replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Many people slag them off but i know a few people who ride Ribble bikes and they love them. Carbon Frame for well under a grand.

Same on the Planet X front, I know a few people who ride them and love them! Again prices can fluctuate so best to keep checking in the new year...

Stumps replied to Ben Burns | 11 years ago
0 likes
Ben Burns wrote:
stumps wrote:

Same on the Planet X front, I know a few people who ride them and love them! Again prices can fluctuate so best to keep checking in the new year...

My bro has a Planet X frame and forks, built the rest up himself. Very light, impressed.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

I saw a promo at VeloUK for Dolan Mythos with Campag Veloce for £750. While not as big a bargain, the Shimano & SRAM versions start at about £900:

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/Carbon/Shimano%20Op/Mythos%20Rd
http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road-bikes/Carbon/Sram%20Op/Mythos%20Road%20Bike

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Second hand second hand second hand second hand

Have a look in february ish, when people are beginning to get their new summer bikes ready and will be selling off last year's model.

I bought a Dura Ace planet-X for under 900 quid last year. This year, whilst looking for a winter bike, I bought a Trek 5200 OCLV carbon Ultegra bike for 500 quid.

MrBLH | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just keep an eye on wiggle/merlin etc.
The Sensa bikes on merlin look good value.

Seems that people are putting prices up/down like the stock market to clear certain models.
I got a felt F5 back in October under £1K (45% off) from wiggle, price has crept up to £1300(20% off) now.

Close to Christmas doesn't seem the best time of year to buy.

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cube usually sell out, from what I've been told.

Pages

Latest Comments