Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pedals

I have been using shimano mtb pedals on my road bike for a couple of years now. I have Sidi road shows which take both cleats and i am fairly happy with my set up.
The thing is i have signed up for my first sportive and plan on doing another 2 or 3 after that, i am also awaiting delivery of my new Ribble ultralite racing bike which i have ordered without pedals.
Is there any real benefit in using road pedals over mtb?
i do think the road pedals look a bit better and if there are any "marginal gains" to be had then i would maybe change my set up.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Save your money.

Shimano A520 and A600 (road.cc review here) have a similar shape to road pedals and, though most cycling shoes have an adequately stiff sole, feel better than the usual MTB-type SPD pedals.

jimmo62 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Road pedals have a larger platform than the small SPDs which may help reduce pressure on the foot but if you have good shoes it would be marginal. But you can of course get "platform" SPDs as well. If you get stuck and have to push then road shoes are a real pain. Generally they eel more "connected" and secure - I use both and would say unless you are a high performance cyclist there's not much in it - except as you say the looks!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't know if there is much of a difference, but others might be able to prove me wrong.

Can do you a deal on some carbon pedal's here  3
http://road.cc/content/forum/70053-fstrade-look-cx7-carbon-pedals

stepho replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats a bargain right there.
For that price it would be crazy not to give them a go.

Have replied on your original selling post.

Thanks all for the advice.
Very much appreciated.

Latest Comments