Help me choose a tyre!

by redbeard497   November 22, 2012  

Hey, I'm planning to order a bike, and I get to choose between these tyres at no extra cost:

Conti Attack/Force
Conti GP
Conti GP4000
Conti GP4000s
Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX II
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX HD Speed Guard

Conti GP TT (ha, ha).

I am planning to run these on Ksyrium Elites as all-rounders. I guess I'd normally pick the GP4000s, but the Vittorias are tempting at the same price... However will I end up fixing 10 punctures every day if I run the Open Corsas?

Too bad I can't get the Open Paves, that's what I would pick if there was unlimited choice.

So any input from owners of these tyres? Thanks!

13 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I am not even going to search them all, but anything that's not folding gets my vote. So the GP4000s

But have a look here, I think there are a couple of them

http://road.cc/review-archive?tid=10729

Vittoria
http://road.cc/content/review/51917-vittoria-open-corsa-evo-cx-tyre

Schwalbe
http://road.cc/content/review/54936-schwalbe-ultremo-zx-tyre

Conti GP
http://road.cc/content/review/6226-continental-grand-prix-700x24c-tyre

Conti Force Attack
http://road.cc/content/review/4790-continental-forceattack-combo

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9013 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 8:59

3 Likes

Why the hate for folding tyres? Right now I have wire bead and changing inner tubes is a nightmare...

posted by redbeard497 [13 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 9:00

3 Likes

big fan of the GP4000s, never had a puncture. Ran with the Mavics that came with my new wheelset, punctured on second spin, Crying

posted by micheal100 [6 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 9:03

2 Likes

GP4000s for me every time, rain or shine. Best tyres I've ever had for general use.

posted by ploughclose [19 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 9:19

4 Likes

Folding tyres just dont have the best of protection that beaded ones do, they are much stronger because they are made to be that shape. Folded are just a pain in the arse apart from carrying one as a spare to get you home Wink

Gkam84's picture

22nd November 2012 - 10:07

4 Likes

Keith, I don't understand. The bead is either wire or kevlar, but what difference does that make to puncture protection?

Schwalbe Durano are available in both bead types. Apart from weight I don't think there is any other difference between the two but you'd have to ask Schwalbe UK about that.

I haven't tried any of those tyres so can't offer anything from personal experience. From reviews and opinions I've heard I would suggest Ultremo ZX or GP4000S.

Simon E's picture

posted by Simon E [2033 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 10:23

3 Likes

Well, I am a big fan of Schwalbe tyres, having used most of the range at some point.
I personally use 25mm Durano's and have never had a problem with them - and they last for years!!
The extra depth means that they are comfortable and I haven't had any pinch-punctures (unlike other 23mm tyres I have used). Only one penetration puncture whilst riding.
Using the folding version means that changing tyres is easy-peasy. You don't even need tyre levers as they slip off the rim easily.
When you consider the convenience, I wouldn't use anything other than a 25mm folding tyre now.

Gravity - it won't let you down.

bigmel's picture

posted by bigmel [82 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 11:03

4 Likes

GP4000s - you cannot go wrong.

Ah! Condor

posted by Bedfordshire Clanger [324 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 11:50

2 Likes

I always thought that it was a choice between beaded and folding, was I wrong?

I know the beading has nothing to do with puncture protection, but I tend to find that non folding tyres seem to have better life and strength to them Thinking

Gkam84's picture

22nd November 2012 - 13:33

3 Likes

Gkam,

Non folding tyres have a wire bead
Folding tyres have a Kevlar bead
That's the only difference as far as I know.
As Simon E says - it shouldn't make a difference to puncture protection or longevity of the tyre but perhaps the difference in production processes makes a little difference. I wouldn't have thought that it does though.

Ah! Condor

posted by Bedfordshire Clanger [324 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 15:18

4 Likes

GP4000s here also. Don't forget the GP4 Season too.
Both fantastic rubber.

Regards,

Trikeman. Wink

Grunt, puff, pant and groan goes the old man - but he gets there in the end. ;o)

trikeman's picture

posted by trikeman [386 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 16:43

4 Likes

get the corsa's and keep them for best, in the mean while grab a couple of rubino pro's for the winter for £17 each on wiggle. Then you have a really fast tyre and a good puncture resistant tyre.

posted by SammyG [295 posts]
22nd November 2012 - 22:48

2 Likes

GP4000s

Having said that, I have had a very violent spate of recent punctures, but if I were to replace, I'd get the same.

They're cheap on PBK

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1733 posts]
23rd November 2012 - 8:52

4 Likes