Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What exercises do you do when off the bike and out and about or at work?

Curious to see if anyone does any exercises to maintain their fitness when off their bikes and out and about or at work etc.

Me: When walking up stairs I walk as if I have high heels on and raise my heels to increase the strength of my calves for when on the bike. Not sure if it makes a difference though but anything helps I guess.

I would practice in the wife's shoes but I might break them  44 and walking up stairs is the only place I can do this without any strange looks  4 .

Respect to all the women who wear high heels all the time. Too much like hard work for me  13 .

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Adey | 11 years ago
0 likes

train upper body using weights during winter
when light nights return - ride as much as possible  3

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was planning on doing a strength programme focused on me legs, so not too much hypertrophy.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

Aerobics classes are good, mind you standing looking through the window "at the ladies" doesn't really count does it  19

spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes

Currently I'm only cycling, but I would like to include some weight training!

Going to try and work out how to fit it in, probably become easier when it gets colder.

Steven_L replied to spongebob | 11 years ago
0 likes
SammyG wrote:

Currently I'm only cycling, but I would like to include some weight training!

Going to try and work out how to fit it in, probably become easier when it gets colder.

Don't get into it too much - muscle is heavier than fat! If you're doing any exercises; you can't go wrong with compound moves like lunges, squats, deadlifts, bench press & military press. And you can't beat circuit classes

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I Wattbike  19

PRINCIPIA PHIL | 11 years ago
0 likes

I augment my cycling (100 miles per week on average) with 3 circuit classes per week. My cycling target this year being 5000 miles - 4811 miles so far, so well on target.
Wearing running shorts you do get commented on as there's a noticeable tan line all year round and then there's the shaved legs....
I've been doing circuits for 13 years now and it's by far the best exercise to get you into shape (i took a year out in 2008 and the lbs went on inspite of riding 6000 miles that year) - it works everything (core and upper torso especially) and not just legs, lungs and heart.
I've been riding for 26 years so i see myself as a cyclist first and a circuit trainer second though.

Sadly Biggins | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not really bike or fitness-related but I do press-ups, chins and dips when I can be bothered to go into the garage in the evening (not often if you ask Mrs Biggins). Other than that, I do some foam-rollering for flexibility, especially after being on the turbo.

formereve | 11 years ago
0 likes

My extra exercise when off the bike is to go to the gym at work and do the british cycling 20 minute warm up then go through the specific routines that correspond to which day it is. Today (21st Nov) the main session is to try to beat my 25k record of 30 mins 22 seconds and also see if my ave heart rate is a little lower too.

CraigS | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cycling is the odd one out for me as it doesn't involve a board! As long as a long ride at the weekend I normally go out Wakeboarding and go snowboarding a an indoor snow done, then mix in a surf from time to time.

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Um, let me think, yeah - walk from bike to table in cafe, force wallet open to make purchase, drink and eat said purchase remembering to alternate hands for optimal muscle mass distribution. Though it should be noted that cyclists abhor all forms of exercise beyond turning pedals.  3

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I go fishing. Sit for upto 6 hours at a time whilst drinking coffee and eating sarnies with the occasional arm exercise when i cast.  28

Steven_L | 11 years ago
0 likes

I used to be a PTI in the TA, and still take a circuit class once a week. Used to do a lot more running/weight-lifting, but I commute-cycle every day, plus a long ride once a week, so the other stuff goes out the window.

Simon_MacMichael replied to Steven_L | 11 years ago
0 likes
Steven_L wrote:

I used to be a PTI in the TA

Ah yeah, fond memories.

PTI: "Pair yourselves off with someone around the same height and weight."

Standing next to best mate, we look at each other, shrug shoulders, about the same size so that's easy.

PTI: "Now, grab yourselves a pair of boxing gloves each from that crate over there..."

Steven_L replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:

PTI: "Now, grab yourselves a pair of boxing gloves each from that crate over there..."

lol, I wasn't that bad; circuits, interval training & CFTs were my specialty. But the battalion took up boxing again when I left (no relation, I think  1 )

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I just wear high heels all the time.

Oh sorry, that's for my *other* forum...  9  4

Core strengthening, stretching, spinning classes and a little weight-training. However, before you think "blimey!", this is because I only get two actual outdoor rides a week currently. When I add in a third ride per week, it seems to have a more noticeable benefit than the above.

Slightly OT, but I'd love to know why the spinning doesn't translate directly to the bike, despite trying to make the riding position as similar as possible.

formereve replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Slightly OT, but I'd love to know why the spinning doesn't translate directly to the bike, despite trying to make the riding position as similar as possible.

I think the reason why spinning doesnt translate directly to the bike is because when yer out on the road youre carrying your own weight where ya not doing so on a static spinning bike  1

notfastenough replied to formereve | 11 years ago
0 likes
formereve wrote:
notfastenough wrote:

I think the reason why spinning doesnt translate directly to the bike is because when yer out on the road youre carrying your own weight where ya not doing so on a static spinning bike  1

Granted, but surely if I'm working hard enough to really struggle on the tough bits then recover in between, then body weight shouldn't matter? Or to put it another way, it seems most people feel that turbo training translates to outdoor riding, so why not spinning?

ploughclose | 11 years ago
0 likes

I do two sessions of Pilates a week. I've only just started, really, but can already feel a difference. My balance is rubbish, so need to improve that. After my turbo sessions, I try to do some press-ups to improve my pitiful upper body strength!

pk1234 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Off bike exercise usually involves working out upper body muscles in lifting items such as cake and/or a pint.  4

I ride a bike to stay fit, not stay fit to ride a bike...  1

Latest Comments