Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HR Zone Advice

Hi,

Having a bit of difficulty establishing 'correct' heart rate zones on a Garmin Edge 500 (5 zones available). As is usual with the internets, there is a wealth of conflicting advice out there. Garmin suggest zone 1 starting as low as 50% of MaxHR which seems to contradict the majority of sources that place the start of zone 1 at around 60%. Garmin's own manual cites the five zones as being 50, 60, 70, 80 & 90% of MaxHR, which seems oversimplified.

Anyone have any advice on percentage values? Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

OldnSlo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, karvonen or slight variations of it which take into account your resting heart rate. Basically it's 220 - your age. your maximum hr is 80% of that figure. Have a look at www.pponline.com (you don't have to subscribe). A normal interval session for me takes me slightly over my max hr
but less than 5%.
Enjoy

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

i just put my rest and max into my 800 and let it sort out the "mess"  1

Swami Dave | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just checked Garmin's site again and it quotes its zones as %HRR values (using Karvonen) not MaxHR, which makes a bit more sense. I may not have read the manual properly.

*cough*

Cycleoptic replied to Swami Dave | 11 years ago
0 likes

I also use her karvonen method as I have a low resting heart rate.

This gives a percentage using working range max-min,

Just use as a very rough guide and see how it feels?

Steve

Latest Comments