Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gkam84 needs a trike to ride and help him deal with early Parkinson's - he's 28 FFS

Completely by chance I clicked on Gkan84's sig, wondering what it was about.

Turns out he (Keith) is suffering early onset Parkinson's and is after money to buy himself a recumbent trike so he can keep riding. He's 28.

By the look of it he's only had his fundme page open for a short while. I suspect he's being polite and not putting a direct link to it himself on the forum just yet?!

He's chosen a nice trike to aim for:
http://www.icetrikes.co/explore-our-trikes/sprint#

So, first of all wouldn't hurt to give the Keith a little money would it? I've started the pot with a measly tenner, but I figure there's quite a few of us here for whom a tenner represents just about nothing, so... it's paypal so use a bit of your 'bike fund' like I did!

Secondly maybe we can find a way of getting something similar second hand or for a discount somewhere?

http://www.gofundme.com/Gkam84

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

113 comments

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that link Steven, that just kinda confirms to everyone exactly why I am trying to get back cycling.

Unfortunately my balance is the worst part, followed by my shakes, that's why I have to go recumbent and trike rather than upright.

The only part I didn't like reading, but already knew was this

"As the disease progresses, speech and balance can be affected and some sufferers become wheelchair-bound."

That really scares the living shit out of me.

Another update, got knocked back from Oakley and Rapha  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The email's are coming thick and fast this morning. But this has to be the best I've received yet though out my appeal

Quote:

Dear Keith,

our Team Colombia will be happy to help you by sending one of our 2012 kits for your auction (the 2013 ones are not available yet!).
Please provide us the contact address to ship it, and we will send it at the earliest convenience.

Hope that will help to get you back on saddle. Please do not forget to send us some pictures with your new trike!

I also hope you will have the chance to join us some time during the next season, and meet the team: there are some great people in it, I am sure you would enjoy it.

And again: hang in there!

Kind regards,

David Evangelista
Press Officer

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wow, now that has the potential to be very cool indeed!

Whoever ends up with the Colombia kit - you'll either need to frame it, or be able to climb like spiderman!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know, its so cool of them to donate an item all the way for Colombia to help little old me.

Its weird. A few UK things, but also USA and NZ  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sooooooooooooooooo

I've ran out of thank you's I think. This is just snowballing and its awesome. So many new contacts made via twitter and email's.

A few turn downs. Which is understandable from the retail stores who already support charities and their own foundations. But otherwise its very positive.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

A little update, I have commissioned three piece's of artwork for the auction, which may turn into six because the artist is so excited about me asking her to help out.

They will be, Wiggo in TT yellow at TdF, Cav winning the Worlds and Cav winning a stage in rainbow.

She wants to posterize them but also paint them in acrylic.  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

How to keep my appeal in the spot light?

First 7 days I had 1387 unique visitors to my page, Its been 10 days now and the final 3 have had 43 visits  20

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Could always commission some bike artwork from me...

Depends what you want really, but I have access to "The best Etching Workshop in London," according to Norman Ackroyd and can also do any kind of relief printing.

All you have to do is ask, and specify the number that you want in the edition.

COOL.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

That sounds amazing Raleigh, but I have no idea of what it is. lol.

Fire me at email Guitaristkam [at] gmail.com and have a yap  3

Got my first non cycling positive today, British touring car team, ES Racing.com have said they will sort something out for me

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Now ive been payed, ive made a donation. All the best with everything

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thank you TER......Who's going to become donor 50?

No special prizes, but a iCuddle from me....if you are female  3

I think the auction/raffle has a treat in store from Raleigh.

It has inspired me to look out some canvas and see if I can't put together something of my own......could be interesting  19

If someone could try out my website, its not set up totally, but have a look and get an idea, then someone fill in the contact form to try out my settings  26

www.Gkam84.tk

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Do it, go and buy/beg some Art materials and get painting/drawing/printing/experimenting.  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

That worked a treat Raleigh. Finally got it working.

Nobody else needs to test the contact form, thanks  4

But if anyone else is arty, feel free to contribute an item to the auction. I'll give you full credit and any information about yourself that you wanted included  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

If anyone is going to get their art skills.

Anyone this good? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181021468670&fromMa...  26

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just got an email from the guy at BMC

"Your autographed item is on its way to you"

Keeping the suspense up for everyone as I have no clue what it is  19

Contact from Mark Colbourne, World and Paralympic Champion who is PHONING me tomorrow  13

FAST Freddie Rodriguez is also getting involved  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got a DM from festinagirl on Twitter. I have no idea who she is, but she's be brilliant at tweeting my link.

It reads

Quote:

heard from Marco pinotti - he will try and sort something out for you

notfastenough replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Well today's twitter spamming went something like this

Quote:

Do you think your team might be able to help my appeal with a donate of something for auction? http://www.gofundme.com/Gkam84

Within minute's I've already had replies and direct messages from BMC and Orica Greenedge asking me to email their office's.  4

Fingers crossed now. Just have to write out a nice email to them

Col Coldeportes are on board and are willing to donate something  13

Blimey! Here's hoping.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I did think about that, but I don't have the foggiest of how to go about it. After seeing a tweet that Laura Trott's jersey sold for charity over a grand.....But if it was her, I'd be to tempted to sleep with it on my pillow.

But if anyone knows how to go about approaching any pro's regarding a signed item of some sort, fire me a message on here and I'll see if I can't charm them  3

0 likes

Cool stuff, forget the negative bits, full steam ahead and all that. I've been trying to think of other things which could raise something. I'm cultivating a moustache for Movember, but that's cancer charities. I've committed to some big group walk thing, but it's a. months away, and b. for oxfam. No-one's going to sponsor me for a bike ride since they know I'd ride regardless.

If only one of those pro's would send you a signed jersey to auction!  4

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Day 4 down, just updated my page, bit of negativity today, but nothing overly bad. sitting at 25% now, mental, I am over the moon at the progress and can't thank you all enough. Although I am working on something special for each and every donor.

Its nothing exciting I'm afraid, I'm thinking a hand written letter or something, just to say thank you personally and not digitally. Now to work on my hand writing  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Its been truly astounding if i'm honest notfastenough, the response to help me out. 22% there in less than four days now including my own savings.

Going to list the bike's I have for sale here again later, but this time as component parts and see if there are people who just want a bit or two and then what's left will get put on ebay. That might bring me a bit more to put towards the goal.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would get so much help so soon. It just shows that there are good people in the world and most of them are cyclist  3

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your reply Sam.

I have tried upright trikes, both a modified one with two wheel's at the back and a custom built on for a disabled person who lives quite close with two wheel's at the front.

While that solves the balance issue's somewhat. Because of my body positioning, my leg still goes like the clappers. After trying a recumbent, not only did it solve my balance, it also stopped the left side of my body from shaking to the extent where I cannot cycling.

I was still cycling in the safety of my house on a trainer and balanced between a bed and a wall for any off's I might have, but because the tremors in my leg, that has had to stop aswell.

The tremors have been slowed and as less frequent because of medication now, but its still something I have to live with.

Thank you for your input though  4

Sam Alison | 11 years ago
0 likes

Keith I was really moved reading your story and would like to try to help. First just a question about whether you are sure you need a recumbent trike? An upright trike may well be significantly cheaper and takes more standard components that I and I'm sure many others on here would be able to help you out with. I run a small bike company and though we don't do any trikes I may have some contacts that could help. I know one of my dealers does do some upright trike stuff. If you think you definitely need the recumbent then I'll do what I can in terms of cash.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can accept offline donation's and add them to the total myself through the online donation tab. It all gets added to the total.

I shall email you, but its a shame about your guitar skills though, being a guitarist myself. Thats what the G in my username stands for  3

If anyone else wanted to donate but cannot for any reason. Let me know.

racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes

although i don't have any money spare atm (see my new bike thread  9
i do have a roland microcube amp that i bought not long ago.i would be happy to sell it and forward you the money (as i don't really play it/won't be playing outside for a long time,due to my bad guitar skillz  20

the only problem is that i don't have a credit card (so would have to post you the money) my e mail address is adamibanezcunningham [at] hotmail.co.uk.

will try and sell it this week (there's a shop in devizes that buys 2nd hand stuff.

take it easy bud (you'll get that trike before you know it  3

notfastenough replied to racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes
racefaceec90 wrote:

although i don't have any money spare atm (see my new bike thread  9
i do have a roland microcube amp that i bought not long ago.i would be happy to sell it and forward you the money (as i don't really play it/won't be playing outside for a long time,due to my bad guitar skillz  20

the only problem is that i don't have a credit card (so would have to post you the money) my e mail address is adamibanezcunningham [at] hotmail.co.uk.

will try and sell it this week (there's a shop in devizes that buys 2nd hand stuff.

take it easy bud (you'll get that trike before you know it  3

What a great thing to do for someone, this fund might take a while but there's some cool things happening along the way!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yanto's retweet was 4th on my email!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thats impressive Simon, you must follow the "right" people.

My email contained

Timmy Duggan joins Saxo Bank
Glasgow to host 2013 National Road Race
Can you ride a bike? (parkinson's riders)
Gianni Meersman leaves Lotto-Belisol
Rodriguez Close To Katusha Contract

Than again, I might not get tweets about myself.

Been quite today as I've not been feeling like sitting at a computer.

Good call Notfastenough, Addison Lee  3

Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes

Good to see that in the weekly email I get from Twitter about stories and sites linked by users I follow, Gkam's page was ranked number one, ahead of anything to do with the Track World Cup, Team Sky, Lance Armstrong or indeed Arsenal stuffing Spurs.

0 likes

Blimey, where to start?!  4 Just trawl through some of the articles on here I suppose. Addison Lee?  19

Re the video, I haven't had chance to watch it yet. I tend to look at this site when I have a couple of minutes at work etc. I'll let you know once I've seen it.

Great news on the progress.

EDIT: I wish I had room for your fixie, but sadly not!

Pages

Latest Comments