Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

how do you motivate yourself to ride in rubbish weather?

i admit that i am a lightweight when it comes to riding in bad weather.can always make excuses (blame it on my depression why i don't go out in the rain/unfit/lazy e.t.c)

the annoying thing is that i will finally be getting my first proper road bike next week (a lovely specialized tarmac sport).

have wanted a road bike for a long time.

obviously next week's weather looks pretty dire all week in wiltshire  14

i really don't want to take my new bike out in the crap weather on it's first outing (i know  9

how do you deal with riding in bad weather/get motivated to ride?
i know it's a stupid question to ask,but i do suffer with depression and it really does put the dampeners on things  14 thanks in advance  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

49 comments

Steven_L replied to aende | 11 years ago
0 likes
aende wrote:

Motivation In:

I have to get to work to pay the mortgage

Motivation Out:

I want to get home to be with the kids

In other news, bad weather does not bother me, high wind is the only killer - drains energy.

+1: same applies.

Also Rule 5  3

racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes

thanks a lot for all the advice  4 i just won't be able to help myself when the bike turns up (i just want to start riding it  1

will post up some videos of it's first outing next week  3

i will firstly be walking (i know/it's just that the bus fare is so expensive/every spare penny will be going to pay off the bike) from devizes to melksham.then if i'm not dead  3 will try and do a ride that i have planned for it's first outing.

from melksham to lacock.up the steep hill to the main chippenham/devizes road.
cross over to calne.
turn right at the main road (as if going to beckhampton roundabout) but climb back up hill where north wilts golf course is).
cross over the main road at junction (devizes/beckhampton) and head to horton then to pewsey vale. (sorry for the long write up  9

continue onto marlbrough (stop and have a coffee).then return back to devizes via pewsey vale (by this point i will be feeling like this  31

i know it's a big ride for me (as i really am not very fit),but i really wanted to give my new bike a decent first outing (will really test my legs on the hills also  20
if you've read this far award yourself a piece of cake from me for reading all that  4

stuke replied to racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes
racefaceec90 wrote:

from melksham to lacock.up the steep hill to the main chippenham/devizes road.
cross over to calne.
turn right at the main road (as if going to beckhampton roundabout) but climb back up hill where north wilts golf course is).
cross over the main road at junction (devizes/beckhampton) and head to horton then to pewsey vale. (sorry for the long write up  9

continue onto marlbrough (stop and have a coffee).then return back to devizes via pewsey vale (by this point i will be feeling like this  31

thats a nice ride, I work in Devizes and use various parts of that route for testing the bikes and extending my commute home to Westbury.

If you see a roadcc jersey darting through the Devizes traffic be sure to wave  4

Edgeley | 11 years ago
0 likes

Great stuff above. More prosaically, you will get wet, but overshoes definitely make it less vile. Enjoy. The road in the wet is better than inside in the wet.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

I don't suffer from depression (I don't think) but I do have times when I'm almost inert, like a feeling that I just can't move to do anything. I've learnt that I have to apply real mental focus (actually learnt in martial arts classes) to do what I need to do (e.g. get ready) but then once I'm out, such feelings disappear.

When the weather looks grotty, I console myself with two things: if few(er) others are out training, then I'm catching them up fitness-wise, and that I get the chance to use the posh Rapha rain jacket that I got in a sale. Perhaps treat yourself to something fancy that makes the poor weather a positive?

The other thing is that I try to use familiar routes, but each one infrequently so that almost every ride I can secure a couple of personal records on Strava.

Good luck and stay positive.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Would agree with everything above especially Rule 9 and arrange to ride in a group; rides in poor weather are very memorable occasionally for the wrong reasons. I will never forget a ride in a group where we had a snowball fight whilst riding (we were able to reach down and gather snow) and finding myself riding down hill on sheet ice, there were gaps of dry tarmac but none wide enough to stop, so I was able to almost stop and then had to release the brake and pray. I got to what I thought was the end of the ice, found the 'wet' road was black ice and went down like a sack of spuds without a scratch! Mudguards are also a necessary evil. But where cycling and bad weather are concerned the rule that there is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothes is worth remembering. Was thinking this all the way round the 100 mile Exmoor Beast this year, I would have paid a lot of money for a pair of overshoes! It was bitter weather but I still finished  16

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Apparently, the excersise you get from regular cycling (whatever the weather) encourages you body to release some sort of 'happy hormones' - I always feel great after riding. I commute in all weathers and find (as eluded to above - the tube) I don't get the nasty bugs that inhabit trains, tubes and places where hundreds of people gather - a second class ride beats a first class train every time.

A close buddie was actually recommended to start cycling to reduce stress/anxiety which he suffered bad with, he was a different person a few weeks into riding to work. I find a great relief when I ride in the rain - some call me mad but I genuinely love it in the rain.

I do s***t myself (regularly) in the icy weather though.  13

Go for it but don't wreck your new (excellent) bike - good luck with it and get some decent kit to keep you dry (ish) and warm.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

Jasonnz1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

When you bike in the rubbish weather, it makes you realise how much funriding in great weather is.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

One other thing, treat your bike as another member of the family, so when you've thrashed it around, come home and give it a nice clean bath and dry it off thoroughly, it will love you back for longer that way.

Take care of it and you shall have a longer life with it.  4

bikecellar | 11 years ago
0 likes

externilise the distractions, weather, crap roads, life,s problems and focus on the ride and how good it is to be doing what you enjoy.

matt_fantastic | 11 years ago
0 likes

Even in the worst weather, my bike commute is better than being on the Tube...  16

mad_scot_rider replied to matt_fantastic | 11 years ago
0 likes
matt_fantastic wrote:

Even in the worst weather, my bike commute is better than being on the Tube...  16

Seconded - public transport from 'burbs into weegie-toon (AKA Glasgow to the southerners) is totally depressing and NOT how I choose to start my day

TheSpaniard | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rule 9.

That's a good feeling.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Team up with a mate.

Also:

Gennysis | 11 years ago
0 likes

After a couple of years of (almost) daily commuting in all weathers in west central Scotland I'd say that if you can persist enough for a couple of months it will just become habit, and the weather really won't bother you. Also I have noticed a big upturn in my mood since I made regular cycling the norm; things just don't bother me as much and I feel confident to take on what life throws at me.
Do it enough to make it habit and you will start to enjoy all the benefits. Mudguards aren't a bad idea too!

ALIHISGREAT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just relish the challenge

racefaceec90 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gkam84 am sorry to hear that.i hope that it doesn't get too bad (and good luck with beating depression/anxiety also.the fact that you ride your bike a lot will help you out i reckon.
what you say is true though,i have to follow your advice.tis only water (as peter gabriel sang once  3

ah stuff the weather,i will definitely be riding my new bike when it turns up (have been waiting for over 20 odd years to get a decent road bike).

good luck in getting better sir and thanks for the reply  1

paulfg42 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Commute in all weathers and just accept it as part of the bike experience but I won't go out riding for pleasure if it's chucking it down. And I definitely won't be getting my 'best' bike covered in mud, salt etc!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I suffer from severe depression, anxiety and recently had the body blow of being diagnosed with early onset parkinson's.

I still manage to get myself out in bad weather, snow, sleet, rain, wind....etc

I find it helps me get away from "normal" life, wind in my hair and forgot for a couple of hours how shit things are turning at home. FREEDOM.

You just have to wrap up warm and forget the weather, focus on the cycling  3

Pages

Latest Comments