Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Campag Chainring advice?

Hi Folks, looking to start modding the new bike and need a bit of advice regarding changing chainrings.

The groupset itself is Campag Veloce, but cranks, chainrings, chain & cassette are Miche Team Evo. It's set up for 50/34, but I'd like to switch out for 53/39 for more power. Questions are:
1. Which chainrings are compatible (it's 110BCD)?
2. Will I need to get a new chain also?
3. Would I be better getting a new cranks?

Thanks

(note: other mods like wheelsets will come, but I'll wait til Spring)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Steven_L | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the comments. I'll check the Miche compatibility.

Have been out for a few spins recently, and notice the 50/11 on descents definitely spinning out; I had a 52 on the last bike and always had some grunt left.

robert.brady | 11 years ago
0 likes

There are companies who do chainrings of that size based on a 110mm BCD so it is possible. But as above, unless you are spinning out a 50 - 11 gear, is it worth it?

Not sure about Miche cranks but Campag compact cranks need specific chainrings because one bolt hole is offset to 113mm BCD. May be worth checking before making a purchase.

Rob

bikecellar | 11 years ago
0 likes

You can't go to 53/39 with current chainset (compact) so new chainset required, but more power will come from faster cadence or higher torque a 50 chainring with a 12 or 11 sprocket should be sufficient for most, I know some guys who race on compacts!

mathewshotbolt | 11 years ago
0 likes

you'll need a new chain to achieve all gears should you end up in a big/big combo.

be careful with campag cranks, some rings are dished, some run larger bolt holes (only carbon iirc)

Latest Comments