Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Practical Winter Training

I've been telling myself over the summer that come winter I would actually do some proper training and now I can't hide from the fact that winter is here. Having got into TT'ing I really want to improve my fitness. I cycle plenty with an 50 minute each way commute and a Sunday club run however I've never done any structured training.

Is is possible to get in decent training while commuting or should I bite the bullet and get a turbo (which really doesn't appeal)?

I'm far from a scientific type and was therefore thinking of getting Graham Obree's book but even he seems to suggest a turbo is essential.

Therefore any practical training tips/plans,thoughts on the necessity of a turbo welcome.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Simon

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you've done the 4 minutes hard enough you might need more than 2 minutes in between to recover, but if you only have 2 minutes in between then ease back a bit try to treat it more as an 8 min effort, so not as hard.

Work out a structure you can do and do it at least twice a week. Keep searching for other possibilities too - variation is good and any effort level above 'just riding' will be productive. Winter isn't all about flogging yourself above 10 mile pace every day, even if you feel like doing it (I certainly don't!).

From the reviews I've read I think Obree talks about a lot more than using the turbo trainer so if you like his approach then try it and see what you can learn. It's not about copying someone's routine, it's really about making an idea work as best you can in your circumstances.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you could find a route that allows you to fit in some kind of intervals (e.g. 2x20mins at 25-mile pace or 4x4mins just above 10-mile pace) then don't bother fudging it, just use the miles as best you can.

TheHatter replied to Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Simon, that't the kind of thing I was thinking of. I can do something like 4 x4 minutes but does it have to be a consistent gap in between to be effective?
eg it may be 2 minute gap sometimes and a 10 minute gap the next.

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for the comments - I certainly have no fear of the rain; I even almost enjoy it. I just find it hard to do any kind of training plan with all the junctions, crazies etc that you get riding home and thought maybe I should succumb to a turbo.

sam_bennett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thumbs up for Sufferfest essentially the turbo is dull but they liven it up. Short intense efforts will really help, say 1hr of intervals & a sufferfest, spread liberally through the week & long rides on weekends really put me in good stead for my 1st season of racing.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yah Sufferfest.

Otherwise, just cycle further faster.

Turbo isn't really needed, unless you're the kind of person who doesn't go out when it rains.

ie: RULE #9

JediNeo | 11 years ago
0 likes

I always found indoor training to be the most boring thing I could do.  1
Recently been introduced to Sufferfest videos with seem to help keep the interest, as well as giving structured training. I quite highly recommend them

Latest Comments