Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Continental GP 4 Season Tyres - Anyone running these???

Hi All,
Hearing good things about Continental GP 4 Season tyres - about due to treat my (one of) commuter to a set of tyres and am looking for real world feedback on these 'Gems' as I have heard.

Does anyone use them on here and what are your experiences - grip, life and p*******e resistance would be a good place to start.

Got really woken up last week on my journey into work, didn't have a p*******e but my front wheel dragged a small branch up into the guard/tyre gap - that did wake me up for sure.  13 didn't see it between the rain, puddles, wind and mist going towards Long Ashton.

As always, most grateful for feedback.

Regards

Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi James-O,
Thanks for the feedback, I will keep an eye out for that.

I have about 300 miles on them now and through this 'hideous' weather I've had no problems (so far) and that has been on a lot of lanes that have been flooded and covered in hedge cuttings, twigs and branches.  13

I still have my Gatorskins if all gets out of hand though.

Here's hoping.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

james-o | 11 years ago
0 likes

To balance the other comments, I find they get small flint cut flats just as easily as std GP4000s where I ride. Gatorskins don't. They do ride well, better than Gators, but I use them as cheap winter tyres rather than for any real increase in flat resistance. On the 'real' winter bike, I use Gators.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi Spooks,
I bought mine from Bike Discount DE (Germany) ordered them on-line and they arrived two days later, cracking service and they were the cheapest on-line by far.
Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

Spooks replied to trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Smashin that's the site I was looking at, many thanks

Spooks | 11 years ago
0 likes

Where is the best ( read cheapest ) place to buy these, defo need to replace mine for the winter.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well, the 4 Seasons arrived today and I fitted them this evening - just got back from a road test.
They feel fine and I was genuinely suprised how light they are and they roll really well.

Thanks for the feedback - I will let you know how they get on but first impressions are that they appear excellent. I have GP4000s's on my 'normal' road bikes (as opposed to the hybrids) and these are comparable with ride quality for sure.

Hope I end up a satisfied 'convert' as all above.

Thanks gents.  41

Trikeman.  3

Hoopdriver | 11 years ago
0 likes

Been using them for four years now on my Pegoretti and I love them. They are the perfect all year, whatever the occasion tyre for a road bike. So far, never had a puncture...

spin cycle | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have been running a pair of gators for about 14 months (about 4500 miles) and only had 1 p*****re in that time, due to a massive shard of glass  14  20 . Have been thinking about getting some gp 4 seasons and now the decision has been made.

a_to_the_j | 11 years ago
0 likes

they are the best IMHO (as echo'd above)
if you want extra p.......re protection get the hardshell/gatorskins, great for any towpath, glass littered cycle paths,gravelly sections you might encounter on a commute.

keef66 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I specced 25mm GP 4 Seasons on my one and only all year round bike. Love the fact that they are tough but still grippy in the cold and wet. Got 3500 miles out of the rear before the council's misguided top-dressing attempts shredded what was left of the tread. Couple of punctures; one a thorn like a javelin and one a pinch flat courtesy of a pothole (due to my own laziness in not checking the tyre before a night ride)

Bought the same again (new tyre on front, old moved to the back)

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

WOW, a resounding YES on this one then!  41

Many thanks all - have ordered them for the commuter hybrid and I'll give them a blast.

Never seen such an overwhelming recommendation for a tyre.

Kind Regards, and Thanks again for the feedback.

Trikeman.  3

tc345 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Great tyres, good grip in the wet and dry, no punctures at all yet after 5000ish miles and still wearing well.

yarman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got a pair last autumn, excellent grip, feel and puncture resistance. I did rip a sidewall on the rear whilst touring last Nov, but it would have taken out any tyre!

Still running on the front wheel, no punctures. Feel and grip better than the gatorskin on the back.

daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

I run them on my road bike (all year round), with latex inner-tubes. Lovely smooth ride, low rolling resistance, and considering they're pretty much bomb-proof, they are relatively low weight. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've run them on my commuter for years and 10000s of miles in London and out in the country. They are excellent and very reliable. Bike-discount do them at a great price too.
Highly recommended.

Spud | 11 years ago
0 likes

After my first P******* on my road bike this year today, I am definitely ordering a pair!

nmgeddes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had them for just over a year (bought from wiggle tyre / tube combo deal) and think they are great. Not done that many miles but good grip both wet & dry with no real rolling resistance sacrifice. Recommended.

matt_fantastic | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had a set on my London commuter - replaced 2000 miles later: down to the threads, but not a single p...

Go get some...

Spud | 11 years ago
0 likes

No experience but likely to go for a set shortly. Heard great things and at the prices you can get them for form the Continent, worth a punt.

Latest Comments