Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pedals which ones and why

I don't have any problems with my current Shimano 105's but thinking I might look at using a different i.e. in terms of shape like the speedplay's etc.

So question is if I was looking to swicth whichs one and why?

Thanks in adavance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

antonio | 11 years ago
0 likes

I use Speedplay light action on a couple of my fixed gear bikes, they are the best I have used, no faff finding the pedal, quick click, quick fix.

sonicsol | 11 years ago
0 likes

Another Speedplay fan here! Never look down to find your pedal at traffic lights ever again!

Sam Alison | 11 years ago
0 likes

Big fan of campagnolo here!

ilovemytinbred | 11 years ago
0 likes

I find keos are great BUT cleats wear too quickly for my liking and I dont walk in them. I do a fair number of miles but nothing crazy. The pedals themselves are disposable. The metal plate on the keo max is just for looks as far as I can tell as you can not replace it and I wear straight through the damn thing. It is a shame as I find them comfy pedals.

teamrocket13 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for this guys

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am just a Shimano fan. Work well and last well.

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cannot go wrong with what your using at present; but I can see the attraction of Speed-Play Pedals, so quick to locate and lock in when leaving junctions and traffic lights after stopping. But they are expensive and the cleats need to be covered when not riding the bike or when walking, if not? they'll last no time at all.

Jack Osbourne snr | 11 years ago
0 likes

Depends on your requirements. Do you race at CAT 2 or better?

I don't, so I use Crank Bros. Candy pedals with mountain bike shoes on all my bikes. Being able to walk makes a big difference when commuting or audaxing and its perfectly possible to get a shoe/pedal combo that weighs the same as a comparable road setup. For speed events I have carbon soled shoes with the cleats mounted in the "fixed" position (still has some float, but needs a big twist to disengage) and other shoes with cleats in the quick release position for audaxing and commuting.

I was a LOOK user, but had to tweak setup every time I replaced cleats (which was fairly often), and I found walking even 10 feet unpleasant. Crank Bros cleats outlast LOOK x4 (for me) and require almost no attention to detail when positioning replacements. I wouldn't go back.

Markmod | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1 for speedplay pedals. Double sided loveliness. Stamp and your in. Serviceable... And solid engineering... great pedals!

Cleats last well, if you protect cleats with covers when walking and keep clean... lube regularly. Look after them and they last much better than plastic cleats.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

+1, people ask me how many pairs I've gone through, but still on my first.

That said, if your current setup isn't giving you hot feet/knee pain/something else, I'd spend the upgrade urge somewhere else and leave well alone.

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

dispute the speedplay cleats wearing out very quickly ...
mine are now over a year old and still going strong !!

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

As said, if it aint broke don't fix it, if you are not having any problems, then count yourself lucky.

You could always snatch a bargain from me though if you are looking to experiment with different settings on pedals. The most adjustable ones on the market

http://road.cc/content/forum/70053-fstrade-look-cx7-carbon-pedals

thereandbackagain | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you don't have any problems related to pedals & cleats count yourself lucky and stick with it.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shimano - Cleats last ages, easy serviceability, cheap

Look - Cleats last AGES, poor serviceability, mid price

Time - Cleats wear out quickly, OK serviceability, mid/high price

Speedplay - Cleats wear out VERY QUICKLY, Good serviceability, High/high price

Farky replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Shimano - Cleats last ages, easy serviceability, cheap

Look - Cleats last AGES, poor serviceability, mid price

Time - Cleats wear out quickly, OK serviceability, mid/high price

Speedplay - Cleats wear out VERY QUICKLY, Good serviceability, High/high price

DISAGREE:
Speedplay - Cleats last longer than plastic ones, require minimal but regular maintenance (lubing), Premium price.

I used shimano and Look Keo in the past and hated the plastic cleats constantly wearing out from walking in them, main issue being the pedals actually loosing performance due to this wear. On the plus side they where always cheap, sometimes a pedal set is better than cleats on their own for value for money.

Bought Speedplays cuz I wanted to try the double sided approach and they sounded technically better. They are; cleats dont wear out in a way that affects performance in any way whatsoever. The outers of the metal 'cleat' wear out through walking and I dont cover mine with the cafe covers, its a soft metal so I can see why its worth protecting them and your floor.
Performance does not suffer in any way from this wear and tear. Thats my priority.
They also offer a much more stable and supporting surface IMHO. Maintenance is spraying with lube weekly and cleaning out grit if you walk in them a lot.
1 year on and they the next best purchase ive made to my lightweight wheels.
Ya pays your money etc etc

Latest Comments