Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Tyres? Anyone using Them?

Bought a set of Mavic Ksyriun Elite S Wheels, they came with Mavic Tyres 700 x 23, they look the business; and compliment the wheels. I had a look at a couple of reviews, the write-ups were favourable, although, some did mention they were not as good in wet conditions.

Anyone ride on Mavic Tyres? or have any knowledge of them?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

Bendee | 8 years ago
0 likes

I had a set come on my cosmic sle's didn't find them too bad but kind of felt they didn't roll too well especially compared to my dads schwable ones so I ditched them for a set of the ones.
I probably never gave them a chance tbh but I'm trying to go as quick as I can all the time so wanted better kit to help me do that.

Batchy | 8 years ago
0 likes

I found that my tyres that came with my new Mavic wheels were fine for 500 miles then the side wall split in the front one. Back to my Lithion 2s, 1500miles so far wet or dry, loads of wear left, very sure footed , roll well, £28 per pair !

Richard D | 8 years ago
0 likes

I now have a smashed femur. Went over a drain cover in the wet. The surgeon says that I can go nowhere near my bike for six months, but the first thing I will do when I can is lever off those 8-week old Yksion tyres for my usual tyres, Gatorskins.

Batchy replied to Richard D | 8 years ago
0 likes
Richard D wrote:

I now have a smashed femur. Went over a drain cover in the wet. The surgeon says that I can go nowhere near my bike for six months, but the first thing I will do when I can is lever off those 8-week old Yksion tyres for my usual tyres, Gatorskins.

Speaking from experience, you may be able to to do easy half hour turbo sessions after about 14 weeks. Walking is the best therapy once you are weight bearing !

DanTe | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes lethal in the wet, found them particularly iffy over drain covers and the like.
I found them a bit of a nightmare.
Punctured twice on the first ride on dry Essex backroads mid summer, the second time badly.
Gave them to my brother who killed them on his fixed In weeks.
Did seem quite quick though, would never consider buying another pair..

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

May hold on to them ? After all they are new tyres, Couldn't buy them new for £25. And they'll come as spare tyres for the Summer.

Lots of conflicting views about them?

mtm_01 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure what you were guys were doing in the wet...Gatorskins are far worse for wet grip than the Yksions are.

Think I had 1 puncture for about 1500miles of riding in each tyre and sods law they came within a day of each other and then nothing more.

ajmarshal1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Some interesting polar opposite opinions here, (as ever). I found them to be ok, and far less 'lethal in the wet' than gatorskins. Rode many a rain and mud slick road on them and the only time they gave me traction issues was when out of the saddle on punchy climbs.

hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes

not good tire, at all

small volume for advertised size, and lethal in wet weather

speaking from experience here...got given a set for free by a customer, nothing positive to report, soon removed and replaced with S-Works Turbos, at my cost

thefuggler | 10 years ago
0 likes

I used them through winter and spring with no issues. I really liked them - I didn't notice any issues in the wet, but I'm not exactly a pro...

Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Took them off my Ksyrium Elite S Wheels when they arrived with tyres fitted! I always use the 4000s tyres.

There's a pair here for someone £25, if your prepared to collect them in South Wales (Cardiff north) Mavic tyres do look very nice though.

welsh wizard replied to Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Still got tyres?

Mostyn replied to welsh wizard | 10 years ago
0 likes
welsh wizard wrote:

Still got tyres?

Yes, still have them. Did you want them?

welsh wizard replied to Mostyn | 10 years ago
0 likes

brand new? how much ? where are you in N Cardiff?

Mostyn replied to welsh wizard | 10 years ago
0 likes
welsh wizard wrote:

brand new? how much ? where are you in N Cardiff?

Merthyr Tydfil. £25.00 for the pair, collected or meet-up near by. They are as new, taken off Mavic Ksyrium Elite S Wheels - they are the latest Mavic tyres, specific front and rear tyres.

Jimmy Ray Will | 10 years ago
0 likes

From guys riding on teams sponsored by Mavic, the feedback has not been that great... as mentioned already, wet grip can be challenging... I'd hope they may have sorted that by now though.

kiwiglider | 10 years ago
0 likes

Any updates on these tyres? Just got some Askiums with them fitted. Recommended for summer or winter?

Shep73 replied to kiwiglider | 10 years ago
0 likes
kiwiglider wrote:

Any updates on these tyres? Just got some Askiums with them fitted. Recommended for summer or winter?

They the Aksion tyres? ok in the dry but a little slippery in the wet, and as for getting out the saddle to power up hills in the damp, forget it as they spin out easily.

aende | 11 years ago
0 likes

*Newbie*

Yes, I picked up 2 x Mavic Aksion 700 x 23 folding tyres in a bargain bin for £8 each.

Not so great in the wet, a bit slippery compared to the GP4000 or Gatroskin I normally opt for.

But, they seem to be fairly puncture resistant and durable.

Happy with using them - I do about 120 miles a week on them at the moment in all weathers.

**I will now, of course, have a bloody puncture on the way home....

Squiggle | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hey yeah I've got the slick version (Yksion) on my Kysrium SLR/ R-Sys combo and think they are great. As marcelocatalan says they wear fast but I guess that's to be expected from a race tyre.

I did a wet and windy race at the end of the summer where I used a mavic up front and a Vittoria Corsa Evo tub on the back. It may have been the pressure (150psi rear/ 110 front) but the back end was all over the place even in a straight line. The front Mavic even without a tread stayed absolutely solid.

marcelocatalan | 11 years ago
0 likes

They also came with my K10 Wheels. The 2011 ones. Had no problem with them. The rear tire, did not last more than 1500 kms. Overall grip is ok too. Not too much experience with them in wet conditions. Note that the 2011 Mavic Tires do not have any type of thread. They are just plain tires. I heard they are actually VICTORIA tires. Anyone can confirm on that?
Also, does anyone has any info on the Yksion Powerlink and Griplink models?!?!

Windy54 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I have them on my cosmics, I have next years that have a small tread on them! I find them as good as any others I have used if not better!! The wet conditions are no problem for them! They seem better if anything!

Mostyn replied to Windy54 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Windy54 wrote:

I have them on my cosmics, I have next years that have a small tread on them! I find them as good as any others I have used if not better!! The wet conditions are no problem for them! They seem better if anything!

Yes the 2013 tyres with a small tread, they look very nice; and are a lightweight tyre. I'll try them out next year (Summer)

Latest Comments