Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Typical "cyclist"

I was amused (and simultaneously horrified of course) by this story...
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Hunt-cyclist-kitten-thrown-River-Wit...

It seems cyclist don't just run red lights and pay no "road tax" but they drown kittens as well. Do you notice that there is no mention of the persons age, sex, race, build etc. It is simply enough to describe them as "cyclist". Surely cyclists are people too, just like car drivers and pedestrians. Don't you think there is too much labelling of people that generates a general "us and them" feeling?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

The story is over a year old  39
Maybe they just strung a couple of cyclists up to make a point and left it at that; that will teach them  19

The _Kaner | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well I took the bait and had to reply...Anarchy ROOLZ...
'Should the article not read 'a person seen riding a bike'...there is a marked difference between a 'cyclist' and a person using a bicycle to transport a bag containing a cat for disposal?????
Had it been someone driving a car would the report have stipulated that a 'car enthusiast', 'motorist'...etc was seen or indeed if someone on foot had perpetrated this heinous act would they have been called a 'walker', 'rambler' or 'pedestrian'...no, they most likely would have just been identified as a 'person'

...the fact that it was a bike ...and that was emphasised on more than one occasion...leads me to believe that the article is intended to ruffle the feathers of a public that (somewhat unfoundedly) has already got 'an itchy scab' mentality when it comes to blaming 'cyclists for all that is wrong in the world'

...at least the cat was OK...any indication as to what kind of 'passer-by' it was...maybe he/she was a 'road tax' paying member of the public...I'm sure the readers would like to know...

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think you'll find that "This is" news websites are part of the daily mail group.

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/aboutus.html

Best left alone IMO.

pants | 10 years ago
0 likes

As a drowner of kittens I am greatly offended by this.

Actium | 11 years ago
0 likes

Indeed Craig, but I think the fact the guy was a guy and not a gal might have been a more useful label  1

Mostyn replied to Actium | 11 years ago
0 likes
Actium wrote:

Indeed Craig, but I think the fact the guy was a guy and not a gal might have been a more useful label  1

That would hit the News; Gal on bicycle with bag of kittens prepared for the Lake! The question everyone would ask; is? Has the Broom-stick been replaced by a bicycle in wichcraft transport?

CraigS | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you're appealing for information, the fact the guy was on a bike is relevant though. I think "cyclist" is just a statement of fact in this case, not meant with any negative connotations.

colhum1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps the passer-by was a cyclist  1

Actium | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, the article itself wasn't really the point. It is indicative of a tribal labelling of "cyclist", "motorist" that seems to infect many articles and discussions that could be seen as divisive and ultimately unhelpful.

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Tagged, Bagged and caught in the act cyclist. Seems to be a something and nothing article. Best ignored.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

What a poorly written piece.

Annoys me as both a cyclist and cat owner.

Latest Comments