Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New magazine

Hi

I spotted a magazine while passing through Smiths today - called Cyclist. Said it was aimed at road biking. Unfortunately time was against me so no chance to flick through it or indeed make a snap purchase (the queue was HUGE!)

Just wondered if anyone had given it a go?

How new is it?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bumpty bump.

Anyone?

Especially given another 2 weeks minimum off the bike.

0 likes

Btw I just contacted the mag to see if I could get issues 1 and 2 as back issues but they aren't available atm.

So if any of you were going to chuck them out please let me know. I can send an SAE, etc.

Thanks.

0 likes

Thanks guys.

Sounds good. I don't race but follow pro racing yet want more than previews or reviews of races.

I don't do sportive rides. I mainly ride alone for fun but like decent kit and have interest in the fitness, nutrition and bike fit for eg.

Could this be the Singletrack for the roadie in me that I am looking for.

Here is hoping....

lbuch | 11 years ago
0 likes

Read the first three issues - ok and quite informative for beginners but really the same old stuff. Very superficial with no depth. Best bit has been the ride sections ie. Norway, Gerona etc

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd say its mainly for people who race, but do the occasional sportive.

stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes

I subscribed to cyclist after reading the first one.

In my view an excellent magazine.

Super Domestique replied to stepho | 11 years ago
0 likes
stepho wrote:

I subscribed to cyclist after reading the first one.

In my view an excellent magazine.

Cool.
Given that you have read a few issues so to speak, what type of rider would you say its aimed at?

I have read 2 articles in issue 3 and have given the sub at 3 issues for a fiver a go.

I hope it meets what I am looking for as I just cancelled my Procycling sub this week too.

stepho replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

I would say it is aimed at anyone who loves riding a bike. Every week they do a different ride and the pictures/ reportage on the ride are first class.
There are some gear reviews but not page after page.

It has a real quality feel to it right down to the paper its printed on.

If you want interesting well written articles without the condescending bollocks and excellent photography then this is the mag for you

Hope this helps

teamrocket13 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I saw this morning but did not pick it up might pop back into Smiths myself and pick up a copy

Cervelo12 | 11 years ago
0 likes

You can't please everyone and i don't think they are trying too, it has a rouleur feel but with lighter more product orientated features. I haven't read cw or cycling plus in years as they just keep telling me how to ride a 100 miles, what to eat for breakfast and how to keep my feet warm. I think the Cyclist will be a success. Good luck to them.

0 likes

While waiting for the car to be serviced (as I type) I popped in to a shop and grabbed issue 3.

I will see how it goes. Seeing the 'great' John Stevenson (great in my mind anyway, from those legendary early mbuk days) is in there added weight.

James Warrener | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not seen mine yet...

Kingrolo | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've quite liked the first 2 issues. I paid the fiver for 3 issues which I partly viewed as giving them some money to get the mag more together in the hope that it would survive. Lots of nice photos, good balance between rides, pro racing and kit and the articles seem to be long enough to be full of information but not so long I need a break half way through. I got a box of powergels through the post last week too which were included in the £5 offer and I had completely forgotten about.

mike the bike | 11 years ago
0 likes

My lady returned from the supermarket with a copy of Cyclist; it was a little treat for her favourite man. But I got there first and, in truth, it isn't half bad.

The articles are long enough to be revealing and short enough to read at breakfast. The photos are great quality, if a little heavy on the arty, B&W kind. The advert's are, well missing actually. But I guess they will multiply rapidly if the mag' is a success.

Would I pay a nice, round fiver for one? Probably not, but when you already take The Comic and C+ you have to be careful not to overdose.

KiwiMike | 11 years ago
0 likes

Being very new to cycling mags and therefore not tainted by previous efforts/stereotypes ( never done a sportive, might be interested tho) I found it a bloody good read. Long articles, inspiring photos, good balance between geek and chic. Thanks to issue 2 I now want to do the following:

Ride the Norway coast road
Ride in Belgium
Try eating less pasta before big rides
Swap my 11T for a 12
Get some better lights, paying more attention to spread and heat, less to headline Lumens
Get Ricky Feather to build me a bike (joins very long queue)
Ride on a pro tour bus (not that likely, but could put a name on my cup holder in Le Espace)

It might not be for everyone, but in 15 minutes trawling the entire cycling offering at a major mag store, it stood out as different, pretty, and not needing an insiders knowledge either. More please.

0 likes

My dad reads C+ but I find it to sportive heavy really. I liked the bike buyer bit at the back but they seem to have cut that back.

I get Procycling as I like the Marcel Wust bike tests and the bling kit reviews.

Still feel I am 'between' both mags though so wonder if this new one might fit the bill.

stuke | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've quite enjoyed the first two issues as well, I think they're still doing a three issues for a fiver so its worth a try to see if you like it.

I tried Roleur but just found it boring and to heavy going for the small amount of time I have to sit down and flick through a mag. The likes of C+ and CW just keep putting out the same stuff year in, year out and I think Cyclist seems to hit the middle ground for me.

The interview with Ricky Feather was a good 'un

0 likes

So are we saying aimed at the sportive set or just very good quality stuff without going racing?

I don't race or do sportives but have what I would consider a nice bike. I ride for fun / to clear my head but ride hard (for me, I am not saying I am fast) etc.

Just wondering if that makes me target audience or far from it.

jill1morton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wasn't overly impressed with it. Pictures are great and magazine is definitely printed on quality paper, but content not great.

You can get 3 issues for £3 with British cycling membership,£5 without, so a cheap way to try it. I'm cancelling the subscription after intro offer!

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Going to have to buck the mini-trend here and say that I've enjoyed the first two issues.

I sent an email querying something in the mag, and although they don't seem to have a letters or Q&A page yet, someone bothered to make a personal reply instead.

The look and feel is a bit like Wired, high quality images, long(ish) articles and it's nice to sit down with rather than just grab 10 minutes a la CW.

Gkam's right that it's trying to be different to the others - give it a go.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

In every issue you can enjoy:
The most exhilarating cycle routes and sportives in the world – their history, when to go and how to get the best from your trip.
The most in-depth road bike reviews and must-have gear.
Expert opinion on components, training, nutrition and technology.
The stories behind the biggest brand names and most influential people in cycling.

Here is a sample issue.......

http://cyclistmag.co.uk/view-an-issue/

The only thing i've liked about it so far, it can be had digitally, which means, it can be found for free online  19

thereandbackagain | 11 years ago
0 likes

I picked up a free copy at the Rapha Supercross. It's not great, falling between a number of niches that are covered by existing mags and websites.

It's brand new.

Latest Comments