Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Wheel upgrade choice

Morning all,
I'm shopping around for some nice wheels for christmas. I've narrowed it down to:

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe in white (look great)
Quest Keswick in black (bit lighter than the Mavics, these are a re-badge of Pro-Lite Braccianos since Pro-Lites don't seem to be that easy to get hold of but Quest are in the UK and advertising the Keswicks in CW)
Handbuild - I live near Will's Wheels in Stockport, I don't know what they will do for the £260-ish that the other choices cost.

Thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

KirinChris | 11 years ago
0 likes

Handbuild, no question.

It will always be better (assuming a reasonable level of competency of course).

Go and tell them your budget and see what they can do.

Also what do you want the wheels for, what bike do you ride, your weight - I don't see how anyone can even offer an opinion without knowing some basic facts.

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Michelin, Schwalbe, Tri Comp, Red bar tape requires : Red stripe tyres, Depending on bike colour scheme.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well after nipping into a LBS today, I've ended up with a pair of one-ride-old white ksyrium equipes that were going for £200 with warranty. So, now I need to decide what accompany them with. I'm thinking of tyres colour-co-ordinated with bar tape. So, red's a bit obvious. Current thinking is either:

Yellow
Celeste green
Blue
Pink

Suggestions? (both for colour and products which provide those colours)

By the way, the bike is black with black group and finishing kit, and white transfers.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

Campagnolo Zondas. Bullet proof, quick and light.
Under £300 at Ribble or bike-discount.de
Excellent all rounders.

therevokid | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had the silver braccianos on a white planet-x nanolight
and yes very retro looking - I liked it a lot  1
Good wheels but need a little extra when nipping up the
cassette to limit freehub scaring !

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

@mostyn - nice deal, but I can't make the jump to the elites, equipes is about the limit.

@hatter, I note the black ones are still £300 - how do the silver ones look? I can't help thinking it will look retro, and a bit odd on a carbon frame?

TheHatter | 11 years ago
0 likes

CRC have got the Bracciano's for £239 which is a steal - I have the 2011 version and they've been great.

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just bought myself the 2013, Mavic Ksyrium Elite S, Wheelset, they come with Mavic Tyres; and they're 30, grams lighter in weight than the 2012, Elites. I'm extremely pleased with them. Had a cracking deal with my LBS, put a new Ultegra 11/28, cassette on the wheels, also came from LBS, as a good deal.

Latest Comments