Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Changing Cassettes

looking at getting a turbo trainer, and thinking about a spare wheel to interchange rather than having to swap tyres.

I currently have a 11-25 on the rear, and am looking at going to 11-30 for the road (to give my knees more assistance) and keep the 11-25 for the turbo wheel.

will i be able to keep the set up the same, or will I need to adjust the chain length and cable tensions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Mostyn | 11 years ago
0 likes

May I suggest you go for a 11/28 cassette? two teeth less than a 30, but you would probably get away with using the same chain you now have for your 25, tooth cassette; and your deraluer would cope perfectly with a 28, tooth sprocket.

FMOAB | 11 years ago
0 likes

Depends on the mech. If it doesn't have the capacity, you may find that you jockey wheels ride on the cassette. You can adjust it a little with the adjustment screw that rests on the rear dropout, but I would go with the manufacturers spec. Shimano tech manuals are easily found online - don't know about the others.

Oh and I would be astonished if you didn't need a longer chain, so make sure you factor that in to your costs.

kevarino | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty sure the largest shimano short cage rear mechs can take is a 28t, it will depend what you have and check it on the manufacturers technical section.

robert.brady | 11 years ago
0 likes

Your chain probably could do with a few more links but as long as you avoid the big-big crossover gears you could get away without them.

I think the most likely problem you may encounter is whether or not your rear mech can handle a 30t sprocket.

Rob

thereandbackagain | 11 years ago
0 likes

You may find that the current chain is too short. If you go up to a 30 then the derailleur may be pulled too far forward if you went for a big at the front, big at the back combo.

You may need to get a new chain and leave more links in it. After fitting the new cassette see how the derailleur hangs with regard to the reference installation instructions.

Latest Comments