Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Hand built wheel question please.

Im a mountainbiker of 20 odd years and im building my first ever road bike through this winter.

Im looking for advice on spoke count for my wheels.I have decided on Chris King R45 hubs but currently undecided on rims (happy to take advice here too).

Obviously looking for a stiff and reasonably light build.Im wondering if i could get away with 28 spokes or to stick with 32.I weigh 13.5 stone.

Many thanks for any replies.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

one_bad_mofo | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bear in mind that the spoke count will also have an effect on the lacing pattern you should 'ideally' be using. While a 32-spoke count will happily lace up 3x for a 28 you'd be better off going to 2x.

Just something to consider, like.  39

witty.name | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the comments,its helped me make my mind up i think.Gona go 32 rear,28 front on a velocity A23 rim.

ilovemytinbred | 11 years ago
0 likes

With King hubs you want a nice rim, (and cx-ray spokes)The Abrosio rim looks great, how about something like the H plus Son Archetype or the velocity A23??

I never have a problem with 28 spoke wheels- I am about a stone and a half lighter than you though so I am unsure. Ask the bike shop where you are buying the bits/getting the wheels built, they should have a lot of experience.

mr-andrew | 11 years ago
0 likes

I weigh a similar amount to you, and I have destroyed some lower spoke count wheels. Not sure what your weight saving on 4 spokes is, but it may be worth a few grams. Mavic CXP33 rims have proven to be amazingly robust in 32 spoke form. As have the Mavic Open Pro rims. Can't speak for them at lower spoke counts.

jamjam | 11 years ago
0 likes

mavic open pro rims are the benchmark for handbuilt rims. but if you get them make sure you get 32 spokes on the rear because i exploded my 28 spoke rear doing hurdles on my cross bike  2

big mick | 11 years ago
0 likes

Factory built Mavic stuff is both light and strong.I'm 16 stone5 and have no problems

Jimmy Ray Will | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hi there.
Do both... Run a 28hole front wheel and a 32 rear. The rear needs a few more spoke than the front typically.
As for rims, I'm a bit of a stuck record, but would suggest the Ambrosio Excellight.
You can save a load of weight on spoke choice as well. Dt revolution is fine on the front, and the rear you could use DT supercomp on the non drive side. Will save you around 75grams compared to standard double butted spokes.

Latest Comments