Sram/Shimano shifting

by greenrock   October 26, 2012  

I'm putting together a city commuter and want to know if I can run a 9 speed Dura Ace or Ultegra rear dérailleur with a SRAM X0 or X9 trigger shifter.

Has anyone had any experience with running SRAM shifters with Shimano derailleur's before?

6 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

no.

the pull ratio is different

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7312 posts]
26th October 2012 - 7:40

like this
Like (2)

i've run DA index levers with SRAM rear mech and the pull ratio is indeed slightly out, even on friction setting Could only access 9 of the 10 gears.

strange but true.

posted by pj [139 posts]
26th October 2012 - 9:11

like this
Like (2)

pj wrote:
i've run DA index levers with SRAM rear mech and the pull ratio is indeed slightly out, even on friction setting Could only access 9 of the 10 gears.

strange but true.

Interestingly, that suggests the DA shifters pull less cable than the SRAM ones. On friction setting, then, you should be able to run a SRAM lever with a shimano mech (provided the mech limit screws are set to stop the shifters dragging the mech too far)?

As said above, wouldn't work with indexed shifters, of course (like the ones the OP suggested above).

posted by step-hent [671 posts]
26th October 2012 - 9:21

like this
Like (2)

does a SRAM lever have a friction setting?

me theory was that friction worked with everything. i was disproved slightly.

posted by pj [139 posts]
26th October 2012 - 10:01

like this
Like (3)

pj wrote:
me theory was that friction worked with everything. i was disproved slightly.

a shimano shifter won't pull enough cable to move a sram exact actuation mech through its whole range

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7312 posts]
26th October 2012 - 10:06

like this
Like (2)

that was my precise conclusion at the time. it was facilitated by the friendly Matt at Strada.

posted by pj [139 posts]
26th October 2012 - 12:48

like this
Like (3)