Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sram/Shimano shifting

I'm putting together a city commuter and want to know if I can run a 9 speed Dura Ace or Ultegra rear dérailleur with a SRAM X0 or X9 trigger shifter.

Has anyone had any experience with running SRAM shifters with Shimano derailleur's before?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

pj | 11 years ago
0 likes

that was my precise conclusion at the time. it was facilitated by the friendly Matt at Strada.

pj | 11 years ago
0 likes

does a SRAM lever have a friction setting?

me theory was that friction worked with everything. i was disproved slightly.

dave atkinson replied to pj | 11 years ago
0 likes
pj wrote:

me theory was that friction worked with everything. i was disproved slightly.

a shimano shifter won't pull enough cable to move a sram exact actuation mech through its whole range

pj | 11 years ago
0 likes

i've run DA index levers with SRAM rear mech and the pull ratio is indeed slightly out, even on friction setting Could only access 9 of the 10 gears.

strange but true.

step-hent replied to pj | 11 years ago
0 likes
pj wrote:

i've run DA index levers with SRAM rear mech and the pull ratio is indeed slightly out, even on friction setting Could only access 9 of the 10 gears.

strange but true.

Interestingly, that suggests the DA shifters pull less cable than the SRAM ones. On friction setting, then, you should be able to run a SRAM lever with a shimano mech (provided the mech limit screws are set to stop the shifters dragging the mech too far)?

As said above, wouldn't work with indexed shifters, of course (like the ones the OP suggested above).

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

no.

the pull ratio is different

Latest Comments