Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic R-Sys 2013....are they joking?!?!

Anyone else seen next years top R-Sys? RRP is now £1600 for an alloy clincher!!! Yes, they have lightened it again but come on, you can get Zipp 202 tubbies for that and not much more for Firecrest clinchers. I was considering these but not at this price although 2012 version shoud soon be heavily discounted in theory.

Maybe they have increased the price to cover what they paid out on the recall on the original R-Sys wheels from a few years back!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Hopalongsteve | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes, i dont think Madison were happy about Wiggle selling them as they were undercutting them drastically although you didnt get a proper lifetime warranty from Wiggle, only 3 years. Still, good news for me as it drove the price down and i would not have bought one otherwise.

Mind you, does make you think they are cutting their nose off as anyone who was thinking of waiting until next year will buy these frames because as you say, same except paint job!!! Could kill next years sales big time!!!

I am not good enough to need one but can justify it as i will use it when working so it will get 5000 miles + a year even if i just use it though April to August. Seemed too good a bargain to miss out on...only trouble is that everyone will be riding one now!!!

0 likes

Got one of my old bike but not wont be building new one up until i get to Italy in Spring....even more to look forward to then!!!  4

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

You are awful...  4

Photos?

0 likes

Got it from TriUk. They were very helpful. Dealt with Steve, Claire and Luke. They actually price matched Wiggle over 2 weeks ago before all the other dealers started advertising the reduced price. Got bars (3t carbon stealth black) from PBK at 25% off.

I have ridden a Soloist SLC-SL for the last 5 years (predecessor to the S3) and have nothing but praise for that. This new one may not be aero but its lighter and stiffer so should climb even better!!!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Did you get the 1/2 price one from Slane?

Awww Yeahhh

0 likes

With you on the reduced stuff!! Its good to support the local shop and all that but i cannot afford their prices when i can get the same product substantiaaly cheaper at the click of a mouse. In the last week i digged into savings to treat myself to a Cervelo R5 VWD frameset as it was half price and a set of 3t carbon bars at 25% off on PBK. Its a lot of money but i use it when i am working so it gets plenty of miles to justify the treat!!

Just seems the Mavics do not represent value for money compared with other brands. Must be paying Garmin Sharp too much in sponsorship and Joe Public is footing the bill!!!

I will buy the groupset and wheels in Italy next year through my employer there where i get a VERY good price.

ilovemytinbred | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was flicking through a cycling mag from 2008 the other day. It makes you realise just how much things have gone up in a relatively small time. I guess while cycling is becoming more popular and a lot of customers have a lot of disposable income they will pass all the cost increases directly to the customer, and in addition as long as there is a market for the ultra high end the companies meet the demand. I have kind reached my limit and have massively reduced my spending on bike stuff andhunt around for reduced stuff. I guess its what happens when the government turns on the printing press.

Simon E replied to ilovemytinbred | 11 years ago
0 likes
ilovemytinbred wrote:

I was flicking through a cycling mag from 2008 the other day. It makes you realise just how much things have gone up in a relatively small time.

Raw materials and transport costs have both risen sharply since 2008, which would account for a substantial part of the increase in prices.

I've always been a cheapskate, mainly through necessity, but I have no problem with people spending money on expensive bikes and whatever other gear they like... though I do wonder what £1,600 wheels do that £600 wheels can't (and even £600 seems a lot of money for hoops).

Regarding the bargain 2012 Cervelo R5s, these two comments are is from Bikeradar's forum:

"There was a delayed production run on the frames which meant that there was an excess of 2012 frames produced late in the year. Clearly they would struggle to shift them as most people would hold off for 2013 frames.

These are a absolute bargain as they are exactly the same (apart from the paint job) as the 2013 frames."

"The story I got was that the UK distributor (Madison) had bought up all remaining 2012 stock and were selling it off cheap to undermine companies that were grey market importing (like Wiggle)."

0 likes

Thanks though, good price but i am vain and like the all black version!!!  3

0 likes

Yeah but i am talking about the ones with the black exalith braking surface like below:

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/road-triathlon/wheels/R-Sys-SLR

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The 2009 recall? When the wheel's were prone to self combustions like this

http://www.pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-001/FAIL-105.html

The 2012 can be had for £800  3

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=81873

Latest Comments