Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New wrist band for clean riders

I need some help!
For years I've worn a LIVESTRONG wristband (and even now I've still got it on) but I want to change it for something that shows I wholehearted support the idea of riding clean. So I need a new, specially designed wristband.
I've had the idea that it could be graphite grey (for the colour of the road) with a white stripe running through it's centre (like the solid white line on the road).
The graphite grey would symbolise the sport that Armstrong's behaviour has besmirched while the white strip would stand for the purity we must all hope can be achieved.
Does anybody else like this idea?
And can anybody help get it off the ground?
Let's hear from you .......

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

'Anyway, kind of weird/awkward that my LIVEstrong band broke around the time Armstrong was convicted. Did that happen to anyone else?'

No, I ditched mine when I found out more about the 'charity'.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Seems a bit weird having to wear a wristband to say you support drug-free sport. Surely that's a given?
I'm going to wear one which says "I support cyclists riding bicycles".

Mombee | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just trying to find out who's behind the Bike Pure organisation... A friend suggests that it's the UCI... Is that right, as that would change the glossy perception that the site portays??

nellybuck@msn.com replied to Mombee | 11 years ago
0 likes
Mombee wrote:

Just trying to find out who's behind the Bike Pure organisation... A friend suggests that it's the UCI... Is that right, as that would change the glossy perception that the site portays??

Bike Pure was founded by Myles McCorry and Andy Layhe according to the 'What is Bike Pure?' section of their website, and is an independent organisation. I've not heard any other suggestion otherwise, would be interested in what your friend means by the UCI being 'behind it'.

Peter_Mould | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm perhaps instead of wearing wristbands showing your support for drug free sports, you could put in the money and effort into educating others against cheating in sports, or investing in other organisations that are already committed to this cause. I find those wristbands quite tacky, and don’t change much. I mean, Lance Armstrong himself made the Livestrong wristbands popular, so that says a lot. I’ve recently gotten myself into cycling after my BMW had to be returned for faulty swirl flaps, and I’m feeling more interested in cycling events now.

Super Domestique replied to Peter_Mould | 11 years ago
0 likes
Peter_Mould wrote:

Hmm perhaps instead of wearing wristbands showing your support for drug free sports, you could put in the money and effort into educating others against cheating in sports, or investing in other organisations that are already committed to this cause. I find those wristbands quite tacky, and don’t change much. I mean, Lance Armstrong himself made the Livestrong wristbands popular, so that says a lot. I’ve recently gotten myself into cycling after my BMW had to be returned for faulty swirl flaps, and I’m feeling more interested in cycling events now.

Dragging this slightly OT (I am bit of a BMW fan) which model diesel you have?
Back on topic. Must say seeing livestrong bands on riders in the tour down under didn't sit right with me.

Super Domestique replied to Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
Peter_Mould wrote:

Dragging this slightly OT (I am bit of a BMW fan) which model diesel you have?
Back on topic. Must say seeing livestrong bands on riders in the tour down under didn't sit right with me.

OK, today I am reading the site on my laptop and see the link in the sig. (last night I was on the mobile site) I really hope I am wrong but something doesn't add up. Swirl flaps - yet what does your company do?

Giving huge amounts of benefit of the doubt, that it wasn't just an advertising stunt, what are you riding Peter?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

True, there's no follow up there, perhaps they should have made them out of something that breaks over time. Something like Armstrong's reputation.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I've got a COPS wristband, I wear it with pride for what it stands for, nothing to do with giving to charity.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yeah I know the money went to charity. Which was a great thing in 2004, but 8 years later, your couple of quid means nothing if you haven't donated again  3

If you have a Livestrong band, just score out the V  24

Joselito | 11 years ago
0 likes

A mate was responsible for some road safety campaigns in the North West in the mid 2000s.

http://www.nrsi.org.uk/nrsi/index2edb.html?SectionID=2&cr221;SubSectionI...

He came up with wristbands saying 'I believe in little green men', I still wear mine and shake it furiously at RLJers.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Never had a livestrong band, I never really got the "I support some by wearing a band" Better to just raise money or donate, rather than wearing something like that  105

drheaton replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Never had a livestrong band, I never really got the "I support some by wearing a band" Better to just raise money or donate, rather than wearing something like that  105

The money from them went to charity and all that. It was effectively mass scale small transactions except you got a piece of rubber in return.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

NB, they are free

forzagaribaldi | 11 years ago
0 likes

Erm, don't feel the need to wear a shitty bit of plastic on your wrist? Use the money for something more worthwhile.

andylul replied to forzagaribaldi | 11 years ago
0 likes
forzagaribaldi wrote:

Erm, don't feel the need to wear a shitty bit of plastic on your wrist? Use the money for something more worthwhile.

Like one of these?  4

http://www.cyclismas.com/2013/01/team-bioflow-issue-total-recall-after-t...

Fran The Man | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, guys. I've ordered a Bike Pure wristband and will wear it as soon as it arrives. I still think the graphite/white ideas works ......

Psycling | 11 years ago
0 likes

Try Bike pure. Cycling weekly once did transparent ones "I support drug free sport"

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

As advertised on the Bike Pure site, One of their team's sponsors are Sportsagid.......go to their website and spot the odd one out.......  19

http://www.sportstagid.com/about-id-bracelets-sportstagid/famous-people-...

Raleigh replied to Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

As advertised on the Bike Pure site, One of their team's sponsors are Sportsagid.......go to their website and spot the odd one out.......  19

LOL.

Anyway, kind of weird/awkward that my LIVEstrong band broke around the time Armstrong was convicted. Did that happen to anyone else?

(  19 )

jamesfifield | 11 years ago
0 likes

Dave beat me to it!

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

it's a bit busy right now but it'll be back...

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments