Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Newport Velodrome Hire Bikes

Does anybody know what these are?

Is it really true that you're not allowed to change the pedals?

Ta

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Dutchie | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gkam yeah all the cyclists in the Glasgow area are riding at the Chris Hoy Velodrome, you have to do a four part accreditation before you're qualified to ride unsupervised. I just did part one and am booked for part two. Pity it's far away from you, but i reckon you couldn't ride it anyway? They don't have trikes...

Peter_Mould | 11 years ago
0 likes

My sister went there last December and she had a great time. She told me you couldn’t change pedals, so buy some cheap cleats if you are going. Look Deltas work fine. Remember to bring gloves! I think they aren’t provided by them. Good idea to stay somewhere nearby, because it can get quite tiring cycling on the tracks. My sister wished she had read this thread before going though. There wasn’t much food there and she was starving! I might want to check it out too someday. I’ve just switched to cycling after my last car was sold due to faulty swirl flaps.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Everyone on this thread is very well placed in the post count!

Like I said above, its a selection day for a Development team, very nervous!

Hopefully it will be mostly based on the interview and CV, I can spew like noone else.

"Just wanna be a great ambassador for the sport, representing all clean riders my age..."

Oh, and d'you remember when I broke my wrist?

Yeah; Meadowbank...

Some old guy came down at me off the steep bit, his pedal went into my rear wheel and sliced all the spokes.

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

How far are you from the new one in Glasgow (I know nothing about Scottish geography except that there are a) lots of hills and b) lots of rain clouds)?

I've had a whiz round the one in Manchester and that was pretty fun, I'd certainly recommend it, I even managed to have some fun despite seeing a junior come off around the banking and plummet right through a group of riders in the session before me...

Gkam84 replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

How far are you from the new one in Glasgow (I know nothing about Scottish geography except that there are a) lots of hills and b) lots of rain clouds)?

150 miles from Glasgow. Are you talking about the Chris Hoy one?

Can the public go and use it?

There are lots of hills here, rain clouds are slowly disappearing because we've had our first snow of the year  20

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

i'm wondering how long it'll be before someone outstrips me and tony on the comment count. not that long i imagine. gkam's the favourite.

the pinarellos are fine, though they vary. if you get one that feels a bit shonky just ask them to change it, they're pretty laid back

Gkam84 replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

i'm wondering how long it'll be before someone outstrips me and tony on the comment count. not that long i imagine. gkam's the favourite.

That's because I never shut up  105

Let us know how you get on Raleigh, always fancied a spin on a velodrome, just none around here.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

(Yay, Simon E got his 1000th post, join the club)

Thanks, yep, for a few hours I was desperately searching the internet for a track bike... I was going to get a Franco Bianco ANYWAY, but they\re not ready for a couple of weeks.

Yer, I'll just buy some deltas and swap out my SPD-SL's. I'll be adept at cleat switching by the end of the weekend.

I've ridden on track before, at Herne Hill, Welwyn and Meadowbank, the latter is pretty much exactly the same sans roof.

Really looking forward to it, not sure my dad is though (2-3 hour drive). Still, he can walk the dog on the Beacons.

Simon E replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

(Yay, Simon E got his 1000th post, join the club)

Thanks. 1000 posts, bloody hell that's a lot of typing! I hope some of them have been worth reading. Here goes, 1001 and counting  3

I'm sure the Pinas are fine. Last time I rode one of the Giants and really liked it, but that would have been in my head and nothing to do with the bike vs the Pinarellos.

The Beacons is a fair way to go just to walk the dog. Wouldn't somewhere on the levels, near Llanwern for instance, be easier?[/quote]

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

We went last December, the club booked the track for 3 hours with a coach (IIRC it was Garrie Tillett, who was great). The Pinarellos have Look Delta cleats and they will fit toe straps for trainers. No, you can't change the pedals. They also have some Giant models, also with Look Delta cleats.

Bike hire was £7 for Adults and £4 for Juniors. They had at least one 24" wheeled bike for younger children. You won't be allowed to ride without a helmet and mitts. Gloves are not provided so make sure you bring some.

I bought some Delta cleats and fitted them to my road shoes (tricky walking on the polished floor, not as easy as SPD-SLs). TBH if you have trainers or remove the existing cleats from your cycling shoes you'll go just as well using toe clips done up nice and tight - proper trackie retro!  1

BYI food and energy drinks and yes, you'll surely need them. The vending machine on site is not great but there's a cafe of sorts in the building next door for before/after. The velodrome is not heated so bring something to throw on in between sessions. The changing rooms have showers if you want a proper wash.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Hmm. I think I'm going to take the plunge and get the cleats. The reason I'm going is for selection for a team, so I don't want to be at a disadvantage.

handlebarcam | 11 years ago
0 likes

I believe you can also hire bikes with toe straps, allowing you to use flat-soled trainers, if you don't feel that the cost or hassle of changing cleats would be worth it. As for accommodation, I've stayed at the Labuan Guest House which is about a mile away, on the same side of Newport, and is clean, cheap, and they'll let you put a bike in the shed in their back garden (or they did a couple of years ago the last time I was there.) They do breakfast but not dinner. If you find somewhere decent to eat out in Newport, please do post it here for future reference, and also send it to Ripley's Believe It or Not, although they might not believe you (the tourist board probably don't like it, but this song seems like a fairly fair representation of the town from my visits.)

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cheers Dave, thanks for the info!

0 likes

yeah, just buy some cleats. ribble have them for £8 or so

the brecons and the forest of dean (and the bit in between) are chock full of lovely road rides. abergavenny's a good base.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Shall I just buy some? (cleats)

Thanks Pepita, I'll remember to take my clear lenses.

Errm, anything else I should know?

Thinking about going the night before (from London) and staying somehwere near, anywhere recommended?

Is there anywhere good to ride on road?

Cheers

pepita1 | 11 years ago
0 likes

And bring cycling glasses with clear lenses. Spinning around in circles really dries the eyes.

0 likes

you have to pay cash money for them, i think they're a tenner. best to check they have 'em though

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Cleats available? Can I just put them on my shoes?

0 likes

bring some decent gloves because the bars are minimally padded at best  39

0 likes

They're steel pinarellos. and you're not allowed to change the pedals, no. Look Deltas. cleats available at the velodrome, normally

Latest Comments