Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Justifying a new bike

So I was in the LBS the other day just to get a couple of bits, and did a double-take at the Cervelo stand, and the price reductions. Now I've not really considered a Cervelo before, but that's down to price I suppose.

So anyway, after drooling, I went out on the club run on Sunday morning. Having been laid up with injuries and whatnot and an enforced break from riding until recently, I've done a few rides before going back out with the group, but was promptly dropped before we'd even hit the climbs. So, is it a bit ridiculous to go and buy something as flash as a Cervelo when I'm struggling to keep up?!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wiggins is only flat back in a TT, and even then only in shorter ones.

His and Froome's position this year was distinctly more upright, like Cadel's and Martin's.

Difficult to tell which one works better, its an aero/power trade off.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wouldn't the aeroness of the bike make up for you acclaimed unaeroness?

The R3 is an absolutely amazing bike.

Trouble is, every ride you do until you get one you'll be slightly disappointed that you aren't on it NOW.

Was exactly the same with me and ma cervelo.

Aero is the way forward.

Just ask Gerard.

notfastenough replied to Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

Wouldn't the aeroness of the bike make up for you acclaimed unaeroness?

The R3 is an absolutely amazing bike.

Trouble is, every ride you do until you get one you'll be slightly disappointed that you aren't on it NOW.

Was exactly the same with me and ma cervelo.

Aero is the way forward.

Just ask Gerard.

Nope. Just think about the frontal area of a bike. Bars, stem, head tube, wheel, forks. Not a lot, even on a non-aero bike. So improving on that is a game of diminishing returns. Then take a nicely aero rider like Wiggo (I'd kill to be able to get my back that flat!). When on the hoods or drops, his frontal area is his head, shoulders, upper arms, hands. Greater air displacement than the bike, in other words. Then add the torso for a rider like me who sits at a 45 degree(ish) angle so can't head their main body mass behind their head/shoulders.

To be honest, I started this thread when I was a bit pissed off that I hadn't regained my fitness yet, but it is coming. I'm not going to race, I just want to crack along at a decent pace and enjoy myself. And yes, it's my cash and I work hard for it. I may have to arrange a test ride or three.

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well I'll be fit again by the spring without a doubt. As it is I'm doing a long ride on a Sunday, an interval session (via a spinning class on the now darker evenings) on a Tuesday, and a 1 hour tempo ride on a Thursday, plus stretching and core conditioning. A turbo is tempting, but could only see myself fitting in maybe 1 extra ride a week, so not sure I can see the point really.

If I was to go for the bike, it would probably be the R3. Despite years of martial arts, I've never been flexible enough to get down over the bars for long periods, so an aero bike for a non-aero person would be daft.

Super Domestique | 11 years ago
0 likes

There is always the n + 1 equation my friend!

Don't worry about having a nice bike but not being unable to keep up. I am the same and even look like I should be fit! Doesn't mean I am that fast though!!!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Not only is it a work of art, but each model represents the pinnacle of bicycle design for its intended purpose.

Eg: P5 World Class Ironman Bike
S2 Used for 'being in the break all day'
R5 One of the lightest production frames on the face of the earth (ca) it is also exceptionally stiff.

Personally, I recommend an S series bike, as does Gerard Vroomen, who say that the aerodynamic models will always be faster, even on mountain stages.

Hell, why not put some nice wheels on a Cervelo?

Enve? Zipp? You name it.

The Good Shepherd | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's not ridiculous to buy something because you like it, dude. It's your money to do with as you wish and no one really has the right to criticise you for doing so.

A Cervelo is a work of art as much as a bike, so even if you never rode it you could still have it on display in your home.

Win-win situation.

Simon E replied to The Good Shepherd | 11 years ago
0 likes
The Good Shepherd wrote:

It's your money to do with as you wish and no one really has the right to criticise you for doing so.

Absolutely.

Raleigh wrote:

Not only is it a work of art, but each model represents the pinnacle of bicycle design for its intended purpose.

Let's be honest, there are other bikes that are also incredibly good, they just don't have that name on the down tube. Some examples:
Boardman (World Cup & Olympic triathlon champs and more), Giant TCR Advanced, Specialized Venge and Tarmac, Pinarello Dogma, Colnago C59....
Each may or may not tick your box aesthetically and the marketing methods may differ from Cervelo but in the end they are all top notch frames.

The real answer is to ride what makes you happy.

0 likes

4 I'm not suggesting it's going to make me quicker, I was just wondering whether I'd be a spanner for doing it now!

Maybe I'll set myself a goal - hit it and get rewarded!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

A cervelo will make you faster.

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

A Cervelo won't really help you get up hills any faster and £2,500 is a lot of money. However, if riding one would genuinely make you happier...

Otherwise buy some decent wheels - if you think you'll benefit from them - and start getting the miles in.

"It ain't wot yer got it's wot yer do wivit" (or something like that).

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Go up grades dont buy up-grades

*"Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades."

And as for the bike...

R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5 R5!

0 likes

Can't remember the S2 price. Otherwise, I think it went:

R3: £2.5k
R5: £3.1k
S5: £3.5 or 4.k-ish

R both with SRAM Force and Ksyrium Equipes, S with (I think) Red and deep-section Mavics.

@zzgavin - you may have a point with the turbo etc. I know what you mean regarding muscle memory, I can still do my martial arts from some time ago, just because of the sheer time/effort put in over a few years. Maybe a pair of equipes (which is what's on the R3 anyway), together with a turbo, a garmin and couple of sufferfest videos would be a better bet.

road ronin replied to notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

as the great man said

Go up grades dont buy up-grades  4

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

How much for an S2? R5?

zzgavin | 11 years ago
0 likes

buy some lighter wheels and use the now spare set on a turbo with the sufferfest, save the nice wheels for the spring, when you'll emerge newly honed =)

or just keep plugging away over the winter to much the same effect. It takes about six weeks to regain fitness, if the break is not too long and you'd been exercising for a year or more beforehand. Less than six months of exercise fades quickly, more than that and your body kind of remembers, woolly science I know, but there is a physiological threshold for fitness that you pass at about six months of training.

0 likes

To clarify, I was doing ok fitness-wise until I had that break. Dunno how long it might take me to get back to where I was.

Just riding a generic far-east carbon thing with SRAM Apex and heavy wheels.

bashthebox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yes.
Although if buying a Cervelo would give you the impetus to go out more often and get fit, then it could be worth its weight in gold (what's 6.8kg of gold worth?).

What are you riding at the moment?

Latest Comments