Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Trying to ride safer - at night.

Hi All,
in the everyday toil of trying to stay alive whilst riding at night, I thought I may pass on what I think may have helped. I know some might think these are a bit 'magoo' but if it gets me seen then I don't mind. They cost me 99p for a handfull from Lidl a few months ago and they work a treat - can be seen from just about any angle, and when you are going you can't help but be seen - they clip on to spokes, mudguard stays or anything that is slim enough.
Try them.
Photo done on iPhone with a small torch for lighting.
Hope it helps

Regards

Trikeman.  3

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Simon E | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the recommendations for static front light. For urban riding one with good side spill is a very good idea. My Cateye LD600 on the seat post (with SP5/SP6 clamp, not the crap one supplied with the light) has been great.

I have cut some small pieces of this stuff to stick onto the rear of my helmet as I think I'm more at risk from drivers behind me on the country lanes I use most of the time and my head is more likely to catch the headlights than the spokes (I also have PD22 pedal reflectors on my SPD pedals). May put some strips on the frame of the winter bike too.

Hi-viz orange or yellow is good in dull conditions but no use at night.

BTW if someone wants an Anklelite let me know as I have one unused, still on the card, £3 should cover the postage.

Hoopdriver | 11 years ago
0 likes

A good tail light is essential - a Cateye 1100 is about the brightest. Have seen, with 10 LEDs including side mounted ones fir added visibility from the side. Get a good constant beam from light. Schwalbe marathon tyres, and probably others as well (I mention Schwalbes because they are a classic commuter tyre) have reflective sidewalls. Add some high visibility clothing.

Equally important is to ride where you can be seen - not teetering in the gutter or in the shadows. Take the lane.

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can recommend this for side visibility:

http://road.cc/content/review/23144-lightweights-reflective-tape

they do spoke adhesives too

brittleware | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's switchable, fixed or flashing. And large - about 4cm across the lens. I see you're point Andyp though!

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you care about her, get a constant front light too.

brittleware | 11 years ago
0 likes

When my youngest daughter went up to Uni recently, I fitted these - albeit the Halfrauds version - to her bike.

(Plus "Pedalite LED pedals, a 5 LED Cateye rear light and a serious flashing front light.)

I still have some reflectors left over, they'll go on my Shimano mountain bike. They're a very good idea.

Latest Comments