Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Forget the cycling - The Alternative Armstrong Legacy

Part of me can deal with the fact that he cheated the Peleton, bullied his team mates who were working towards his victories and lied to the cycling world, but what I can't and never will forgive is the lies he has spouted to his LiveStrong charity.

Having lost someone to cancer, I always hoped that he was clean. In my naive way and after watching someone go through chemo, I really didn't want to believe that someone who had survived all those chemicals being pumped around their system would willing want to put some uncontrolled sh!t in their bodies all for the sake of winning a bike race. How wrong was I?

I would love Lance to read this (but I don't suppose he will) but I'd like him to know how he has not only let the world of cycling down, but has let all the cancer sufferers down who looked to him for inspiration in their battle against the disease and their families and loved ones too.

If he is as clean as he says, where is the fight? He's destroyed other people’s reputations for saying less.

If he is guilty as charged, I hope he is truely ashamed. The WORLD is looking at you with total disgust and people like Lance Armstrong should never be allowed to prosper.

I would never wish him ill health, but I'd be quite happy if he was financially ruined by all this. Let’s hope Nike and Trek sues him for fraud, because that is what he is guilty of.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Tjuice | 11 years ago
0 likes

Some good discussion above.

The one thing that struck me as I was reading it all was how devastating it would be if people started turning against (and stopping funding) an organisation that was a real force for good and had such a positive impact on people's lives.

LA has now removed himself from Livestrong - perhaps we must now all allow Livestrong to become so much greater than the man who initially founded it.

Let us break the connection between the yellow wristbands and Lance Armstrong, and instead use them to proclaim to the world that we are proud to support the fight against cancer and that one man cannot undermine that.

daddyELVIS | 11 years ago
0 likes

What you need to remember is that Lance was a cyclist. If he hadn't have gotten cancer, he'd still have cheated, and the other 90% (conservative estimate) of the peloton would also still have cheated. If he hadn't recovered from cancer, that same 90% of the peloton would still have cheated. It was a fact of professional cycling life. The guy was a doping cyclist (who happened to win a lot) - not better, no worse than the other doping cyclists (and cheats from other sports). Any one would think he murdered children or started illegal wars, the way he's been talked about recently. Oh, and I don't see all the other cyclists, the reporters, the magazines, the bike companies, the sports-wear companies, etc, offering to give back all the money they earned during that era. And I don't hear the current crop of cyclists (on football-level salaries and endorsement contracts) offering to reduce their earnings back to a level they would be at if the 'Lance effect' had never happened. There are a lot of hypocrits out there, happily taking the coin, but only too willing to shoot the goose that laid the golden egg!

CycleGringo | 11 years ago
0 likes

You've got to remember that if Lance told the truth he would be financially ruined which is maybe not a bad thing. However he would go to prison for quite a long time for lying under oath and also defrauding the USA government! When you defraud the USA goverment you go to jail full stop.

Also what about all the people that did believe in him and still do? Maybe that's why he cant come and tell the truth. The guy is dammed if he does and dammed if he don't which is a real hellish place to be!

If the UCI didn't cover up the positive test then we would never be in this mess. Lance would have been caught and that would have been that.

That's the problem with lying, you get so used to it that it becomes your truth. You get yourself in to a big hole that only God can get you out of if he wants to.

I however do think Lance will come clean but who knows when that will be.

I feel sorry for those that did look up to him. I did to. I met him 3 times in total the first during the cycle in Paisley then Dornoch and also chat on the Col du Tourmalet in 2010.

Another phoney...bang bang bang! What a sad world.

Fran The Man | 11 years ago
0 likes

Awesome amount of sense here .... awesome.

I, too, was a Lance believer. I bought a yellow wristband in 2004 and never took it off until .... this weekend, as I was pulling off my cycling jersey after a spin round Richmond Park, the band came off with the jersey. Accident, fate, a sign or what? It hasn't - and won't - go back on.

Sympathy to all you guys who have lost people to cancer. Your hope deserves better than to have been let down by a sporting cheat.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

No probs mate, didn't take offence, perhaps my wording was a bit askew.

mavisto | 11 years ago
0 likes

Stumpy

Sorry I didn't mean to imply that you supported LA. It was a general comment on people who do support him, it was not directed at you specifically.

petejuk | 11 years ago
0 likes

The package that he delivered through Livestrong was that he was the cyclist who survived cancer AND won 7 Tours de France. It is this whole package that has always been touted by Armstrong and also it is the complete package that provided so much inspiration to so many. To find out now that he cheated and, furthermore spent years lying and bullying others who questioned him must make some of those who were inspired feel that the rug has been pulled from beneath their feet.
I sympathise with those who looked towards him for inspiration, especially those fighting cancer. Armstrong's deceit to them is far greater than that to the cycling world and he owes them a massive apology.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I, personally, dont like the idea that i supported LA and nothing could be further from the truth to be honest.

My comment was merely to point out that he did overcome cancer, whether that was through drugs or pure chance i dont know, but he was a lucky man who has since gone on to ruin everything he appeared to stand and campaign for.

mavisto | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nigel_2003

I agree with many of the things you say and I don't beat myself up for trying to use LA as positive encouragement.

As I stated in my reply to Stumpy, it does however amaze me the number of people who still support LA.

Maybe part of the reason I'm so anti LA is that my wife didn't survive the illness, but the fact that he appears to have lied for most of his life doesn't give me any confidence that he will now start telling the truth. Plus, what else has he lied about?

Nigel_2003 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mavisto, I lost my father to cancer, so I hope you'll understand my comments below are made with best intentions. You shouldn't feel bad about citing LA as a beacon of hope to your wife - if it HAD helped her deefeat the disease, you wouldn't care about the cheating aspect.. And if it gave her hope and eased her thoughts that's a positive. As to his cheating, yes deplorable but even finishing the Tour without going outside the time limits after his illness would have made an amazing story, never mind winning. That alone should serve as encouragement to cancer-sufferers - after all, EPO was developed to help people recover from the effects of chemo and as you observe, beating cancer is largely down to chemistry, he just went those steps further, into the darkness. The other saving grace in the whole story is that he's genuinely passionate about fighting cancer and helping sufferers. Bottom line is don't beat yourself up for believing the dream and trying to encourage your wife with it - it was the right thing to do aat the time. I hope this comment hasn't upset you - not my intent and if it has, I apologise.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

mavisto, my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Your response clearly shows my lack of insight in such matters and i apologise if anything i said has upset you.

mavisto replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

mavisto, my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Your response clearly shows my lack of insight in such matters and i apologise if anything i said has upset you.

Stumpy, nothing you have said has upset me.

However, it does surprise me the number of people who are prepared to defend LA. And that I don't understand. Having survived cancer doesn't give you an excuse to lie and cheat.

Quite seriously, I have actually wondered if the chemo and the brain surgery have damaged the frontal lobes of his brain. If you read "The Chimp Paradox" by the doctor attributed to helping Team Sky and Team GB, he explains that these are the areas that influence personality and how damage to this area can seriously affect a persons behavior.

Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

You should never forget that he DID beat cancer and fought like mad to do it, an inspiration on that part  41

What he did afterwards will never be forgotten or forgiven but you cant knock him for his fight againt his own cancer.

mavisto replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes

I know he battled cancer (not sure if you can ever beat it) but I genuinely feel betrayed by how he has subsequently behaved.

I know I shouldn't feel this way and it is totally irrational as I've never met the guy, but I really feel he has let cancer sufferers down all over the world.

Whatever anyone tells you, you don't beat cancer yourself, it's not something you can just get over, it is a very clever cocktail of drugs (and surgery in his case). Having watched someone go through it, you are not in control of the journey, you are solely a passenger.

My wife died the same year he 'won' his first Tour. The fact that I tried to encourage her to fight by giving him as an example upsets me greatly 13 year later.

Whether he has beaten cancer or not, I hate the man for the false hope and trust he has given to people. Given their fragile physical and mental state, I hope he's not done any permanent damage to anyone.

I don't know why I am writing all this because Lance will never read it, but instead of getting myself worked up, I can at least express my feeling and formulate them into a hopefully coherent diatribe and let them out onto the www.

Lacticlegs replied to Stumps | 11 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

You should never forget that he DID beat cancer and fought like mad to do it, an inspiration on that part  41

What he did afterwards will never be forgotten or forgiven but you cant knock him for his fight againt his own cancer.

You should never forget he probably gave himself cancer in the first place! Abuse of testosterone and steroids (both of which he supposedly used heavily from 1994) are both high risk for that disease.

Who gives a crap if he fought it and won? Plenty of arseholes out there are contrary types who'll fight anyone and anything - Lance-dickhead-Armstrong is just another one of them.

Stumps replied to Lacticlegs | 11 years ago
0 likes
Lacticlegs wrote:
stumps wrote:

You should never forget he probably gave himself cancer in the first place! Abuse of testosterone and steroids (both of which he supposedly used heavily from 1994) are both high risk for that disease.

Who gives a crap if he fought it and won? Plenty of arseholes out there are contrary types who'll fight anyone and anything - Lance-dickhead-Armstrong is just another one of them.

A bit of an extreme view, but nonetheless you could be right.

andyp | 11 years ago
0 likes

'really didn't want to believe that someone who had survived all those chemicals being pumped around their system would willing want to put some uncontrolled sh!t in their bodies all for the sake of winning a bike race.'
People do this for far less reward than winning a bike race. It's no surprise to me in the slightest. Regularly used to see people standing outside the chemo suite, holding their IV tree and smoking. No millions of pounds at stake there, they just liked smoking. Made me wonder what was the point of it. Then you remember the thousands who don't act like idiots afterwards and it gives you the motivation to keep on trying to beat cancer.

Latest Comments