Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Is my frame cracked?

I recently had a fall where my front wheel went into someone's rear wheel.
When i got back home i found a small mark on the top tube of the frame where i think my bars collided with the top tube. There's no visible damage to my aluminum bars or the bar tape.
I'm not sure if the carbon is damaged as I've tapped the mark and it didn't make a different sound when compared to tapping other parts of the top tube. I'm not sure if i should be concerned.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here's the photo:

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I just celled up fibre-lyte and am about to send them some photos of the damage. I originally wanted to contact carbon cycle repairs but it seems like nobody is answering the phone or replying the emails.

They gave me a rough quote of about 50-60 quid which i recon is pretty decent.
Has anyone used them before?

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the link to Focus, i have just sent them the photo and an inquiry.
The reply from Wiggle basically said that they can't do anything because they don't stock that model anymore and they have ceased to purchase from the supplier.

Would a carbon frame repair be fine if i can't get anything from Focus?

step-hent replied to alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes
alston251 wrote:

The reply from Wiggle basically said that they can't do anything because they don't stock that model anymore and they have ceased to purchase from the supplier.

Did a bit of research on carbon frame repairs recently and they seem to be fine if done properly (like any repair) - and are much more economical than a new frame! There's a few options around. Try Fibre-Lyte - they gave me the most reasonable quote - or Carbonology (I ended up buying a repair kit from them for a small crack in a round seatstay. Haven't tried it yet though!).

Hope that helps.

Kapelmuur replied to alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes
alston251 wrote:

No doubt a lawyer will correct me if I'm wrong, but the responsibility is with the retailer not the manufacturer re the Sale of Goods Act.

Goods have to be 'fit for purpose' and a bike frame that cannot withstand a predictable impact clearly isn't.

mathewshotbolt replied to Kapelmuur | 11 years ago
0 likes
Crosshouses wrote:
alston251 wrote:

No doubt a lawyer will correct me if I'm wrong, but the responsibility is with the retailer not the manufacturer re the Sale of Goods Act.

Goods have to be 'fit for purpose' and a bike frame that cannot withstand a predictable impact clearly isn't.

frames aren't designed to be impacted by handlebars. If you try your luck with Focus they'll likely call you on it as they will know where the bars would have contacted.

a mid-toptube crack in a frame with that much localisation can only be from an accident.

Your best bet would be honesty and they will likely offer you a crash replacement for a great deal less than a new frame cost.

Bird On A Bike | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have you seen carbon fail catastrophically? I have. It's not pretty and the resulting shards are sharp and lethal. You don't want to be sitting astride a top tube when it does go! If you're in any doubt, at all, don't ride it. I'd get in touch with Focus themselves, not Wiggle. They will know the tube strength/thickness etc and will be able to assess the problem.

I hope this helps.

http://www.focus-bikes.com/int/en/service/contact.html

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's a Focus Cayo. Only got it in june or something, so bit annoyed really. It was only around 20 odd mph as well. I've emailed Wiggle to ask about the warranty already, but no reply yet.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

What make of frame and age of it?

I'd go back to the manufacturer and give them a "half truth" not that you went down or anything. Just that you hit a pot hole and you saw a crack on the frame when you got home.  3

You might get a nice free replacement  26

So try that first and see, then look at other options  19

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I didn't have any car polish on hand so i tried some furniture polish then tried some Brasso.

The area now has lost the matte finish and has gone glossy but the marks are still present. Also, you can feel the cracks coming out of the frame. So i think it's pretty evident that the frame is cracked.
So, should i run the risk and keep riding it or get a carbon repair or get a replacement?

Bobbys boys | 11 years ago
0 likes

Car polish works fine

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Frame polish or furniture polish?

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I would just get a cloth and some polish and give it a wipe. See what happens. Just a normal wipe down.

alston251 | 11 years ago
0 likes

It's a matte lacquer/ varnish finish. No I haven't really tried anything on it yet. I'm just trying to get as many opinions as possible first before doing anything.
I was gonna ride it when the road rash heals up better and see if the cracks propagates.

Cheers

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Have you tried polishing it up to see if its just a mark?

Also, what type of finish is it? To me it just looks like cracking in the finish  39

p.s. I like your weapon's  4

Latest Comments

• OnYerBike 0 sec ago

Wax tends to last longer than wet lube between applications (although varies depending on brand of wax/lube). So, however frequently (or...

• Steve Williams 5 min 31 sec ago

Personally I find have my arms wider just makes it that little bit easier to breathe - I wonder if others do too? Got to love the toe clips, 5mm...

• mattw 27 min ago

The road is an in-out No Motor Vehicles Except Access loop with no vehicle access in the middle of the loop ie effectively a crescent....

• cyclisto 45 min 10 sec ago

I understand that if it is on sale, most likely it will be sold. I am just trying to understand its benefits....

• DJameson 53 min 17 sec ago

My regular Aldi is urban, and the bike racks are heavily used and fantastic. I appreciate that they're right outside the plate glass, so any...

• Rendel Harris 1 hour 16 sec ago

So, just as an example, what had five-month-old twins Naeim and Wissam Abu Anza, killed in an Israeli airstrike on a civilian house, done in their...

• Rod Marton 1 hour 22 min ago

The good news is that GWR no longer insist on bike bookings. Though this doesn't solve all the other issues with carrying bikes on GWR trains....

• Steve K 1 hour 55 min ago

On the subject of other vehicles blocking cycle lanes, there is a point on the Croydon Tram between Waddon and West Croydon where it is designed in...

• daccordimark 2 hours 8 min ago

I've had one of these since November and agree it's good value for money. For me, the ride is a bit harsh and I can't really detect any comfort...

• mark1a 2 hours 39 min ago

I tried something similar with some timber and a pair of Delta hitches, with (unlike yourself) limited success, and so for people like myself with...